9e development 718 Cayman

Stuart21UK

posted from another forum where there is a write up of a 718 Cayman that is receiving some fettling...so far...quote:

So we really wanted to test the car bone stock other than the tuning. 

- no change to stock geo
- no damper change
- no brake change 
- we fitted cup2 tyres and the front were 10mm larger because of no availability in stock sizes. 

What a weapon!!

Cheers, Baggers.

I saw this on PH. I was aspiring to 996 TT a few years ago until the prices took off (good ones have practically doubled since 2013), but having experienced first hand the issues NA 9x6s have now they're getting on a bit, add a couple of turbochargers, intercoolers and a whole load of extra hoses and pipes, they lose their appeal to me.

As much as I prefer a six pot, I could be quite tempted to avoid the 911 tax and go for something like this instead - that is basically 996 TT power with just a remap and an exhaust, but lighter. Add some KW V3s and better brakes and you'd have quite a weapon. It wouldn't surpise me if that would knock on the door of the 200 MPH club.

Thanks for posting - Great vid - one of the best I've seen around Spa in terms of capturing the way the circuit flows.

If you didn't get that far then fast forward to 7:30 and watch the rear view - keep your eyes peeled for a fast moving white thing.  Demonstrates just how rapid a full blown Cup Car is compared to a very quick road car.

Cayman looks properly quick too - it just takes off along Kemmel - 9e are very good at this stuff so there'll be lots more performance improvements.

8 hours ago, K.I.T.T. said:

I saw this on PH. I was aspiring to 996 TT a few years ago until the prices took off (good ones have practically doubled since 2013), but having experienced first hand the issues NA 9x6s have now they're getting on a bit, add a couple of turbochargers, intercoolers and a whole load of extra hoses and pipes, they lose their appeal to me.

As much as I prefer a six pot, I could be quite tempted to avoid the 911 tax and go for something like this instead - that is basically 996 TT power with just a remap and an exhaust, but lighter. Add some KW V3s and better brakes and you'd have quite a weapon. It wouldn't surpise me if that would knock on the door of the 200 MPH club.

don't forget the Turbo 996 models have a different engine - it's the Mezger lump.  As found in the GT3/RS models.  And a fair few race cars. 

Yes, that may be so and they're as reliable as Porsche engines get. But at the end of the day, it's still an old 9x6  I'm thinking suspension arms (and other components - shock absorbers are £££ on wide body 996s), air conditioning, clutch. Add to that turbo actuators and pipework and think with your head instead of your heart and... 

Archived