Tiny light next to Interior Light dome

Frankp2112

Hi,

I have only just noticed a very small light up in light dome odd thing about this light is its tiny and seems to be on all the tome - its not connected to the normal interior lights and changing the switch settings does not change anything.

Anyone any idea what this light is for?

Thanks

Frank

There should be one in the driver's door as well I think - pointing forward towards the ignition key slot. I think they're called orientation lights - they're intended for when you get into the car in complete darkness - even though they're very dim, they just give enough light for you to see what's where, get the key in the ignition etc. They're shrouded so that the driver can't actually see any of these lights from where (s)he sits - only the light they throw out onto other surfaces. I'm not sure they're on all the time, but I think they're only LEDs so use very little power anyway. They weren't present on my 1998 986 but had been added to the interior by the time I got my 2001 S.

1 hour ago, Jon61 said:

There should be one in the driver's door as well I think - pointing forward towards the ignition key slot. I think they're called orientation lights - they're intended for when you get into the car in complete darkness - even though they're very dim, they just give enough light for you to see what's where, get the key in the ignition etc. They're shrouded so that the driver can't actually see any of these lights from where (s)he sits - only the light they throw out onto other surfaces. I'm not sure they're on all the time, but I think they're only LEDs so use very little power anyway. They weren't present on my 1998 986 but had been added to the interior by the time I got my 2001 S.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wot 'e said

4 hours ago, Jon61 said:

Also, I think there's a little recessed button , like the ones you get on old digital watches or reset buttons.. If you poke it with a pen or the like you can toggle through 2 or 3 levels of brightness

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:27 PM, Mike G said:

Also, I think there's a little recessed button , like the ones you get on old digital watches or reset buttons.. If you poke it with a pen or the like you can toggle through 2 or 3 levels of brightness

I never knew that, poking stick coming out tonight!  :)

7 hours ago, Richard Hamilton said:

The setting goes from barely visible ultra dim to dim as a glow worm's armpit.  So you know what you are looking for:

orientation_light.jpg

mmmm     diffrent to mine, On my 04 986 , the recessed button is in the little roof console itself

Archived