creaking hardtop cure

megapixelmike534@gmail.com

10 hours ago, RickLS7 said:

These were fitted on mine but it still creaked. 

The two long bits of trim down the side were causing it, putting some felt pads between the trim and hardtop cured it.

Any pics of that, mine still creaks even after copious and frequent application of Gummi phledge or however it’s spelt.

It was the two long pieces of plastic trim down the sides, they just clip in.  I pulled mine away at the fronts and the creaking stopped.  Then put some felt pads in between for a permanent solution:

3b0b12c84d3e94304e5b15ecccbe6511--model-

9 hours ago, RickLS7 said:

It was the two long pieces of plastic trim down the sides, they just clip in.  I pulled mine away at the fronts and the creaking stopped.  Then put some felt pads in between for a permanent solution:

3b0b12c84d3e94304e5b15ecccbe6511--model-

Thanks for the pic, so you mean the long curved L shape piece left and right.

Yes, the LH panel on mine creaked like hell.  Probably why it sat on the garage wall for 6 years until I decided to fit it in October and see what the problem was.

It creaked at the front so unclip the trim a few inches and go for a drive and see if that stops it.

On 01/01/2018 at 11:14 PM, RickLS7 said:

Yes, the LH panel on mine creaked like hell.  Probably why it sat on the garage wall for 6 years until I decided to fit it in October and see what the problem was.

It creaked at the front so unclip the trim a few inches and go for a drive and see if that stops it.

Thanks, will give that a go.

I ordered these for my soft top and fitted them this weekend.  I tried it in the cold, which used to make it creak badly and am pleased to report that it was silent.  Cheap fix.

51 minutes ago, mxm1275 said:

I ordered these for my soft top and fitted them this weekend.  I tried it in the cold, which used to make it creak badly and am pleased to report that it was silent.  Cheap fix.

What did you order........?

7 hours ago, mxm1275 said:

A pair of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORSCHE-Boxster-Boxter-Hard-Top-Hardtop-Lug-Covers-NEW/152613910950?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Good luck

On 08/01/2018 at 10:13 PM, pgk188 said:

Ah, I read it as you'd a soft top rattle fix.....sorry!

Yes, it was for my soft top.  The hard top components mentioned before fit the soft top.

On 01/01/2018 at 11:14 PM, RickLS7 said:

I tried at the weekend to unclip but it didn’t seem to want too, I felt I might snap if forced too much, any suggestions, did you unclip in situ or did you take roof off? Any tools required?

Thanks

Thread Hi- Jack ( but hardtop related ) - anyone know of a reasonably priced  source for the front catch cover ?

Mine squeaks , but I cannot bring myself to spend the bucks being asked on flebay for a bit of plastic - I'm too tight !

KT

39 minutes ago, KT986 said:

Thread Hi- Jack ( but hardtop related ) - anyone know of a reasonably priced  source for the front catch cover ?

Mine squeaks , but I cannot bring myself to spend the bucks being asked on flebay for a bit of plastic - I'm too tight !

KT

Call your local OPC - you are very likely to be surprised at the price from them....

On 15/01/2018 at 9:22 AM, the baron said:

I tried at the weekend to unclip but it didn’t seem to want too, I felt I might snap if forced too much, any suggestions, did you unclip in situ or did you take roof off? Any tools required?

Thanks

Mine unclipped quite easily from the front which the roof fitted.  Take it for a run first or use a hair drier to warm the plastic first, wont be as brittle then.

4 hours ago, RickLS7 said:

Mine unclipped quite easily from the front which the roof fitted.  Take it for a run first or use a hair drier to warm the plastic first, wont be as brittle then.

Ok, good idea thanks

On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 11:14 AM, map said:

Call your local OPC - you are very likely to be surprised at the price from them....

Sound advice map - never occurred to me that OPC would be cheaper than OPC - but they are significantly cheaper !

Cant believe the mark up on the prices quoted on  fleabay

KT

2 hours ago, KT986 said:

Sound advice map - never occurred to me that OPC would be cheaper than OPC - but they are significantly cheaper !

Cant believe the mark up on the prices quoted on  fleabay

KT

Good news.  Have learned it is always as well to price check with an OPC when you're looking at parts from any other source.  I think eBay vendors succeed because it is quite easy to find the parts on that site and many folks won't go near an OPC for a whole host of reasons.  

Best thing to do is photograph the area of the car you're looking at and then the specific parts - that way the OPC Parts guys can find it really easily.

If you're spending a chunk of change I now price check several OPCs and one or two other trustworthy sources.  The OPCs don't tend to want to hold onto 986 parts and equipment, if it's on the shelf at the dealership they cannot return it to Porsche so sometimes their pricing can be "pinch me" good just to release the capital and reduce the value and age of the stock.

Out of interest what were the prices for this part from an OPC and eBay?

These are the sorts of parts the OPC has a monopoly on supply. Those eBay parts are either second hand or sourced from Porsche anyway. But it's exactly these parts which tend to be the cheapest. Another great example of this is the fascia panel when you relocate the aircon control to the bottom. Last time I bought it it was about £3 from OPC but was several 100% more on eBay. Brake parts and suspension parts where there is more completion and platform sharing and a ready aftermarket supply are more expensive from OPC. 

Archived