Passenger window not working

Itchigo27

Quick question, I'm thinking it's the regulator but can't find an exact matching post.

The passenger side window isn't working, doesn't work on the switch, doesn't drop when the doors opened, doesn't drop when roof goes back. I can hear a faint clicking when I press the window button. Any ideas?

Thanks.

When the window regulator fails the twisted wire snaps and spins around inside the door. Can sound like gravel being swilled around a metal bucket!

Could be a door lock micro switch sticking.

First you have to be sure it is that. I think it shows in the codes if you can get them read. 

If it is the door lock you could try WD40 sprayed on the visible part of the lock then open and close the lock against a screwdriver instead of the door striker. The jarring can free the microswitch. You could remove the lock and clean it thoroughly or replace it. VW Golf mk5 lock works.

Was there any sort of noise when it went? My regulator gave out with a little bang and after that there was only slight noise from inside the door as the frayed cable had jammed the rest of the mechanism up. Not hard to replace if you are careful.

2 minutes ago, Boxob said:

I ought to add to search this forum as this issue does crop up from time to time.

I have, nothing for the exact problem I was having. Thought it was worth throwing out to you other experts

You could take the door card off, peel back the waterproofing membrane carefully from the top edge and have a look at the regulator. Should be obvious if it's failed.

On 5/15/2018 at 7:15 PM, Boxob said:

When the window regulator fails the twisted wire snaps and spins around inside the door. Can sound like gravel being swilled around a metal bucket!

Could be a door lock micro switch sticking.

I read this thread yesterday and now I am going to burn you as a witch?‍♂️

Was lifting the drivers window this morning and suddenly thought "there's a stone or something in the guides"

Then it stopped. It went down a bit but that stopped too.

And then it stopped altogether, albeit with the accompanying sound of gravel in a bucket (perfect description, btw). So parked up and lifted the window manually.

I imagine it's a simple enough fix. Once you have the door dismantled...

10 minutes ago, DullWitch said:

I read this thread yesterday and now I am going to burn you as a witch?‍♂️

Was lifting the drivers window this morning and suddenly thought "there's a stone or something in the guides"

Then it stopped. It went down a bit but that stopped too.

And then it stopped altogether, albeit with the accompanying sound of gravel in a bucket (perfect description, btw). So parked up and lifted the window manually.

I imagine it's a simple enough fix. Once you have the door dismantled...

Oh dear! At least you knew what it was. Buy a genuine Porsche regulator. The copies fail prematurely. 

It's really not a big job, just requiring basic tools. Some bits feel (but aren't) daunting, like removing the airbag and moisture seal, but this and other forums are packed with advice and if you can locate a copy of the Bentley workshop manual (hint - PM me if you want to) it's one of the easier 986 jobs.

3 hours ago, AMacdonald said:

You can but do you really want to be fiddling with your face 6 inches from an ominous-looking explosive charge? ?

With the battery disconnected yes, did it 3 times in fact :P

You can buy a genuine one from Eurocarparts, they’ve got a 50% discount on at the moment, I bought mine from here and fitted it myself, its way enough but the first time you do it it a bit of a mare, but persevere you’ll be glad you did, 60min job when you know what your doing.

39 minutes ago, the baron said:

You can buy a genuine one from Eurocarparts, they’ve got a 50% discount on at the moment

Do you know the code ? Best I can see is 33%. Porsche regulator from car parts for less with 15% off is around 125 quid. 

12 hours ago, PaulQ said:

Do you know the code ? Best I can see is 33%. Porsche regulator from car parts for less with 15% off is around 125 quid. 

Flash50 but it might be out of date now as i received this a few days ago

Archived