Check light

Tritonkev

Hi Tritonkev,

After I had the clutch replaced on my car, the check light came on. It was caused by a Lambda sensor fault. I replaced both sensors before the cat, and that seems to have cured it.

Peter

49 minutes ago, Tritonkev said:

How do you determine which sensor to change ie before or after

And why should having a clutch done affect the sensors

You read the codes and it will direct you. There is no sensor on the clutch. It's a coincidence. Or to do the clutch the exhaust is often removed. With enough banging the lambda sensors can be broken. 

Hi Tritonkev,

As edc mentioned, the exhaust was removed to replace the clutch and at least one of the lambda sensors on the exhaust have probably become faulty. A code reader will guide you to which Lambda sensor has failed.

When the clutch on my boxster was replaced together with the ims bearing, the Porsche Independent garage rang me to say they would have to cut off all the exhaust brackets due to corrosion, and wanted me to authorise this before they continued. I assume that this probably caused a Lambda sensor failure when they removed/refitted the exhaust.

When all was put back together one of my Lambda sensors was showing a fault. Apparently this is not unusual. I am no mechanic but this was the comment from the owner of the Porsche Independent garage.

ps. I didn’t realise how expensive “Porsche” exhaust brackets cost:o, but at least they should be good for a few years now. :)

Peter

It's routine for the exhaust system past the cats to be removed during a clutch change - the invoice for mine mentions diagnostics being run to check the Lambda sensors. Sounds like yours may have been damaged during the work.

How much roughly does it cost to get 02 sensors replaced? One of mine needs doing, (or both?) my code reader only let's me know it's bank 2 which is the left side I believe.

Hi Sazzy,

I fitted two myself and the two Lambda sensors costs me about £100 total.

The Porsche independent was quoting me over double that for one sensor, and his recommendation was to replace all four.

As I had just had the clutch replaced, dual mass flywheel, ims bearing, rms seal, exhaust brackets and a service the Porsche fund was looking sorry for itself.

Peter

55 minutes ago, Sazzy said:

How much roughly does it cost to get 02 sensors replaced? One of mine needs doing, (or both?) my code reader only let's me know it's bank 2 which is the left side I believe.

All depends how easy they come out!! What could be a simple unscrew then screw in job can turn into a long one. I had to take the exhaust off to do mine, the threads were shot and cracked so then there was welding. I'd budget for 2-3 hours and if it's less then great. I also did both as it'll be one of those situations when you replace one then a month down the line the other one fails!

If yours is a 986.1 you should only have two sensors. I believe 986.2 has four. 

It may be a simple case of simply refitting the old ones with some exhaust cement. Apparently, it's common for the exhaust to leak around there which can throw the lambda enough to turn the EML on. 

I'd try that first before shelling out for new sensors. 

1 hour ago, K.I.T.T. said:

If yours is a 986.1 you should only have two sensors. I believe 986.2 has four. 

It may be a simple case of simply refitting the old ones with some exhaust cement. Apparently, it's common for the exhaust to leak around there which can throw the lambda enough to turn the EML on. 

I'd try that first before shelling out for new sensors. 

I have a 986.1 and that has pre and post cat sensors :)

12 minutes ago, golfprorich said:

I have a 986.1 and that has pre and post cat sensors :)

Ah... Happy to stand corrected. I swear I have heard some cars only had two. Perhaps it's only 2.5s? Or maybe I just made it up :huh:

Edit: looks like I was wrong, unless there are differences between US and EU emissions equipment 

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/19-FUEL-02_Sensor/19-FUEL-02_Sensor.htm

Still, a common area to leak, so check that first. 

Archived