Creaking Clutch

Lennym1984

Hi,

Hoping to tap into your collective wisdom regarding a creaking clutch pedal. It only does it when hot but I can replicate the sound with the engine on or off.

I don't think it is the assist spring (it sounds as if it is coming from the rear offside and can be heard outside the car) but does otherwise sound like an old spring with the creaking corresponding to the movement of the pedal.

In terms of operation, the clutch is fine - no slipping, sensible biting point, no heavier than any other Porsche I have tried, and all gears engage smoothly (even first to second when cold).

I'm not sure when the clutch was last replaced (if indeed it has been) and the car is currently on 67k (It's a 98 2.5 manual (obviously) if that helps). I can easily live with it but wanted to know if it needs immediate attention or whether I can just get it sorted when the time comes for a new clutch (I'm wondering if it is something to do with the slave). It's done it since I bought the car a few months ago and does not appear to have got any worse.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Leo

There was an updated clutch arm and ball pivot that can be retro-fitted which I did when I changed the clutch. I had a creaking from the box as you described. The new arm etc cured that. However mine is a 6 speed, not sure if the 5 speed used the same parts :huh:

Rear offside is where the cables connect. You will see the pivot arm there. Try a simple clean and grease up if it corresponds to that area. 

55 minutes ago, edc said:

Rear offside is where the cables connect. You will see the pivot arm there. Try a simple clean and grease up if it corresponds to that area. 

What's the best way to access it? Rear wheel arch liner off or from the bottom? Thanks in advance

8 minutes ago, golfprorich said:

Just jack it up (safely of course!) and ideally you need to remove a heat shield. But you can squeeze your hand it otherwise. No need to remove wheel arch liners 

Perfect - I'll take a look when I next have it up in the air

2 hours ago, edc said:

Having given this more thought, with the 986 having a hydraulic clutch, surely the only mechanical connection is inside the gearbox between the slave and the pivot arm. 

I'm undoubtedly being stupid but I'm not sure how I can grease that without removing the slave.

Finally, it's Sunday and I'm tired so please humour me!

You're right the only moving clutch parts are inside the box, discounting the slave for arguments sake. However it's always worth checking and greasing the cables....

I asked my indy about my creaking clutch operation when I was buying parts and was told it was more than likely the clutch arm. They were right 

It sounds exactly like this but I could swear it's coming from the driver's side vent (obviously not the actual vent bit that area)

I'm beginning to wonder now if it's just echoing from the cabin and sending me on a wild goose chase

• 2 years later...

Nah I crashed the car instead and bought a Cayman. In the end though, my research lead me to believe that it was nothing to worry about. It's just the clutch fork creaking. There was a revised part to cure it but the general consensus was that the only impact of leaving it be was a creak when hot

There is a plastic pivot for the clutch arm - it's this that creaks, especially when hot.

I had the whole box back out for Revolution to get to the bottom of the noise as it was driving me crazy.... ended up having to live with it.

Archived