Strange water ingress issue...not the usual...

karlp606

So yesterday and the past few weeks my rear passenger carpet has been dry, no water ingress so I thought cleaning the rear drain pipes had solved the issue!

Before I set off on my journey yesterday I thought Id check the carpet behind the seat as weve had some bad rain the past few days and wallah!! All dry so I set off on my journey to Liverpool, pretty dry drive no rain etc, so I parked up went to the match, upon coming back to my car it was very fogged up so I thought maybe the carpet was still drying as I had the blowers on high....double checked the carpet and it was soaked behind the passenger seat!!!! So I had to quickly grab some paper towels and stick them under the lower carpet section and floor carpet, strangly the mid carpet that covers the engine bay area was completely dry, couldn't get my head round it as it hadn't rained on my journey!!

So today I ripped the foam and carpet out from behind to dry out,  I checked the front if the passenger mat was wet and yes all underneath the passenger footwell was soaked, along with the foam membrane so I've taken this out today to dry, I cant get my head round why it would be soaked when it didn't rain!!! 

Whilst I had the carpets up I poured a kettle worth of water through the rear drain grommet and through the front to try and see if any water was coming in but nothing? The front battery passenger grommet has fallen through but water still seems to be draining under the car. I found this black rubber pipe that looks as though it goes to climate/ac black box under dash/foam in the footwell, pic below; It looks as though water is coming in the front and swimming to the back, strange thing is the ecu bay is completely dry, dusty even!

XPiEcAGl.jpg

I took it out the floor and reconnected it and it all seems tight?

DzUryH3l.jpg

aBLtIeJl.jpg

I just dont where this water is coming from, it doesn't seem to be coolant as it doesn't have an odour and I havent ran the ac whilst driving yesterday. Passenger door card is dry also.

pic of front grommet missing

DtX8tEQl.jpg

Ive searched high and low on the internet today and read all the posts on wet carpets etc but all of them point towards the drain holes, but if it hasn't been raining I just dont know why my carpet is soaked! :(

If the drain hole are blocked then the water can pool and slosh over. But, if you have checked they are clear and run clean then that's all good. It sounds like it is coming in from the front. Hve you checked the drain holes around the battery? Have you checked the pollen filter area? Have you checked the door card and carpet, is it wet? Also look at the door seal. The winsdcreen roof seal might be an unlikely culprit as you'd expect to see the water.

9 hours ago, edc said:

If the drain hole are blocked then the water can pool and slosh over. But, if you have checked they are clear and run clean then that's all good. It sounds like it is coming in from the front. Hve you checked the drain holes around the battery? Have you checked the pollen filter area? Have you checked the door card and carpet, is it wet? Also look at the door seal. The winsdcreen roof seal might be an unlikely culprit as you'd expect to see the water.

Hi EDC, drain holes are running as theres water coming out underneath, I havent looked around the pollen filter though, where should I be looking? 

I had a leak on my 986 and it appeared to be coming from around the pollen filter holder.

I loosened the plastic holder/lower part which did seem quite wet. It sits on a foam gasket that was soaked, the foam gasket appeared to be stuck to the car body so removal wasn't an option.

What i ended up doing was running a thin bead off black silicone sealant around the edge of the foam gasket and then clamping the plastic tray back down with the fixing screw's.

It did appear to sort mine out?

2 hours ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

I had a leak on my 986 and it appeared to be coming from around the pollen filter holder.

I loosened the plastic holder/lower part which did seem quite wet. It sits on a foam gasket that was soaked, the foam gasket appeared to be stuck to the car body so removal wasn't an option.

What i ended up doing was running a thin bead off black silicone sealant around the edge of the foam gasket and then clamping the plastic tray back down with the fixing screw's.

It did appear to sort mine out?

Ah right okay, so the cabin/pollen filter that just slides out as I dont think it has any sort of cover on it?

Then underneath there I need to take the plastic cabin filter out and run some silicone around that where it meets the foam housing?

The top of the filter doesn't have a plastic lid but maybe a piece of foam hanging over it? Can't remember but its like that on the 987.

If you remove your cardboard pollen filter you will see it is screwed down to the body with a foam gasket sandwiched between the two.

Have a look around that area?

Make sure ECU is protected, perhaps put it in a bag or something?

Dust talcum powder all around the passenger floorpan front & rear, then put hose on the car. Any leak will show up on the talcum powder like snail trails...

I've got a container of Brut 33 talc in the garage specifically for this purpose - took it from my old man years & years ago when I was chasing leaks around a MX5 cabin ?

still chasing down a leak in my passenger side front carpet. Seem to remember looking at my cabin filter and thinking it looked a bit strange, so am going to have another look as this may be the source of my leak, have not checked under my carpets , but hoping the sponge is dry!!!. cheers  alan

Also trying to sort out my VAGUE FEELING Gear change, and lack of centralising, any pointers apart from changing cables , which will be a last resort would be appreciated,    cheers  Alan

1 hour ago, alank said:

Also trying to sort out my VAGUE FEELING Gear change, and lack of centralising, any pointers apart from changing cables , which will be a last resort would be appreciated,    cheers  Alan

It feels like you've asked this question several times before and it feels like I've posted the same suggestion a few times over. Clean up the cable ends at the gearbox end with a wire brush and regrease. You can pop them off for a more thorough job or leave in situ. 

Archived