Buffing just the amber, will it de amber...

the baron

You'll need to cut a heck of a lot to lose the amber this way. 

You can grind down the amber lense. It's been done here. Very hard to get a good finish. Amberectomy is removing the amber reflector inside the clear light. 

2 hours ago, mattomg said:

Does this mean if you start with a higher grade sandpaper gradually working down you can de amber them ?

You need to remove over 1mm, so a machine/router needed. 

this is what I thought. My amber lights will need new clear corners but the main indicator amber is sandable from the outside rather than internal soldering iron. Would loe to see a youtube of it but nothing out there...........

Ive tried cutting it back and then polishing back looks good but it’s still a completely different colour to the corner piece and other amber, if just looks faded, I think I might have to buy a new headlight to match 

I have de-ambered many sets. The amber is about 2mm thick it can be sanded or machined but you have to be careful not to overheat the lens or it goes cloudy and then you're stuffed. I sanded them starting with 36 grit down to 1500 and then compound paste. Once you have done that the light needs to opened so you can paint the metal reflctor. On lights with amber it's light gold on clear lens lights it's anthracite.

On 7/1/2018 at 9:58 PM, mavis.d said:

I have de-ambered many sets. The amber is about 2mm thick it can be sanded or machined but you have to be careful not to overheat the lens or it goes cloudy and then you're stuffed. I sanded them starting with 36 grit down to 1500 and then compound paste. Once you have done that the light needs to opened so you can paint the metal reflctor. On lights with amber it's light gold on clear lens lights it's anthracite.

I’m not brave enough to use 36 grit

Archived