MOT Refusal / Fail - Lights!

Pandy

UK - 2013 981S with standard Xenons just failed it's MOT!    "offside headlamp aim too low", plus advisory on the other side "headlamp aim close to minimum".

It's passed the last 2 MOT's without a mention and nothing has been touched in between - same MOT centre - and even the same tester as 2 years ago.

Anyone else had this (even as an advisory?).

I checked last night against a garage door - low beam as that's what they test - and both beams appear to be exactly the same height. (There's a very clear cut off line).  69cm from the ground on the near side and 66.5cm offside for both lights. (0.5 mtrs from front of car to door).   I'd be interested on anyone else with the same lights what heights yours are set at?

OPC tested 111 point check earlier in the week for warrant renewal (lights are included apparently),  so not sure what's going on...

Cheers  

Quite common to fail on stuff like that .( They fail then adjust lights for .5 hr charge  then pass) The testers fail quota must have been low or he was jealous. Just get the lights adjusted if needed and take back for a free retest on lights if under 30 days.  Or take it to another mot station ..

22 minutes ago, fat haggis said:

Quite common to fail on stuff like that .( They fail then adjust lights for .5 hr charge  then pass) The testers fail quota must have been low or he was jealous. Just get the lights adjusted if needed and take back for a free retest on lights if under 30 days.  Or take it to another mot station ..

That was what I thought, but garage - said they were too busy to adjust them (as it wasn't something simple).  As you say maybe his fail quota was low.  Anyway gonna readjust them as always felt they could be a bit higher (on dip) anyway - was just curious what height level to set them at - hence the question about others..

Best going to another mot station tell them fail on headlight beam .they will have a setting box. And do your mot again for you but that means you have to pay full mot cost again. 

Not on the Boxster but an Audi, the lights failed the MoT for the same reason. I spoke to the inspector who explained it was quite common due to our potholed roads. The constant jarring alters the setting.

If the mot tester is your go to mechanic for repairs they may fail it but will instantly pass it again and adjust lights for you. The same with Porsche independent garages who do your car for servicing and mot. 

1 hour ago, pipsqueak said:

Brilliant - thanks.  Seems these are really easy to adjust up/down, after finding a long enough allen key.   Have adjusted both lights up a bit and gonna take it back in for a retest tomorrow and hopefully they’ll have time enough for me to adjust the lights to just under the upper limit. Maybe being set a bit higher will improve visibility too, as I’ve been really disappointed with the lights ever since I got the got it 5 years ago. (987 before this had PDLS).

11 minutes ago, Pandy said:

Maybe being set a bit higher will improve visibility too, as I’ve been really disappointed with the lights ever since I got the got it 5 years ago. (987 before this had PDLS).

25w lo-power xenons fitted. I upgraded mine as i felt they were poor too.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎30‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 3:55 PM, Pandy said:

Brilliant - thanks.  Seems these are really easy to adjust up/down, after finding a long enough allen key.   Have adjusted both lights up a bit and gonna take it back in for a retest tomorrow and hopefully they’ll have time enough for me to adjust the lights to just under the upper limit. Maybe being set a bit higher will improve visibility too, as I’ve been really disappointed with the lights ever since I got the got it 5 years ago. (987 before this had PDLS).

How did you get on ?

Guvs.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/12/2018 at 7:21 AM, Guvs said:

How did you get on ?

Guvs.

Guvs - sorry for delayed answer only just seen your response.  It passed OK - crazy thing is the same tester decided the failed light was spot on after I'd adjusted it, but the other light was now too high - so he adjusted it down a bit without asking how to do it first - Maybe he'd Googled how to adjust the lights overnight :-).   Driving with the lights adjusted that bit higher has made a significant difference to visibility for night driving - wish I'd known about it before - OPC never mentioned it or checked the adjustment, even when I complained loudly about the poor illumination when I first got the car nearly 5 years ago.

Archived