Cat heat shields

Darkstar

They reflect the heat back away from the boot and I'm not sure what's under the heat shields that could be damaged. Cats can get pretty hot, personally I'd look at replacing them. The manufacturer put them their for a reason

First thing I did to Molly was take an angle grinder to said rattling shields.  I can't remember the last car I had where they remained very long.  Although usually I removed them and the cat at the same time.

1 minute ago, Patt said:

First thing I did to Molly was take an angle grinder to said rattling shields.  I can't remember the last car I had where they remained very long.  Although usually I removed them and the cat at the same time.

Yup, mine didn't last long either and no ill effects.

Same as above, was rattling. Took it to a garage, popped it off and said never look back. 

Some people have said that they are there for a reason etc. but tbh, ive never heard of anything going wrong with the heat shield off. 

Mine were rattling and missing a couple of clips, they use what looks like a Dzus clip arrangement and they were all rusting through. I priced up new clips with the local OPC and they would have cost almost £10 per clip, bolt and washer set; with six to replace I couldn’t justify the cost. I ended up using M6 16mm stainless set screws, penny washers and M6 spire clip chimney nuts. Total cost was about £8 for all six and it seems to work just as well.

Archived