In the market for a 987 Gen2 - what to look for

pquadro

Hello

Looking at Gen 2 987 S, my budget 17-20k

My previous was a 986 S with M030 suspensions

Will a non PASM 987 feel softer? Would be great if you can share your experience if you driven both

The IMS/RMS issue is 100% resolved?

Anything else to look out for when inspecting the car?

Hi, i'm in the same market for a gen 2. £17k is a bit light from what i have seen.

You really need to budget £18.5-20k for a 2009 60k mile example with fsh, and decent spec.

Just put a deposit down on a 2010 S with PDK and full history - 65k for £21k - there were slightly cheaper ones out there but not with the same spec or condition as the one found.

i also found that the spec varies massively from car to car so takes a while to find the options you want (or don’t)

the PDK’s seem to hold their price better than the manuals when I was looking. From my research the Gen 2 has all the engine issues and IMS sorted out -if you go for a gen 1, then the 2.7 is reportedly the safest bet.

things to look out for..

• Make sure the aircon works (otherwise that can be expensive)
  • No "dribbling" from the front radiators that are prone to rotting.
  • Usual caveats of clonks, squeaks, rattles and tyre wear.
  • There should be no smoke from the exhaust when hot (oil / air separator being full or blocked is often the culprit but it's a scary sight). 
  • The engine should pull smoothly throughout the rev range - or its varioram / coil packs are on the blink
  • No ridges or excessive corrosion on the inside of the brake discs
  • check roof interior wear (check realistic - have seen a few that aren't)
  • also worth checking front and rear body and under sills for wear/chips 

I found my car at https://www.maundrells.co.uk/  in Oxfordshire. Can’t praise them enough, they know their stuff and cars are prepped to a high standard before they leave. Majority of stock is ex-main Dick Lovett trade in that’s too old for OPC stock (apparently).

they have a few manual Boxsters at the moment in stock - ask for Alex if you call

Hi, I recently bought a 2.9 manual below your budget and previously had a 986 S. Maybe dont discount the 2.9 as its great fun and feels just as quick. The coolant pipes are known to corrode and replacement requires dropping of the sub frame so over £500 to repair. Worth checking for any leaks. ( Dont ask me how I now know this !)

Good luck.

Si.

9 hours ago, simon45089 said:

Hi, I recently bought a 2.9 manual below your budget and previously had a 986 S. Maybe dont discount the 2.9 as its great fun and feels just as quick. The coolant pipes are known to corrode and replacement requires dropping of the sub frame so over £500 to repair. Worth checking for any leaks. ( Dont ask me how I now know this !)

Good luck.

Si.

8 hours ago, bandit_287 said:

3.4 has a bit more grunt but for the road the 2.9 has enough. It’s more about the drive than the power I think. 

looked for a 2.9 but seems rarer than 3.4s and not so cheaper

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 8:03 PM, pquadro said:

Hello

Looking at Gen 2 987 S, my budget 17-20k

My previous was a 986 S with M030 suspensions

Will a non PASM 987 feel softer? Would be great if you can share your experience if you driven both

The IMS/RMS issue is 100% resolved?

Anything else to look out for when inspecting the car?

Yes, the IMS is no longer part of the design of the engine on the Gen2s, in other words, they don't have an IMS bearing anymore.

Porsche actually (almost) resolved the IMS issues from the later 987 3.2S MY 2006 & 3.4S onward Boxsters as from this MY, they fitted a larger single-row IMS bearing which had the same loading factor as the earlier double-row IMS bearing pre-2001 before they started failing.

My understanding is that the larger single-row IMS bearing has the same failure rate as all other engine components.  However, should it go then the resultant situation remains the same.  Apparently, any 986/987 3.2S engines which had to be replaced under warranty by Porsche, were replaced using those exact engines so you'd hope that they did get the last of that series correct which incidentally, is the same for the Gen1 3.4S.

Fortunately, you don't hear about many 987s which have had an IMS failure.  :-)

On 9/13/2018 at 7:50 AM, Menoporsche said:

Noting that his original post was in March...

My bad, I did forget to check that... The post was on the first page of the subforum so I assumed it was recent.

Lesson learned to check the original "I want..." posting date

• 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, BoxsterSPete said:

There's a low mileage(17k miles) 987.2 S on ebay for 13k£ 

Cat D though! 

Apparently had a new wing and door repair! 

If you want a 'keeper' that is definitely worth an look?

Archived