Boxster Hood

Adamsky

Hello all

New to this forum after buying my first Porsche - coming from Audi (I thought Audi was impressive until I made the change). I bought a 2012 Boxster S with 15k on the clock. However, after recently cleaning it, I saw a couple of 'rub marks' on left and right side of the rear pillar on the hood.

Took it to Porsche and they said that when folded back, the roof was rubbing together and it needed to be 'reproofed and made softer'. They also said that this was common??? Hard to believe but correct me if I am wrong?

Has anyone come across this before? I have the Autoglym cabrio clean kit and am planning to use it shortly to try and get the roof softer...

cheers

12 minutes ago, Adamsky said:

Hello all

New to this forum after buying my first Porsche - coming from Audi (I thought Audi was impressive until I made the change). I bought a 2012 Boxster S with 15k on the clock. However, after recently cleaning it, I saw a couple of 'rub marks' on left and right side of the rear pillar on the hood.

Took it to Porsche and they said that when folded back, the roof was rubbing together and it needed to be 'reproofed and made softer'. They also said that this was common??? Hard to believe but correct me if I am wrong?

Has anyone come across this before? I have the Autoglym cabrio clean kit and am planning to use it shortly to try and get the roof softer...

cheers

Hi and welcome...

Post a picture of the roof issue for us to look at.

Host in Flickr or Imgur and then insert a link to the image, don't upload it directly.

Also get yourself a thread started in the Newbie Sub Forum to introduce yourself :)  

HI and thanks for the reply.

I will upload this later for everyone to see :) 

Will jump over to the newbie forum as well.

Cheers!

If the hood is put down when wet - it will promote more marking.  I'm not sure I agree with what you have been told, but if I were you Id' at least ask Car Hood Warehouse (forum sponsor) and only based in Chessington.

Oh and that should say "fighting Porsche"

Perfect - will do. Yeah, I was slightly concerned with what they said. All the boxsters I looked at in the pictures didn't have any marks on the hood...

keep in mind they don't show up as much on black roofs.

My previous Box had a CHW fitted blue hood and yet still had less marking the Stuart's with way more use and abuse over a similar time period. That roof never had any extra protection added - following the advice of CHW !

Oh right... that's strange then. I will post some pictures for you to see as well. My hood is black and every time I see it it's doing my head in.

ok so this is a picture of the mark on the hood

porka roof

Umm.

I would let this worry you to much as it is very common and apart from replacing the hood there isn't a lot you can do.

You could give it a good clean and see if it makes it less noticeable but I've had similar marks on all three of my Boxster hood's. I looked in to the dyeing thing but found it didn't get rid of wear marks.

The only thing I found which mildly improved it was re waterproofing the hood as the Autoglm stuff seems to darken it down a bit.

Annoying as it is i would try to ignore it and just polish the body with in an inch of its life?

20180407_170857

Hi lonewolf

thank you very much for the reply - that’s a huge relief off my mind. 

Love the boxster mate - what do you use on it? I use Sonax at present for wax and polish. (Bit off topic for this thread as I have seen a topic for wax’s) 

thanks again mate

Glad you like it ?

Ive only had this one 3 weeks but last week i gave it a 2 stage da polish using Rupes polishes. I sealed it up with Zymol Glasur and use Meguries ultimate detailer for the drying process. Its been years since I've had a black car so im still testing out different products. Ive heard good things about Sonax products, just haven't tried them yet ?

20180407_170857

20180408_075324

Never used Rupes polish. Might check it out. I have Meguirs detailer as well. Cracking stuff. 

I am going over mine on Saturday ready for the nice weather.....  will be sealing it up then :)

14 hours ago, Adamsky said:

ok so this is a picture of the mark on the hood

porka roof

Yeh these marks are fairly typical, it’s only really of worry if you get fraying on the seem. The extent of the marks depends somewhat on how much mileage you do with the roof down, leave the roof up and ou don’t get these, but who wants to do that?  As said you may be able to reduce the appearance a bit with a good roof clean and adding a silicone roof protector product may reduce any friction induced marking.

Not 3M, we don't make compounds for anyone else.  We once made the BMW branded products but that was a fair few years ago now.

I know they don't have the facilities to make the compounds, but I 'd be guessing who actually is.  Looking at their bottles I could make an educated guess that is Menzerna

If you are happy with it, that's all that really matters.  I would prefer smaller bottles but then our market is trade repair shops and the manufacturers themselves.

7 hours ago, Greenman said:

Yeh these marks are fairly typical, it’s only really of worry if you get fraying on the seem. The extent of the marks depends somewhat on how much mileage you do with the roof down, leave the roof up and ou don’t get these, but who wants to do that?  As said you may be able to reduce the appearance a bit with a good roof clean and adding a silicone roof protector product may reduce any friction induced marking.

Thanks Greenman. Again, great to hear it’s not rare! Will keep an eye on the seems. 

Do you have any preference to a silicone protector? 

Cheers! 

Archived