Airbag deactivation oxfordshire

Lennym1984

3 hours ago, The return of Marty Wild said:

Yeah, it’s simple with the correct software, just tick it untick a box. I’m now worried about that side, know more than one person that can do it for me.

Just need the hardware and not the bar If possible. I see some chaps make their own:

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/65406-986-passenger-airbag-deactivation.html

Hi

My dad (a retired electronics engineer) made mine. It was very simple to do. 

I'm sure that if you paid for the parts and some beer he'd make you one. From memory the parts are not too expensive. 

If you want, I can ask him on the weekend. The understanding however would be that you use it at your own risk, otherwise you should buy the official one which comes with a porsche guarantee. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The return of Marty Wild said:

What’s his poison out of interest? We’re living in the golden age of beers IMO.

He has acquired quite a taste for the craft beers I buy (things always taste better when they are free) but to be honest, he's not fussy. Provided it has alcohol in, he's happy!

I have WhatsApped him about it so will let you know in a few hours/days when he responds. I vaguely remember the connectors being a bit weird last time (they were larger than he thought they would be) so I may need to unplug mine and give it to him so that he can replicate it. I'm going over there on the weekend so weather permitting, I'll bring the Boxster and he can take a look.

A man after my own taste, the craft beer scene is incredible at the moment. Not drunk larger in years!

That’s really good of you, many thanks!

Recently become a dad and my Cayman just isn’t getting used anymore. Only reason her indoors is weathering the 986 TD project (as a replacement) is because I told her it’s much easier to get the airbag deactivation on the Boxster haha.

Really appreciate your help thus far.

Ha ha I actually bought my boxster after becoming a dad but I do have a sensible car as well... Although my daughter much prefers the Boxster. She currently angling to come on the next trackday with me despite only being 2.5 (funnily enough my wife has ruled that one out... ) 

I cycle to work and the only car journeys I undertake my missus was always with me, so it kinda stood to reason he might expect to tag along too.

So I went from being wary of putting miles on to setting myself reminders to get out and turn her over on cherry picked days with no salt etc. 

Sad state of affairs, love the car to bits. Just can’t justify having that much money tied up sitting outside the house doing sod all. 

When I found out we were to be parents I whacked her on the market and looked at E9x M3s and B8 S4 but they just didn’t hit the spot. And I couldn’t let my Pork go so I’ve had another year out of her and then some, I now feel ready to part. Especially now I’ve seen how much childcare costs!

Bought SWMBO a mkVI Golf GT and have since come to learn the 160bhp is actually enough for a family wagon.

Then I drove a 986, realised I could pick one up and pocket a hunk of change towards the house fund. Still have Pork, still get the Bub around and have a much healthier bank balance.

Hope my inane chat is ok on this forum, I’m new and don’t know how much padding is allowed in the threads🤣

On topic - Lenny, how do you know when it’s working? Do you get a flashing on the dash for a bit when you start out?

Also is it remotely possible to get a baby seat into the GT3 rep buckets do we know?

2 minutes ago, The return of Marty Wild said:

On that TD front, it’s minimum age 16 is it not?! She sounds like she knows the score already, not bad for one so young.

Yeah she's got a few years to wait! And yeah, childcare costs are painful. 

I'm currently toying with the idea of buying either a Cayman or a 996/7 but I actually really like the fact that the cost of a 986 means that you don't have to be too precious about it... Which is handy given the number of stone chips mine has picked up on track. 

In terms of the switch, once coded, the dashboard airbag light will flash slowly for 10s or so when the switch is activated.

Yeah the near by nursery fees are eye watering. 

Funny you should say that, I feel the exact same about my proposed Boxster. Will do me and the wallet and my relationship some good to not have a car I’m super precious about haha.

What mods have you done for the track? You ever make it over to Bedford AD?

Cheers re. the airbag switcher heads up, all sounds spot on. 

I spoke to my dad and he's happy to make you one. They're apparently going away this weekend but he said he'll do it as soon as he can. It shouldn't take him long. 

I haven't really made that many changes for the track other than a low temp thermostat, stiffer ARBs, and RS engine/gearbox mounts.. Even the geo is stock. It's not hugely fast (I have a 2.5) on the straights but round the corners it can hold its own. Eventually I might upgrade the suspension but for now I think the car's abilities are still greater than the driver's! 

I'm planning to go to Bedford later in the year but most of the time I just go to Abingdon airfield (it's less than 10 miles away so it's easy for me to go reasonably often) 

In the same dilema here, I have the offical bar but no one I know of in north wales with piwis.

