981 PCM Software

Higgy

I have given up on my sat nav (2012 Boxster S) , it is absolutely useless. I am currently in Europe on a road trip. 

I have been using Waze alongside the Porsche sat nav. Last week travelling on a journey from Spain to Portugal, Waze found a route 70miles shorter and 1 hour quicker than the quickest Porsche route, and on fantastic driving roads. Today on the return journey Waze automatically took me on a detour that missed a massive tailback on the motoway. I find it's quicker to respond in knowing where you are,    quicker in following you and pinpointing where you are, and additionally it actually has the address you want to go to ! The Porsche system more often or less doesn't even have the street where you want to go to in Europe.

Best to use the Waze app and just have the Porsche sat nav map on the car screen to give you an overview of your route. A simple holder from Maplin and the phone pluged into the USB in the glove works fine and doesn't look horrid. Now that most telecom networks charge the same rates wherever you are in Europe this is a non brainer. For all the great stuff Porsche does, this is a real weak point. 

16 minutes ago, Waxy said:

Surely the software and map updates should be free if you are having the car serviced with the OPC?! 

The trouble is there must be a license cost for the map data from the provider which someone has to cover, and it apparently takes a minimum of 1.5 hours to update the software at the OPC...

I have had the same order of cost offered to me on several previous cars (most recently BMW).

1 hour ago, rowbos said:

The trouble is there must be a license cost for the map data from the provider which someone has to cover, and it apparently takes a minimum of 1.5 hours to update the software at the OPC...

I have had the same order of cost offered to me on several previous cars (most recently BMW).

Apple never charge when they update their operating systems and this includes their Macs (unlike Microsoft). The same applies for any number of products where software updates are offered regularly and free of charge.

As a customer who has invested thousands of pounds in their product the very least manufacturers can do is offer software updates free of charge.

i say poor show Porsche!

8 minutes ago, Waxy said:

Apple never charge when they update their operating systems and this includes their Macs (unlike Microsoft). The same applies for any number of products where software updates are offered regularly and free of charge.

As a customer who has invested thousands of pounds in their product the very least manufacturers can do is offer software updates free of charge.

i say poor show Porsche!

I would like free software I must admit!  But it appears to be the labour involved in upgrade that has the largest associated cost.   Plus the owner of the map data will need to be paid for the licensed use of said data.  

If Porsche and other manufacturers enable over the air updates as they surely will (Tesla...) then it becomes easier to offer upgrades without the large labour overhead.  We can only hope.  

14 hours ago, Waxy said:

i say poor show Porsche!

I'm an avid Apple user and I like the upgrades - however. Each time a new OS or iOS comes along, it really makes the older hardware versions seem slow. For example iOS11 on an iPhone 6 isn't a great combination (wife's phone) whereas on my 7 it works fine. I think it's a clever way to get you to upgrade the handset regularly and therefore for them to keep selling new units, On mac, the software upgrades sometimes render programmes useless - the latest High Sierra won't allow Final Cut Pro older versions or Lightroom older versions to work without workarounds, which is a pain.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/30/2017 at 1:35 PM, steveyvuk said:

I'm having this exact same issue with Bristol OPC and my Boxster, I requested that the software be updated before I took delivery of the car, they fobbed me off and when it was delivered the software was on v3.41 which dates from around September 2012, Bristol are 'supposed' to be arranging with Portsmouth (my local OPC) to get this updated, although no joy as yet....

I meant to update this, so I finally got my software updated by OPC Portsmouth, all paid for by OPC Bristol, however they only took it up to v3.42, I'm assuming from reading here, this is nowhere near the latest version, so a big waste of time I think.

On the upside they gave me a 718S to rag around in for the day, oh dear :-( is all I can say about the audio track of that engine.

1 hour ago, steveyvuk said:

I meant to update this, so I finally got my software updated by OPC Portsmouth, all paid for by OPC Bristol, however they only took it up to v3.42, I'm assuming from reading here, this is nowhere near the latest version, so a big waste of time I think.

On the upside they gave me a 718S to rag around in for the day, oh dear :-( is all I can say about the audio track of that engine.

Think I'm on V4.76, so yes, it looks like you have a very old version.

I always use Google maps with its live traffic updates etc I find it gr8 here and abroad 

4 hours ago, steveyvuk said:

It depends on the hardware. Older PCM3.1 will only update to 3.42. However, that update includes the 7-digit post code search.  I updated T24RES's software a couple of weeks ago, and found his did the same.

On 1/10/2018 at 7:53 PM, Richard Hamilton said:

It depends on the hardware. Older PCM3.1 will only update to 3.42. However, that update includes the 7-digit post code search.  I updated T24RES's software a couple of weeks ago, and found his did the same.

That's interesting to know, thanks.

I dont care much for postcodes searching on PCM, its faster I think to just put town/street/house number (you still have to select the town and street having put in the postcode anyway so I dont see the point of it!)

Archived