Convertible roof won't raise

Michael419

I have a hard-top for my 2004 Boxster S (UK right-hand-drive). When I removed it recently, the soft-top/roof would not raise.

When I press the button on the dash to raise it, nothing happens. I have the ignition on and handbrake on - handbrake light is illuminated on the dash so it can't be the handbrake switch(?). At the time I had correctly re-plugged in the soft-top heated electrical connector situated behind the passenger seat.

- I had the roof switch out from the top of the windscreen and tested it using a multimeter. This appears to have three pickups but I can only get a current through two of them, which stops and starts when pressing/depressing the switch. Perhaps the third is not used. There is some minor rust on the solder of the switch but I would say this appears to be working?

- I popped the roof raise/lowering switch out of the dash and tested this - this appears to be working and I could see the resistance stopping and starting when pressing the switch

- I have bought a replacement relay for under the dash as I have read somewhere that you should be able to "hear" the relay clicking when pressing the button on the dash - I couldn't hear any sound from relay and after fitting the replacement, still no clicking noise. Admittedly I have got the hard-top back on (the car's by daily driver), and therefore the heated screen connector behind the passenger seat is still setup for the hard-top heated rear screen. Does this connector "tell" the car that a hard-top is fitted and therefore disables the soft-top from being raised all together? I have tested by releasing the hard-top from the windscreen, no difference, but then again this is still with the heated screen connector still connected.

Thanks in advance for any help - greatly appreciated. I've had the car for nearly 3 years and had no problems with soft-top operation after removing the hard-top this time last year and the year before.

Michael

Pull the handbrake right up. Release. Pull right up and try again. Worked on mine when it would not lower.

Had exactly the same problem when I removed my hard top. I did mange to move my hood by lubing the hood microswitch and pressing the microswitch in and out whilst holding the hood up/down button but it was very intermittent. I replaced the hood microswitch with a new Porsche one about £50 and it solved it. Common Boxster problem, my indie has changed lots.

4 minutes ago, fat haggis said:

can you v try and open close with the remote only . or has that stopped working also 

Its a 986. No such luck :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 4/30/2018 at 9:04 PM, Dwdg said:

Pull the handbrake right up. Release. Pull right up and try again. Worked on mine when it would not lower.

Had that problem today. Came on here looking for a solution. Saw this and....it worked, thanks🙂.

• 1 month later...
On 4/21/2020 at 3:54 PM, Tinykin said:

Had that problem today. Came on here looking for a solution. Saw this and....it worked, thanks🙂.

Glad it helped!

• 3 weeks later...

My roof wouldn’t open, tried all the above suggestions with faulty micro switches, handbrake switch, relay etc, which all seemed to work fine, I could hear a gentle thud from the roof mechanism when I was pressing the roof switch.

i persisted by pressing the switch, eventually the motor engaged and only one side of the cover.

I managed to unhinge all the connecting rods from the gear mechanism and disconnected the motor... which is when I found a sheared cable from the motor. 

Easy fix, just under £30 from OPC for a new cable. Put it all back together. Works a treat now!

Archived