20k service intervals

alank

Hi, thinking of moving from my 986 to a 981. Am a bit surprised at the oil change interval of 20k, as my 986 runs so much nicer even after a 5k oil change. What are the views on this, do people do intermittent changes at 10k? Or is acceptable at 20k , cheers Alan 

It's 2 years or a max mileage up to a number near 20k (don' recall exactly) the car will ask for oil depending on how it's been driven. I do about 3k pa in mine so I'm happy to service at 2 years as the mileage is quite low and I heat it up properly before revving high or loading the engine.

Yeh a low percentage of people do 10k or more a year so in most cases it will be more frequent than 20k.  Having said that I do intermittent changes after 12 months, you can pretty much guarantee those on PCP deals won’t do anything extra though.

Call me old fashioned but a 20k mile oil change interval is far too long.

The main justifications for these extended drain intervals that I've heard is

a) Oils getting better in the last few decades, synthetic oils, better/more detergents added

b) Vehicle usage patterns dictate higher mileage these days, and hence there is a customer requirement for longer intervals

c) Engine management systems track usage details such as number of cold starts, driving conditions etc. and can therefore allow longer intervals if the oil condition is judged to be still serviceable.

But all that aside, I change mine every 7k. And that's up from the nineties when I did it every 5k. It still comes out black and horrible.

A friend's Audi Q5 died earlier this year at 130k miles due to sludge in the oil pan blocking the strainer, mangling the oil pump and wearing down the main bearings.

It had a full dealer service history, with regular 20k oil changes performed at the Audi dealer.

I would therefore propose that the 20k oil change is enough to make the engine last until the dealer doesn't see it or warranty it any more, ie 60k plus miles.

But since owners would prefer their cars to last north of 100k without any engine issues, it's best to keep oil changes yearly or 10k whichever occurs sooner.

Vag cars are very fussy with the 20k change, if you start driving more in the city rather than longer motorway trips the car will ask for a service much sooner. My golf R is like that, seems strange that Porsches aren't the same.

I also run an Audi Q5 which has this variable service-on-demand feature.

However I think I messed it up when using a Vagcom cable to reset the service light indicators, and somehow set it back to time-based servicing.

As you say the 981 doesn't have this and just nags you every two years or every 20k.

The nagging can't be switched off or reset manually either on Porsche, whereas Audi will at least let you turn off the oil-service indicator via the on-screen menu.

My 981 tells me it doesn't want a service until 2020 !

The salesman told me it's 4 yrs in June.

the log book states March !

Thus it's booked in for a major service + plugs + belt+ air filters + 111 check with Revolution early next month.

I don't get near to 8K a year at the moment, but I've always changed the oil, filter and wiper blades each year.  I also tend to do cabin filters and other bits more frequently too.

I'm with the Chicken here - that extended service intervals are a marketing/sales pitch, more than technology moving that far forward. 

I drive my car hard, when I can, but I service it harder !

3 hours ago, Greenman said:

Also one of the Bizarre things seems to be the North American service intervals are still specified as 10k/1year in the 981.

We had a discussion about this a few years ago. Can't remember whether it's from NA law or that NA cars are more likely to be driven down dusty tracks. There was a sensible explanation.

Apparently, amongst the conspiracy theorists, NA oil is not such good quality.

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-oil-change-intervals-in-cars-in-the-U-S-far-shorter-than-for-the-same-models-in-Europe

Trying not to open the Brexit discussion again ;) the UK is not Europe. I think you could probably get the US conditions in Spain - +40 in Madrid summer down to -20 in the winter Pyrenees. 

You might be right but I think the oil quality above is more likely.

We haven't left yet Mr orange  - just indicated a poorly informed judgement of our intentions.

I hope to still be able to use my free EU roaming data when I cross the channel in a couple of weeks !

For me it depends on circumstances; a new car with three year warranty, stick to the schedule especially if you are planning to move onto something new at the three year point. An older car that wont be sticking around for too long and with a Porsche warranty and not enough miles to warrant a fair wear and tear get out clause, stick to the schedule and keep the warranty alive until you sell. Something you intend to keep regardless of warranty and age I would change the oil and filter every 12 months regardless of miles since last service. My 986 had a full service 400 miles and 18 months back when I bought it and I changed then oil and filter before I started driving it.

I understand the arguments about newer materials and oils but why take the risk? The oil and filter for my 986 cost less than £70 plus no more than two hours of my time to do the change (plus an hours round trip to the tip to dispose of the old oil), no doubt an Indie would charge £250 or so but its money well spent.

Keith

I hadn't realised the 981 didn't monitor how you used the car and just defaults to 20k/2 years. That seems to be asking for trouble as I'm sure many owners doing short trips and low miles will not realise that these are 'adverse conditions' and requires a yearly change. The 20k doesn't worry me so much as if you're doing high mileages, the car will be warmed up and causing very little wear and oil contamination for most of those miles.

Archived