Air con slow leak

Simon_S

Had the car regassed yesterday for £29 on a groupon offer at ATS. It passed the vacuum test but had lost 3/4 of the gas over a year. (Just prior to purchase it had new condensors fitted). At ATS they said 'this is normal for some cars'. Not sure I buy that!

Since it's obviously a very slow leak I'm going to try a can of leak stop with a uv dye included. Other than the condensors, does the AC have a tendency to leak from any other part of the system? 

S

Could be a pinpr*ck hole in a low pressure pipe somewhere or a worn seal in the compressor. Do you run th AC regularly? If not, the seals can perish as they are not getting lubricated. Hopefully the seal stuff should sort it out or at least help you find the leak.

What leak stop are you using? I might try that on my 107 which has the same issue.

I wouldn't use use leak stopper, it's a bodge and asking for causing other trouble. 

Get the system regassed with uv dye added and then get a uv light to find where the gas is getting out. 

I did this on my 981 which had a slow leak and it was obvious where the leak was. 

Air con pipes run next to jacking point on drivers side. Careless positioning of a jack can crush them causing a leak so worth checking there.

I had ATS regas my air con last year, worked for a few weeks then stopped. Turned out I had a very small hole in the air con condensor. Fitted new ones & ATS regassed for free. Been fine ever since, touch wood!

22 hours ago, Boxstercol said:

Air con pipes run next to jacking point on drivers side. Careless positioning of a jack can crush them causing a leak so worth checking there.

I had ATS regas my air con last year, worked for a few weeks then stopped. Turned out I had a very small hole in the air con condensor. Fitted new ones & ATS regassed for free. Been fine ever since, touch wood!

How long did it take to fit new condensors? Thinking I might have to do the same.

On 3 June 2018 at 9:37 PM, TimsterC said:

How long did it take to fit new condensors? Thinking I might have to do the same.

Not long to be honest, taking my time (as it was the first time I had removed the front PU & didn't want to damage it!), I reckon a couple of hours all in.

This included cleaning everything up when it was apart & treating the plastics with some cleaner / protector type stuff. It was the first proper job I actually done on the Boxster myself & to be fair it wasn't difficult at all. I had to complete it over a couple of days though as I stupidly rounded a bolt which holds one of the condensors to the frame, basically by not seating the allen key socket well enough. 

Bought condensors / dessicator (drier unit) from CoolParts UK via their eBay shop & genuine seals from OPC. Think the job cost less than £140 all in including regas - certainly much cheaper than the £700+ quoted by OPC! The condensors have a 2 year guarantee, however at that price I'd be happy to swap them out every two years - would still be cheaper than OPC price!

Archived