Question about chain tensioners

alank

Good evening

Just passed MOT an hour ago, only a droplink to replace as an advisory, yippee!!

I have a question for any engine experts out their. In the morning, after the car has been sitting over night, sometimes when I start it I get a sound like chain being dragged over a box, only for a split second. Sometimes it doesn't. Am I correct in thinking that the chain tensioners are pumping up in that instant and the noise is chain over tensioners. I may have asked this a couple of years ago but apologies if I have repeated myself. Is this something that I don't need to worry about. ? Many thanks alan

If it's literally for a second then that's normal. If it doesn't make the sound after that initial turn of the key, and more importantly when the engine is being rev'd then I'd say you've got nothing to worry about.

An you record the sound, save it and post it, and we can be more specific in our feedback.

initial thoughts are lifters waiting for oil to splash them quiet, or chain doing the same. 

Mobil 3000, been in about a year and about 3000 miles, but have got new oil to do a change when it stops raining, so wont be till after summer!!

Archived