Diamond Cut Carrera Classic Wheels - Wheel Cleaner

djy

Hi all,

I have the Carrera Classic wheels, which are diamond cut (I believe) and then lacquered. Is it ok to use wheel cleaner on them? I use Auto Finesse Imperial and sometimes Iron Out on my other cars. I notice that there is some dust that is stubborn to move in between some of the spokes. Shampoo and a mitt isn't shifting it, so wondered if it was safe to use Iron Out on diamond cut wheels. Just a bit worried about leaving marks in the lacquer. 

Thanks, 

Dan

What year is your car Dan? I have a 2012 Boxster S with the same wheels as yours and I have the same problem. The black marks you can't shift with ordinary washing are almost certainly corrosion of the alloy coming through where brake dust and other pollutants have eaten through the lacquer at the places it's at its thinnest. The only way to shift it is to use a light abrasive pad on the affected area (which I agree isn't ideal), and try to re-seal it with polish. This is the big problem with diamond cut wheels, when they get damaged or start to corrode you are ultimately looking at a full refurbishment to put things right.

1 minute ago, spook said:

What year is your car Dan? I have a 2012 Boxster S with the same wheels as yours and I have the same problem. The black marks you can't shift with ordinary washing are almost certainly corrosion of the alloy coming through where brake dust and other pollutants have eaten through the lacquer at the places it's at its thinnest. The only way to shift it is to use a light abrasive pad on the affected area (which I agree isn't ideal), and try to re-seal it with polish. This is the big problem with diamond cut wheels, when they get damaged or start to corrode you are ultimately looking at a full refurbishment to put things right.

My car is a 2013. 

The marks are in between the spokes, in the painted bits, not the diamond cut bits. They're only minor and not that noticeable as it's in the grey sections, but still something I'd like to try and improve. 

Some cleaners are more acidic than others, I’m not sure on your particular cleaner, but if the lacquer is sound the there shouldn’t be any issues. Of course there could be unseen damage to the lacquer so what then? I think .the main thing is to make sure you rinse off really well so no cleaner is left on .the wheel indefinitely, do that and any risk should be low.

5 minutes ago, Greenman said:

Some cleaners are more acidic than others, I’m not sure on your particular cleaner, but if the lacquer is sound the there shouldn’t be any issues. Of course there could be unseen damage to the lacquer so what then? I think .the main thing is to make sure you rinse off really well so no cleaner is left on .the wheel indefinitely, do that and any risk should be low.

Thanks. Just checked actually, Auto Finesse say it's pH neutral. 

1 minute ago, djy said:

My car is a 2013. 

The marks are in between the spokes, in the painted bits, not the diamond cut bits. They're only minor and not that noticeable as it's in the grey sections, but still something I'd like to try and improve. 

Yes, in the corners by the inner rim, just like mine. The grey paint is sealed by lacquer like the rest of the wheel. Same advice applies, light abrasive sponge (a well used kitchen sponge scourer works for me) and then re-seal with polish. The problem with using wheel cleaners, particularly the more caustic ones, on older alloy wheels is that they will attack the underlying alloy in vulnerable areas where the lacquer is degraded.

I find it safer to use clay bar to remove such grime. then polish/seal etc once clean.

To that end I usually keep a blob after doing bodywork for such jobs as wheels or exhaust tips.

12 minutes ago, Patt said:

I find it safer to use clay bar to remove such grime. then polish/seal etc once clean.

To that end I usually keep a blob after doing bodywork for such jobs as wheels or exhaust tips.

Good idea. I didn't think of clay. I have some at home, will try at the weekend. Thanks. 

Don’t not use anything abrasive.  Use an iron remover like Bilt Hamber Korrosol. Then as Patt said a clay bar if the iron remover doesn’t.  work.

Once they are up to standard, get some wheel sealant on them. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived