Couple of Q+As From New Owner :)

karlp606

1 hour ago, JohnnyUK said:

the two rear drain holes are located under the clamshell. take the hard top off and put the roof in service mode. There is a foam tray on each side that collects water. Clear the drain holes and check for tears in the tray. The door membrane could also be torn. 

thanks matey, rear was dry but front 2 were blocked there was about a inch of water in the front compartment, just in the process of clearing it out.

Could this cause the passenger seat dampness? 

9 hours ago, karlp606 said:

Just pulled the passenger seat forward and the lifted the carpet and its very damp under the rubber membrane :/ could this be blocked drainer?

Ive currently got the hardtop on.

pics here;

IMG_6306.JPG

7 minutes ago, karlp606 said:

thanks matey, rear was dry but front 2 were blocked there was about a inch of water in the front compartment, just in the process of clearing it out.

Could this cause the passenger seat dampness? 

It it wet all the way from behind the seat to the front, or just that area in the photo?

Do you have both Roof Splash Guards (RSGs)  fitted and are they positioned correctly. If not that will cause water ingress to that area behind the seat. They are the plastic pieces attached to the clamshell arms:

IMG_2644_zpsef7c782d

7 minutes ago, karlp606 said:

I'll check the splash guards matey and the water was just at the back of the seat, around the ecu was dry.

Sounds like the RSGs then. Assuming you have them, then to check they are positioned correctly try to slide them along the arm - If they move they aren't fitted correctly.

There is a circular section that has to be positioned over one of the nuts on the arm:

NutRecess_zps8041a39f

In the next shot, the nut is the green arrow:

SplashZone_zps74932ac3

If its not on right, then this is what will happen during heavy rain. (The internal door pillar trim has been removed here, but the water that splashes over the rear foam insulation runs down the inside and goes to that section behind seat)

18 hours ago, Gutley said:

Sounds like the RSGs then. Assuming you have them, then to check they are positioned correctly try to slide them along the arm - If they move they aren't fitted correctly.

There is a circular section that has to be positioned over one of the nuts on the arm:

NutRecess_zps8041a39f

SplashZone_zps74932ac3

If its not on right, then this is what will happen during heavy rain. (The internal door pillar trim has been removed here, but the water that splashes over the rear foam insulation runs down the inside and goes to that section behind seat)

Updates from this morning;

Thanks @Gutley I do have the SGs and the rear drain holes are running clear had half a kettle down them this morning, the front passenger side hole doesnt have the gromet in though not sure if this could cause a back up?

I've spoke to the previous owner and he had the drain holes cleared and also had a small hole drilled into the bottom of the car just behind the passenger seat in case there was any leak it wouldn't over spill into the ECU compartment - so the dampness could have been caused by the motorway drive I did whilst it was torrential and the water from under the car has spewed through the small hole?

The central locking is now working fine button lights and can lock/unlock but the rear windscreen/heated mirrors button is still not lighting up, I've checked the fuse, D3 I think it is and its not blown so Im abit stumped on this one?? Ive now taken off the hard top as I though it could be a dodgy connection with the wire form the hardtop but still nothing :(

I presume that you are pressing the right part of the button - I know that sounds funny, but I initially pressed where the light is rather than the image of the window on the switch. Does that make sense..? Perhaps it is working but the bulb has gone

4 minutes ago, Dwdg said:

I presume that you are pressing the right part of the button - I know that sounds funny, but I initially pressed where the light is rather than the image of the window on the switch. Does that make sense..? Perhaps it is working but the bulb has gone

Haha yeh dude dont worry Ive pressed it a few times but nothing :(

Hmmm I suppose only way to check is check wing mirrors? Would you be able to feel any heat coming off the wing mirrors or a change in surface temperature?

14 minutes ago, karlp606 said:

Haha yeh dude dont worry Ive pressed it a few times but nothing :(

Hmmm I suppose only way to check is check wing mirrors? Would you be able to feel any heat coming off the wing mirrors or a change in surface temperature?

Yes, at this time of year you should feel the mirror warm up by hand. Feel it before turning on and the see what it’s like 5 mins later. Fully functioning would give a noticeable difference. 

If they’ve never been replaced I wouldn’t be surprised if the glass has separated from the heating element. Same happened to me so had to replace. 

21 hours ago, Gutley said:

NutRecess_zps8041a39f

SplashZone_zps74932ac3

Thanks for posting this @Gutley! I have these guards and have had problems with the drivers side one not staying in place and possibly a cause of dampness behind my drivers seat.

Never knew about the circular section sitting over a nut. Checked today, a satisfying click, and it no longer moves about! Little things :)

27 minutes ago, Sazzy said:

Thanks for posting this @Gutley! I have these guards and have had problems with the drivers side one not staying in place and possibly a cause of dampness behind my drivers seat.

Never knew about the circular section sitting over a nut. Checked today, a satisfying click, and it no longer moves about! Little things :)

Happy to help. Hope it fixes your issue

Archived