Roof leak

Tallgeese

Just wondering if any of you can help with a roof leak I have discovered, I’m getting water coming in on the drivers side where the roof meets the windscreen. There’s a black what I’ll call roof locking bracket which has a worrying amount of water dribbling in but I can’t see how the water is getting in to it......

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated:)

1 hour ago, Tallgeese said:

Sorry about the quality it’s wet out there lol had to screenshot my photobucket :(

27C7BA64-B63E-4881-A088-D411E46E1BC1.jpeg

Pretty sure someone had a similar problem on a 987 recently which was a reasonably easy fix. Maybe @JohnK? You could do a search for ‘ roof leak’ and see what comes up. Good luck. 

6 minutes ago, red rocket said:

Pretty sure someone had a similar problem on a 987 recently which was a reasonably easy fix. Maybe @JohnK? You could do a search for ‘ roof leak’ and see what comes up. Good luck. 

Thanks buddy

IIRC the rubber screen seal finishes in a 'triangle" at the end. That triangle can get bent wrongly when the roof closes and the roof leaks. Compare the driver's side with the passenger side and other 986s. I'd also clean the seal and treat it with a silicone finisher.

8 minutes ago, Boxob said:

IIRC the rubber screen seal finishes in a 'triangle" at the end. That triangle can get bent wrongly when the roof closes and the roof leaks. Compare the driver's side with the passenger side and other 986s. I'd also clean the seal and treat it with a silicone finisher.

Yes that rings a bell from the last similar issue

Ok guys update, my car doesn’t seem to have the elastic strap on either side as shown in the repair video on YouTube. Are there varieties on the roof system or is something very wrong with mine???

"The roof video"?

If that was one I posted recently - or if not - note that the 986 and 987 have slightly different roof mechanisms, so make sure you have the correct video.  You have a 986.

Ok update, I have found that the wire inside the outer black bead is not pulling in as it should which means it’s either too slack or has snapped. Problem with this is I have no idea how to get at it to check, I can see the lower end with the loop eye and that looks ok but I can’t see the upper section at all :(

Any of you live near me and want to earn a beer or three ;)

1 hour ago, Tallgeese said:

Ok update, I have found that the wire inside the outer black bead is not pulling in as it should which means it’s either too slack or has snapped. Problem with this is I have no idea how to get at it to check, I can see the lower end with the loop eye and that looks ok but I can’t see the upper section at all :(

Any of you live near me and want to earn a beer or three ;)

Check out my roof cable thread on here in the how to section ?

Thing is, this won't solve the leak if it's coming in by the roof catch in your picture, sounds more like it could be the windscreen seal?

15 minutes ago, Sazzy said:

Check out my roof cable thread on here in the how to section ?

Thing is, this won't solve the leak if it's coming in by the roof catch in your picture, sounds more like it could be the windscreen seal?

I shall thanks buddy ;)

Archived