Wet passenger floor

Zenedge

Apologies, I know this has been covered a ton of times but every thread I find has the images removed and replaced with an annoying message from photobucket. 

Does anybody have a diagram handy of the drain holes on a 987?  I can find plenty of 986 diagrams but I don’t know if they’re the same.  I have found a bit of water under my ECU... checked the main drain under the clam shell and it’s fine but I suspect there’s another somewhere that I’m missing. There was less than 1cm of water after some pretty horrific weather and a pile of snow on the car for over a week so it’s probably not a major leak but still needs to be found. 

Thanks,

Gordon. 

No images im afraid but if you lift the clamshell cover and have a look in the frame where it sits there are some tidy ones pointing out away from the car.

Mine where blocked when I bought it but with the trombone cleaner and a bit of force i cleaned them out.

Don't forget the two or three in the front either side of the battery and i think there is one by or under the battery tray ?

That’s the ones I was looking for... didn’t notice them. Just been out and poured some water down that one and it’s clearing pretty quick so unlikely to be that, I’ll still clean it out in time anyway but all 4 rear drains are clear so must lie somewhere else. 

Door carpet is dry, as is the front carpet so it’s not the front drains or door membrane either... are there any other common leak areas that I’m missing?

I don't think there are, may be roll your seat belts out and check they are dry too.

The only other thing really is the condition of the foam liner in the clam shell and to check it is seated correctly by the seals. Also check those plastic splash guard things and check that they haven't moved. Other than that I don't know, im guessing mine had been leaking for a while. No damage but a damp farty smell occasionally ?

I had a similar problem with my previous car. Water was coming into the cabin from low down around the seat belt anchor. It only seemed to happen with real downpours though. After much fiddling around, ensuring the drains were clear and making sure that the drain tube from the top funnel was aligned down into the actual tube itself, I finally got is sorted when I found the issue with the splash guard referred to above. Do a search in the board and you’ll find a post with some pictures. Basically you need to ensure that it is clipped on properly and pushed as far forward as it will go (or downwards actually when the clamshell is open in service mode). Somehow this ensures that any rain entering diverts down into the funnel rather than down the back of the seats. It worked for me anyway so worth a double check. If in doubt compare it with the driver’s side. Good luck!

You might look at the edge of the liner under the clamshell.

D9QhNqm.jpgVFMRIHr.jpg

Top picture is under the clamshell (near side) and the close up picture is marked by the red circle. Check the edge is nicely tucked under the body rim or water will get in, as it did with mine!

Its a gen2 so not sure if there is any difference with the gen1 as not sure which one you've got.

Kevin.

• 1 year later...

@Gutley - Is this the splash guard you showed me at the Blackbushe meet this morning on design 911?

https://www.design911.co.uk/mobile/#part;id=133188

3 hours ago, EagleStar said:

@Gutley - Is this the splash guard you showed me at the Blackbushe meet this morning on design 911?

https://www.design911.co.uk/mobile/#part;id=133188

Having just bought a replacement for one I broke whilst fixing broken push rod ball joints I don't think that's a splash guard but just a way of stopping the roof fabric rubbing on or getting caught in the rods etc. Slightly cheaper from OPC if you're a PCGB member.

@red rocket I’m missing both sides. These attach to the sliding arms for the roof, right?

Gutley told me these prevent water ingress into the back and side of the cabin. Luckily my car lives in the garage undercover, but I think I need to order some nonetheless.

Just need to make sure I order the right parts!

27 minutes ago, EagleStar said:

@red rocket I’m missing both sides. These attach to the sliding arms for the roof, right?

Gutley told me these prevent water ingress into the back and side of the cabin. Luckily my car lives in the garage undercover, but I think I need to order some nonetheless.

Just need to make sure I order the right parts!

As Sazzy says yes they're the right ones. Not sure how much water they would stop but better to have them than not. 

Archived