Is it possible to send the ecu to specalist by post for coding ? 

With the bar you also need a porsche seat or buckle to clip in to deactivate the airbag. 

@Lennym1984 - That is really kind of you both, thank you so much! Do you want to PM me some details for PayPal and/or addresses for beerski?

Which ARBs and Mounts did you go for? I’m putting together a little shopping list of ‘phase 1’ mods for mine. I’m planning on going a little more severe and putting her on a diet! Was going to do coilovers but the shopping list got real pricey real quickly.

Ive been to Bedford twice with ‘OpenTrack’, the owner Doughnut Dave puts on a real good event. Maybe we could hook up for a Boxster tour de force? :) 

Not heard of the Abingdon Airfield as it goes. That’s not the Top Gear track I take it?!

6 hours ago, beicmynydd said:

In the same dilema here, I have the offical bar but no one I know of in north wales with piwis.

Is it possible to send the ecu to specalist by post for coding ? 

With the bar you also need a porsche seat or buckle to clip in to deactivate the airbag. 

Yeah pain re. the bar needing a Porkie seat or at least buckle! You put a thread up on here asking for PIWIS in your area?

The R32oc has a thread dedicated to member locations that had VCDS and/or Vagcom.

1 hour ago, The return of Marty Wild said:

Yeah pain re. the bar needing a Porkie seat or at least buckle! You put a thread up on here asking for PIWIS in your area?

The R32oc has a thread dedicated to member locations that had VCDS and/or Vagcom.

Durametric Owner Listing & Requests for Assistance:

And a BoXa.net map which amongst other useful info includes Durametric owners who are prepared to help with recoding:

Two great resources....

2 hours ago, The return of Marty Wild said:

@Lennym1984 - That is really kind of you both, thank you so much! Do you want to PM me some details for PayPal and/or addresses for beerski? 

I'll let you know once he has done it. Assuming you're not too bothered by how it looks (specifically the box it comes in) he might have most of the parts in his workshop. 

I'd be well up for Bedford. Let me know when you next plan to go. 

Abingdon is run by motorsport events (who are great in my opinion). It's not that exciting to look at (it's a flat airfield) but the layouts are good and reasonably technical (depending on which one they do) which suits the car

That’s so good of you, cheers! Not fussed about the looks, I presume we just stow it under the passenger seat?

Looks like the next one is Thurs 27th which might be a touch soon given I don’t even have a Boxster yet?! Haha

https://www.opentrack.co.uk/product-category/bedford/

Your local one sounds cool, Bedford is an airstrip too, when on the full track it’s one of the longest in the country at 4.2m I think it is. I mean to get to Snetterton soon too.

I'm actually going to Abingdon on the 29th so probably won't be able to do Bedford as well. My original plan was to go later in the year (maybe October/November). One of my friends is buying a house in a village nearby (hopefully they will complete in a few months) so I'm planning (haven't told him yet) to stay there the night before.

5 hours ago, The return of Marty Wild said:

That’s so good of you, cheers! Not fussed about the looks, I presume we just stow it under the passenger seat?

Yeah, I just push mine underneath the seat. I was originally planning to velcro it to the floor but as it turns out, it doesn't really move about much anyway.

The ARBs I run are just the Base model M030 roll bars (for some reason the S M030 kit has a softer rear bar - no idea why) on stock suspension (the roads in Oxfordshire are cr*p). This setup came well recommended from the guys in the US doing autocross and track days and having now had it on the car for over a year now, I would wholeheartedly agree. They work really well without making the handling too uncomfortable or unpredictable.

The other mod I really recommend is the 964/993 RS engine mounts (they replace the Boxster gearbox mounts). They make the whole car feel more stable without any real downsides. I bought the URO aftermarket version from Type911 and they were great value (about £160 for the pair I think).

Obviously on a track car, you could go way more extreme than I have but as mentioned, I didn't want to do too many upgrades until my driving abilities > car abilities... Sadly whilst I'm getting closer, I think I'm still quite a way off!

Sounds good, how big is the unit then?

Yeah some people ran only upgraded ARBs on the front on the R32s. Some believe it promotes turn in. Sounds good though! Did you source the MO30 bars?

Do you have a link please so I’m sure I’m getting the right ones?

Im jumping in at the deep end and going a bit excessive but I’m trying to make it up to myself that I’m losing my baby.

Archived