Couple of Q+As From New Owner :)

karlp606

Hey guys,

Picked up my Boxster yesterday, after a 440 enjoyable mile drive back I've got some questions:

1. I had the hard top on driving back and the heated windscreen button was not lit and wouldn't work does this only work with the soft top up?

2. The central locking key button on the dash doesnt seen to be doing anything either not lit and I cant hear it locking doors, key fob is working fine.

3. Can you see the spoiler whilst driving over 55-75mph? The spoiler is operating manually but not sure if its coming up whilst driving.

4. I only have 1 key how much would a spare key cost? To be programmed etc.

Thanks in advance guys :)

25 minutes ago, karlp606 said:

Hey guys,

Picked up my Boxster yesterday, after a 440 enjoyable mile drive back I've got some questions:

1. I had the hard top on driving back and the heated windscreen button was not lit and wouldn't work does this only work with the soft top up?

2. The central locking key button on the dash doesnt seen to be doing anything either not lit and I cant hear it locking doors, key fob is working fine.

3. Can you see the spoiler whilst driving over 55-75mph? The spoiler is operating manually but not sure if its coming up whilst driving.

4. I only have 1 key how much would a spare key cost? To be programmed etc.

Thanks in advance guys :)

Sounds like you're not getting power to that side of the dash for some reason if they're not lighting up.

34 minutes ago, That986 said:

Sounds like you're not getting power to that side of the dash for some reason if they're not lighting up.

check the roof works - it's also on the same side

Congratulations, which car did you get? Was it the Silver 2.5 Tiptronic?

Ref the roof, mine is now on after buying last month and taking it off. Connected the cable for the heated window and press button and light goes on. If yours does not, as previously said, check connection is made, lose wires or trapped wire under roof.. and then fuses for that side of switches. The door lock button sounds like there is an issue there.

Glad you got a car - they're great fun to drive!!

11 minutes ago, karlp606 said:

Yes matey :) Thanks will check them this weekend

The 2.5 tip very nice just ordered the clear lights all around.

Great car, not that I'm biased at all?, you can update 'My ride' on your profile now.

Just quoted £218 inc VAT for a key to be done at Hatfield Porsche. It needs reprogramming. They will keep the metal and change the rest. Two button key.

Quick update on the central locking button it is lit but isn't doing anything when I press it, the LED isn't lighting up.

When I drove home tonight the red light lit and the doors locked and then unlocked? Did this a couple of times then stopped. Is there a way to repogram the key for the central locking?

Also think my horn alarm isnt working as its not going off when I set the alarm off from inside the car just lights are flashing, is this an easy DIY?

13 minutes ago, karlp606 said:

Quick update on the central locking button it is lit but isn't doing anything when I press it, the LED isn't lighting up.

When I drove home tonight the red light lit and the doors locked and then unlocked? Did this a couple of times then stopped. Is there a way to repogram the key for the central locking?

Also think my horn alarm isnt working as its not going off when I set the alarm off from inside the car just lights are flashing, is this an easy DIY?

Re the alarm, easy check, its under the drivers side panel next to the battery in the front of , i found mine had been disconnected and simply plugged it back in.

Note you can turn off internal alarm triggering if you press the lock key twice within 3 or 5 seconds of locking the car, I suppose so you can leave a dog or child or wife in there. The car will usually beep to tell you youve pressed it twice but if your alarm sirens disconnected you wouldnt hear that.

28 minutes ago, MakeTeaNotWar said:

Re the alarm, easy check, its under the drivers side panel next to the battery in the front of , i found mine had been disconnected and simply plugged it back in.

Note you can turn off internal alarm triggering if you press the lock key twice within 3 or 5 seconds of locking the car, I suppose so you can leave a dog or child or wife in there. The car will usually beep to tell you youve pressed it twice but if your alarm sirens disconnected you wouldnt hear that.

The panel in footwell or the front boot?

I would get someone to look at the box of tricks under the passenger seat. Check for wet carpets as that box of electronics is prone to water damage. 

Ignition switch (15 quid from VW) and dying battery (80ish from a discount site) can give random electrical problems. 

But it’s all locking problems so something in common there. 

2 hours ago, TimsterC said:

I would get someone to look at the box of tricks under the passenger seat. Check for wet carpets as that box of electronics is prone to water damage. 

Just pulled the passenger seat forward and the lifted the carpet and its very damp under the rubber membrane :/ could this be blocked drainer?

Ive currently got the hardtop on.

pics here;

IMG_6306.JPG

Regarding the spoiler it will raise at 75mph on your dash which is actually something closer to 70mph in reality. When a bumper screw was fouling my spoiler and hindering it raising I was getting a warning on the dash. All sorted, no warning and it works.  

As regards to the heated rear screen I can press the button with the roof down and it does light up but even up it's a pretty long winded attempt at clearing the window. Seems just having the heaters on works just as well. 

the two rear drain holes are located under the clamshell. take the hard top off and put the roof in service mode. There is a foam tray on each side that collects water. Clear the drain holes and check for tears in the tray. The door membrane could also be torn. 

Archived