agreeing discount as a keyboard warrior

toocan

This car is a million miles away from me but id be keen to negotiate some discount, normally id show up and then they know your serious and its easier however speaking on the phone and email I have little movement, maybe its my style or maybe its just a general attitude dropping me into the category of kb warrior/tyre kicker

Just looking at this https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/porsche/boxster-981-12-16/porsche-boxster-gts/8505541 thinking if I could chip em 5-8% id probably do it and have it dropped off/collected

Any tips/suggestions

7 minutes ago, That986 said:

Why don't you get someone from here to act as a proxy?

Be amazing if someone would but would be a big ask of someone's time. How would that even work they bid em down then agree a price then say "nah no longer interested situation has changed but my cousin/brother/internet friend is" sort of thing

5 minutes ago, toocan said:

Be amazing if someone would but would be a big ask of someone's time. How would that even work they bid em down then agree a price then say "nah no longer interested situation has changed but my cousin/brother/internet friend is" sort of thing

They explain they're acting on "their clients behalf" and they've been instructed to look at the car and negotiate..... 

(a drink the proxy's way always helps as well) 

Think Wayne Carini (Chasing Classic Cars), he does it all the time on behalf of clients. 

phone them up tell them you hate messing about . make offer . and be willing to pay their and then, do deal and get the car delivered to your nearest oem  Porsche palace ..thats what i would do . i have done deal like that and traveled to collect .....

28 minutes ago, fat haggis said:

phone them up tell them you hate messing about . make offer . and be willing to pay their and then, do deal and get the car delivered to your nearest oem  Porsche palace ..thats what i would do . i have done deal like that and traveled to collect .....

I suspect that might be your best bet. Guildford OPC is where I've bought my cars from (though I'm afraid I wouldn't particularly like to negotiate on someone else's behalf). But the last one, I bought through them at a significant discount as long as I completed the deal in a few days, and that car wasn't in their showroom - it was sitting in a different OPC (not even under the same ownership). I bought it unseen, and Guildford had it shipped to them for handover. The one thing that helped me that doesn't work in your favour at the moment is that I think getting their sales targets by the calendar month-end is often a significant issue, but you probably don't want to sit around nervously until the end of May on this one. 

PS That is a great-looking car - though I am completely biased as it looks so similar to my S. I'm not sure which silver that is (I'm not very good telling them apart in photos), but I suspect the interior is garnet red.

I think you could get that for £45k,   It’s not got a couple of the sought after GTS options (GTS interior, sport design wheel etc) so it might not be a quick moving as some GTS. However it’s now the start of the month and they might not move much until towards the end of the month, now long have they had it for?

36 minutes ago, toocan said:

What sort of numbers do you think is feasable.

I probably can't help with the absolute number - others on here are probably more aware of how GTS prices are going these days - you've seen the other one that was mentioned in another thread on here today though.

My position was slightly different as I was buying a new car, specced but not registered, and I've no idea how OPC's margins compare on new v used stock. And it was a couple of years ago now. But in case it helps, I got an 8.5% discount off the optioned-up price for an immediate sale, without even fighting particularly for it. Mind you, my salesman wasn't very good (he was gone from there a few months later) so he was probably desperate for sales, and it was coming up to a month-end as well which is when his target bit. In fact, it's a pity he's not still there, as if he was (and probably still struggling) I could have put you in touch with him.

9 hours ago, Stuart21UK said:

and big gaping holes where the condensers are...

Make your own grills, there is a thread on here. I followed it and it's easy and looks better than Zunsport.

11 hours ago, Jon61 said:

15hp :)

As it's a manual, take it to AET motorsports and get it on their dyno. I did and now it's 146 bhp, what a difference!!!

Now there's all your negatives covered??

27 minutes ago, mneil said:

As it's a manual, take it to AET motorsports and get it on their dyno. I did and now it's 146 bhp, what a difference!!!

??

They took away all your power! ?

Anyway you and your 346 bhp - stop rubbing it in ?

Never had any joy with email - you just get lost in a sea of enquires that get every day. As said above, can't you go to your local OPC and do a deal on that car, they should ship it to you then and save a load of hassle.

They may also have visibility of other cars in the network not yet advertised that might suit as well 

That's where i would start - if the local refuses any sort of deal, then call Guildford direct - there's a bigger safety net when buying from an OPC as their cars have to meet specific standards and at worst you can always reject for not being as described if there is any significant damage not declared.

I can't help but think you would be paying a premium over the S quite literally for the badge on this one. If you want a GTS I would recommend you find one which is a little more GTS.

13 hours ago, toocan said:

Mmm 15k+ for a small bhp bump doesn't add up. 

Totally agree; 15k+ for 15bhp, whereas £600 for an extra 31 bhp on an S is a no brainer! Good luck with you decision?

21 hours ago, rowbos said:

They took away all your power! ?

Anyway you and your 346 bhp - stop rubbing it in ?

Thanks for the correction Steve, 346and not 146 ?, more evidence of early onset Alzheimer's?

This has just popped up on OPC https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/porsche/cayman/porsche-cayman-24v-s/8649799

Im assuming as its just gone up and a bank hol weekend approaching the chances of them discount are zero. Gonna call them either way I feel, I like the idea of acting on behalf of a buyer but think im just gonna just be straight i feel and ask for a few k off - thoughts?

When I bought mine i was in between two cars, actually showing them the other car and what they were offering was enough for them to move on price without much hassle.  Put as much emphasis on prep as you do price, you don't want lips on brake discs, big services looming and stone chips.  The bumpers and skirts take a real beating on these cars especially with Pirellis and big wheels.

ps - even without seeing pictures that looks awesome for the price.  Great spec - get it bought.

Archived