987 air intake: latest developments

Newhart

NewArt wrote:
Thought that I might run this by you. I took the car out for a spin yesterday. It ran like cr*p for the first 10 minutes but then everything smoothed out. I guess that the DME was adapting during my drive. I didn't push the car at all, hardly getting above 4000 RPM. When I got back home I left the car idling and hooked up the Durametric to see what the fuel trims looked like. The results are a bit wonky but I haven't got my Anniversary Edition tune yet. In light of my recent air intake intervention, do you think that these results are to be expected or should I be looking for a leak? 
FRA 1: 1.28
RKAT 1: 2.53
FRA 2: 1.29
RKAT 2: 2.67
MAF: 1.18V
9 kg/h
Let me know what you think.

The Radium King replied:
"They look pretty much as you should expect pre-tune. your rkats are idle trims and in %; around 2.5% each side which is high as expected but within the 4% spec. they are positive which means the ecu is adding fuel as expected. 

your fra values are around 1.3; more than the 1.2 that i’d predicted but close enough for the cocktail napkin math that i’d done. again, they are positive which means adding fuel as expected and, very close to the 1.32 spec which triggers a cel.

so, i think you are good; science wins another one."

cheers.gif

Update: Got my 2004 Spyder tune from Prestige Porsche today. I'll put up data after a few drive cycles but for now, all I can say is that she's pulling like a champ! My "Air Intake Mod -epilogue" video will come out as soon as I get the final dyno done. Watch for it! flwhitey_e0.gif

You've fitted a larger diameter MAF tube, which means that the DME is underestimating the amount of air entering the engine and the engine is running lean.  I would avoid driving it until you have the correct tune put onto it.  I think that the 987 maf tube is the same diameter as the 996, so that's the tune I'd go for personally (which is also what The Radium King has done I believe).

Exactly right. That is why i went with the Spyder tune. The 2004 Anniversary Edition (Spyder 550) used the 987 MAF tube and airbox. Now that my Porsche dealer tech has installed that mapping, I should be getting the right AF mixture.

• 2 weeks later...

I've watched your videos which I think are very good. I was wondering what the engine cover mount looked like after you bent it back down. Also, in the last video the plenum/TB/90 tube look a bit proud of the engine compartment. Did you have any trouble getting the cover back on?

You can cut the D shape tab off and also Dremel out some of the alu on the cover where it may rub. 

On ‎21‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 9:19 AM, Patt said:

I had this rubbing on Molly:

35733332396_c5d79e3210_b.jpg

So I cut this of the lid:

35733336696_28ed169f05_b.jpg

The photo looks like the original 986 airbox is still in. Did you notice much difference with just the TB/plenum change? (And the pipercross filter of course)

Hell yes !  best performance mod, especially considering it's so cheap.  only 6bhp and 12lbft over the whole rev range, but really woke her up into a sports car.

987 airbox was tempting, but as a daily driver I couldn't risk something going wrong with the install, as others have found.

10 minutes ago, Patt said:

Hell yes !  best performance mod, especially considering it's so cheap.  only 6bhp and 12lbft over the whole rev range, but really woke her up into a sports car.

987 airbox was tempting, but as a daily driver I couldn't risk something going wrong with the install, as others have found.

Phew, that's good news. I bought the TB and plenum but was put off by the 987 airbox job (I bought a 2nd hand airbox as well but got cold feet when I saw the vidoes/read the posts!)

As you have the original MAF & housing diameter I take it you didn't need a remap? The pipercross is oiled AFAIK - any issues?

2 hours ago, 986S04 said:

Phew, that's good news. I bought the TB and plenum but was put off by the 987 airbox job (I bought a 2nd hand airbox as well but got cold feet when I saw the vidoes/read the posts!)

As you have the original MAF & housing diameter I take it you didn't need a remap? The pipercross is oiled AFAIK - any issues?

Have a look at my old member ride blue Boxster thread. Lots more photos in there and Dyno plots too. But no you don't have to remap if you don't want to. 

ECU is more than capable of adjusting.  If you correctly look after the filter, you wont get any issues.  Many over oil them  - and that's when they get issues with the maf getting contaminated.

I actually stumbled across said Pipercross last night.  Must give it a clean and re-oil before sticking it up for sale.

ECU is more than capable of adjusting.  If you correctly look after the filter, you wont get any issues.  Many over oil them  - and that's when they get issues with the maf getting contaminated.

I actually stumbled accros said Pipercross last night.  Must give it a clean and re-oil before sticking it up for sale.

Archived