Fitting paddles this weekend

headless

So tomorrow, I'm taking the battery off and then the wheel to finally fit the paddles I've bought to my tiptronic wheel, made a template of the holes at the back of the steering wheel from the Mercedes wheel that I bought with the paddles on, so should be fairly straightforward fitting them to the wheel, so after that it's just 2 wires either side, so just need to find the 2 up wires on the right side and the 2 down on the left and splice into them cos I'm going to leave the front buttons live.

The only worry I have is the airbag light coming on after I fit it all back together again as I have no device to reset the airbag warning light, I'm going to leave taking the wheel off for about an hour after undoing the battery just to be safe!!!

V5XWnEe.jpg

eKyvJH1.jpg

nGABMa7.jpg 

36 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

I'll be interested to see how you get on with this, I was toying with the idea of fitting paddles to my 986. Which merc wheel did you use and how much was it? 

Now your asking, hold on I'll find the ebay purchase....it's the Mercedes E350 Sport AMG wheel, I liked it cos the paddles were black rather than the silver, I got it for £55, so a bargain me thinks!!!

Annoying thing is it's a better looking wheel than the standard Porsche wheel, shame it won't fit!!!!

505W7Vd.jpg

You certainly got a bargain with that wheel?, had a look on the bay and saw some Range Rover paddles for £45, but not sure how well they'd fit on the Boxster wheel. Luckily I've already got a slightly smaller diameter wheel on mine and the old one available to have an experiment with.

Keep us updated on how you get on.

What a pain in the ar*e that was, nothing went right and took longer than I thought, about 6 hours in all, could'nt get the bloody airbag off, took over an hour then it just popped off easy as anything, then burrowing out the paddle housing bit was a pain, I could'nt find an easy way to do it, wiring went straighforward, found the common ground, the black wire and the up and down wires...simples.

Anyway, this thread is nothing without pictures, haha.....

Rc4wscj.jpg

z15f5kJ.jpg

Y9YtXLK.jpg

fYq31vs.jpg

1xIYDNp.jpg

VgscRA1.jpg

Nice work? Have you been for a drive yet?

With the air bag, I think there is a hole at the back of the steering wheel that you push a screwdriver into, that presses against a spring that releases the airbag.

yeah the hole is at 6o'clock on the steering wheel, you stick a little screwdriver up to push the wire away and it pops off.....after an hour, haha!!

Been for a drive and everything works as it should, the front buttons still work and the paddles work, so really pleased that after all that faff it worked out, and the airbag light did'nt come on!!!!

10 minutes ago, headless said:

yeah the hole is at 6o'clock on the steering wheel, you stick a little screwdriver up to push the wire away and it pops off.....after an hour, haha!!

Been for a drive and everything works as it should, the front buttons still work and the paddles work, so really pleased that after all that faff it worked out, and the airbag light did'nt come on!!!!

Result?, guess what I've been playing with for the last 10 mins

hgEfmHg.jpg

Looks quite doable on the spare wheel, just need to source some cheap paddles?

How did you secure the paddles? Are they self tapper screws that you've filed off so they don't intrude?

Used the 2 screws that came with the paddles off the Merc wheel, seen here in this piccy, drilled holes through the metal bit of the wheel, no problems really, and no I did'nt take a pic of the back cos you never see it anyway, there is a slight gap in the middle though cos the paddles are nearly flat just a slight curve but the Porsche wheel is more curved where the paddles went, but as I said they are secure with the 2 screws and you never see the back anyway!!!

You could get some rubbery foam type stuff and use that inbetween the paddles and the wheel just to hide the gap if you were that bothered about it, but I did'nt bother cos you really don't see it anyway!!!!

q7Lr7cD.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

@headless how are you getting on with the paddles? Are they perfectly placed or would you move slightly if doing it again?

I've just managed to get a pair of paddles for £80 off eBay and have removed the steering wheel, so will be fitting tonight hopefully.

they are spot on, loving them more and more, Porsche really mucked up not fitting paddles as standard cos it's so much better......good luck dude!!!

Let us know how you get on!!!

23 hours ago, headless said:

they are spot on, loving them more and more, Porsche really mucked up not fitting paddles as standard cos it's so much better......good luck dude!!!

Let us know how you get on!!!

All done?, very fiddly to get it right, but overall pretty straightforward. Thanks for the inspiration and confidence to give it a go? See you on the Strines soon.

Details are on my running report

nice one, yeah it is a fiddly annoying job to do, nothing seems to go right and takes ages longer than you thought, but well worth it.

We can compare paddles next time on The Strines!!!!

No, I like them that size, I had a smart roadster with the same size paddles for 13 years so am used to that size, you can get these on ebay if you want to make them bigger,  you are in the wrong gear if you have to change down mid corner anyway, haha...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Metal-Paddle-Shift-Gear-Extensions-Shifter-For-Mercedes-C-Class-W204-11-13/123041955088?epid=8017189904&hash=item1ca5df3d10:g:NMYAAOSwjI5auMrh

• 2 weeks later...

Archived