Coolant tank failed.

el 3.2S

In for a penny, in for a pound as they say. May as well get the thermostat and water pump changed whilst the coolant is drained. I do not think either have ever been changed before.  I fancy a low temp thermostat due to rather extreme temps here in the summer months when my car really does run hot. A quick e bay search throws up these two. Anyone any experience of either of these, or low temp thermostats in general, on a Boxster?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-LOW-TEMP-THERMOSTAT-Kit-996-997-Carrera-S-C4S-Boxster-986-987-Cayman/151509537338?epid=1116421008&hash=item2346ac123a:g:5RYAAOSwaNBUiF8J

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-986-996-987-997-low-temp-thermostat-with-housing-71-C/391575312730?fits=Model%3ABoxster|Plat_Gen%3A986&epid=649133685&hash=item5b2bb5195a:g:m90AAOSw~QRaIGqf

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn’t read all the adverts but could like see quite clearly that at the top of the page in other items is a reference to Wahler. 

I don't believe the stat will help the car run cooler in hot weather... It simply opens earlier. A couple of miles after it opens, you will be at "normal" temp. It's the efficiency of the rads and possibly fans that will control the running temp. 

19 minutes ago, JohnnyUK said:

I don't believe the stat will help the car run cooler in hot weather... It simply opens earlier. A couple of miles after it opens, you will be at "normal" temp. It's the efficiency of the rads and possibly fans that will control the running temp. 

Yes you are probably correct, have just read some related arguments on another forum. As I will be changing it anyway I may as well get one of these, even if it just helps a little bit. Having a flushed system, new coolant, crack free tank and a new cap will likely make more of a difference:).

Been browsing water pumps today. Have not been able to find out who makes the original ones? Huge price variation on the bay from £100 to over £300. Interested in this Febi Bilstein one (which is £140) as they are a decent make, I believe - well at least for Opel spares.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Febi-Water-Pump-45251/231512748760?fits=Car+Make%3APorsche|Model%3ABoxster&hash=item35e73c32d8:g:WwoAAOSwv0tVD~oE

Anyone got any thoughts or recommendations?

Are you planing to keep the car longer? If so my suggestions;

- Evans coolant (waterless). Pretty neat as there won't be any boiling.

- radiators stage 1 and 2 should come early, ECU hacking a bit and definitely replace the resistors. With ECU hacking, stage 1 should kick in around 80 degrees so it will keep cooling things down. 

B)

13 minutes ago, ooid said:

Are you planing to keep the car longer? If so my suggestions;

- Evans coolant (waterless). Pretty neat as there won't be any boiling.

- radiators stage 1 and 2 should come early, ECU hacking a bit and definitely replace the resistors. With ECU hacking, stage 1 should kick in around 80 degrees so it will keep cooling things down. 

B)

Am sure it would be great but think I will keep it close to what is there already and (hopefully) within my capabilities :). I remember watching Edd China with waterless coolant on the TR6.

me and my lad did mine about two years ago...ball ache of a job but took us around 5 hours with out breaking a sweat and regular anger management breaks lol..

used the special pliers for getting the spring loaded crimps off, otherwise basic tools and patience and lots of swearing..needed just over a litre of the antifreeze to top up again  and used a second hand tank off ebay which was from steve strange and was in good nick..all the reads on it sl*g off the second user tank but mine has been fine  and had no problems with it since, cost less than 50 quid all in including fancy pliers off ebay so a winner as i see it...just take your time and be prepared for a few grazed knuckles.....good luck

13 minutes ago, crusher said:

me and my lad did mine about two years ago...ball ache of a job but took us around 5 hours with out breaking a sweat and regular anger management breaks lol..

used the special pliers for getting the spring loaded crimps off, otherwise basic tools and patience and lots of swearing..needed just over a litre of the antifreeze to top up again  and used a second hand tank off ebay which was from steve strange and was in good nick..all the reads on it sl*g off the second user tank but mine has been fine  and had no problems with it since, cost less than 50 quid all in including fancy pliers off ebay so a winner as i see it...just take your time and be prepared for a few grazed knuckles.....good luck

Thanks for that information, it is good to hear. As mentioned I have ordered the special hose clamp removal tool. Good independant garages do not exist where I live and I do not want to use the dealer, so will have a go myself - even if I do not look forward to it. Plan to do a couple of other jobs at the same time and ordered a low temp thermostat today. Going to get a water pump and a belt then decide on the tank. Great that you got a good one so cheap. Have heard good things about that seller. Will keep a look out on e bay, have seen some not too yellow looking ones for reasonable money. Presumably a lot of the time is spent attempting to undo then do up the clamps again? Were you doing the job by lying under the car?

no..we did it from above , but did remove the bolted fire wall for access from inside the car and above as i was replacing the belt anyway..just made it easier for us.

get the whitest tank you can find if choosing second hand and with the latest serial number on if you can as there were quite a few revisions due to the problems with this part.

it really would not be hard to do the water pump and belt at the same time to be honest, my water pump  had been recently done so didn't have the bother but whilst you have easy access and a part drained cooling system , slap the pump in, shouldn't add long to the job..the hard bit is  the clamps and just fidgeting around upside down lol..really needs two of you as it just makes the job less stressful ....... good luck

Excellent, thanks for that information - very useful. I will have a go at doing it that way. Do not have any potential helpers so one man job. Will weigh up cost between new tanks (once I find out what they are locally) and used ones plus shipping from UK. It will make new ones a little more competitive. Have heard they modified the tank several times over the years. Such a bad design - not to mention the fitting procedure.

the fitting procedure is very easy from underneath, with the engine out as they do in the factory!? I looked at removing the hoses at the engine end rather than the bulkhead end as the access looked much easier.  There is one pump bolt which is difficult to access. Tried every combination of socket and small extension... Ended up with a simple 10mm ring spanner... Thankfully it was not too tight.  Have a look at Burners cars on YouTube.. 

3 hours ago, JohnnyUK said:

the fitting procedure is very easy from underneath, with the engine out as they do in the factory!? I looked at removing the hoses at the engine end rather than the bulkhead end as the access looked much easier.  There is one pump bolt which is difficult to access. Tried every combination of socket and small extension... Ended up with a simple 10mm ring spanner... Thankfully it was not too tight.  Have a look at Burners cars on YouTube.. 

Seems like they did not consider the fitting procedure with the engine in! Will check out more Burners videos, have seen several and they are quite informative.

2 hours ago, PaulQ said:

If you've not bought the pump yet then Car Parts For Less have Porsche ones for £167.

Not sure what the shipping will cost to Spain though. Look for VM part and use discount code for 20% off.

Great thanks for the tip. Not bought a water pump yet. I found the VM part, but how do you get the discount? Shipping is only about £8.

Archived