Battery?

Tin Pot

Morning all,

Got in the box this morning, couldn’t open the boot. Ignition did nothing.

Had to run off and get some other things done, now it’s worse. Dash lights indicators are all on and here’s a constant clicking from the left.

Ive taken the key out and it’s still the same.  Car doesn’t lock either.

Is it the battery?

cheers

TP

Can’t open the trunk, but I think I have a battery charger from years ago. Isn’t the battery in the front trunk?

Have had to leave car as is - for some reason the driver side window opened partially - hoping it won’t rain :lol: 

I have in her past managed to get the trunk to pop by connecting up a charger to the fuse box spur.  I assume you're familiar with this procedure? A spare battery and jump leads is better but I have succeeded with a basic charger before (not a trickle charger). 

I assume your car has the electric boot release. 

In  case you're not familiar with the flat battery procedure. You need to put the key to position one first. Then open up the fuse box in the driver footwell, at the bottom there's a red spur that pulls out, it has a copper surface.  It is the positive terminal.  If you have another charged battery connect using jump leads this to the red positive terminal on the battery. 

Next connect up the black set of wires from the door lock loop ie the chromed loop attached to the car body that the door locks against to the battery black terminal. 

Give it a couple of minutes then try the boot release it should now pop the trunk. 

If any of this is beyond you get the Aa or rac out they will get it open in a minute. 

You can always try a battery charger if you have one but if it was working perfectly fine the previous day but is now dead then it's probably not saveable. It will probably have a dead cell. If the battery goes that quickly it's normally a goner.

No lights at all when the ignition key goes in.

Not having much luck. Not clear on attaching the black clips as there’s not much play in the cable. I can strip it back if it helps?

The boot switch does nothing.

9BDFF0CA-6EBE-40DC-AE7D-1255D4F010C6.jpeg

0D419F84-B57B-48AA-8CD9-1E4BE543155F.jpeg

Im not sure but from the pics it looks like the red connection is not clipped to the copper part of the red pull out connection and you need to be sure that the black connection is connected to an earthen body of the car ie no painted part of the car body

28 minutes ago, John2000 said:

Im not sure but from the pics it looks like the red connection is not clipped to the copper part of the red pull out connection and you need to be sure that the black connection is connected to an earthen body of the car ie no painted part of the car body

The copper is exposed on the top as below.

the only part I can see in painted is the arm of the door - will that do?

Still no response though.748B8056-AD2D-4939-8B3D-664945FF3D79.jpeg

BC3FBB88-14F6-4F6D-B4AC-BB34A896163B.jpeg

8 minutes ago, topradio said:

OK, well in that case I think you may have a faulty ignition switch (fairly common fault) and that caused the battery to go flat.

One of these?

https://www.design911.co.uk/mobile/#part;id=833

I still need to get the boot open and the battery charged though.

That's the bit. I would go to a VW dealer and buy it as its a VAG part, about £30. I changed mine as a precaution while I had the dash out and it only took 5 minutes, it is a little more tricky otherwise. I would recommend not buying an aftermarket part online, I did that and the part that arrived looked like it had been made by Fisher Price.

As said earlier you need to make sure that you connect the croc clip to the exposed copper contact and a good -ve connection is the chrome plated lock loop on the door shut.

If you have made a loss connection to the copper red connection and a negative connection to a unpainted part of the cats frame ie the crome door connection and it' not working then under the off side front wing behind the wheel arch there is a cable pull with a loop to pull its an emergency open device for the front bonnet 

18 hours ago, John2000 said:

If you have made a loss connection to the copper red connection and a negative connection to a unpainted part of the cats frame ie the crome door connection and it' not working then under the off side front wing behind the wheel arch there is a cable pull with a loop to pull its an emergency open device for the front bonnet 

This?  It sounds like it broke when I pulled it.

Edit: it did break. It was attached to something plastic in there.

77F25A87-D733-4CA7-83D8-67C93716B61C.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Tin Pot said:

This?  It sounds like it broke when I pulled it.

Edit: it did break. It was attached to something plastic in there.

77F25A87-D733-4CA7-83D8-67C93716B61C.jpeg

No, that's the emergency fuel flap release!

If that was behind the offside front wheel arch cover then yes.

You are not having much luck.

My last suggestion is rig up a cigarette lighter connection with battery condiion on plug into you cigarette lighter connection and connect the crocodile clips to a spare or browwed car battery and try that.

You don' say where you are in the country I'm in the West Mids and have a cigarette lighter connection made up you can browwow if you are close

11 minutes ago, John2000 said:

If that was behind the offside front wheel arch cover then yes.

You are not having much luck.

My last suggestion is rig up a cigarette lighter connection with battery condiion on plug into you cigarette lighter connection and connect the crocodile clips to a spare or browwed car battery and try that.

You don' say where you are in the country I'm in the West Mids and have a cigarette lighter connection made up you can browwow if you are close

I could cycle up but it would take a few days from Kent. Thanks for the offer ;)

Archived