981 multifunction steering wheel replaced

Cupola981

If you follow the installation guide can't think how you could go wrong, the plugs in and out of the adapter are completely different. Assuming you ordered the correct adapter, there are installation guides for every step on his web site.

Hope all comes well in the end 😃.

I wouldn't expect the functions selector to work as it should now be redundant and  all transferred to the wheel buttons?

Edited by mneil
Ps

2 hours ago, AnthonyR said:

Well that didn't go very well, all fitted on OK and connected up the PIWIS system, then calibrated the steering angle sensor, all good so far but after that it didn't matter which options we selected on the PIWIS, it just wouldn't recognize the multifunction wheel and the heater at all, the mode selector switch works but that is all.

To cap it all the function select lever on the steering column now doesn't work at all either.

Not sure at this time if I have made a mistake in the connecting the adapters or if something is faulty, I have emailed the adapter guy to see what he comes up with

Did you get the replacement clock spring coded to the car?

4 hours ago, AnthonyR said:

Well that didn't go very well, all fitted on OK and connected up the PIWIS system, then calibrated the steering angle sensor, all good so far but after that it didn't matter which options we selected on the PIWIS, it just wouldn't recognize the multifunction wheel and the heater at all, the mode selector switch works but that is all.

To cap it all the function select lever on the steering column now doesn't work at all either.

Not sure at this time if I have made a mistake in the connecting the adapters or if something is faulty, I have emailed the adapter guy to see what he comes up with

Did you do the Maintenance of Vehicle Data, Automatic Coding of all control modules, and Function Enable with the activation code?

4cae419e0fec0c08094be9a1e863bd26.jpg

2 hours ago, zagamuffin said:

What’s a clock spring btw , pics ??

The proper name is the steering wheel Contact Unit.  It is the rotary electrical connection between the steering column and steering wheel.  On older cars it was a flat cable that was wound around the column like a clock spring.  On the 981 it incorporates the steering column control module as a single unit, whereas they were separate units on the 987.

Edited by Richard Hamilton
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Richard Hamilton said:

Did you do the Maintenance of Vehicle Data, Automatic Coding of all control modules, and Function Enable with the activation code?

I have got to be honest I was in Ian's hands in this, he was following the instructions that are posted on the GPS website and he did it multiple times but to no avail.

I have the full log file if want to have a look at it......

I haven't heard back from the GPS guy as yet either so I am struggling for a solution, otherwise I have a very expensive ornament.....

All done! Added the 'China' interface to the new wheel, carefully following the detailed instructions; a bit fiddly but not complicated, the plugs only fit one way (the interface substitutes for a new clock-spring, so you don't need both) and then the wheel to the car. The paddles worked fine, but don't respond to both being pulled back to get neutral. Then off down to Richard, who completed the programming with apparent ease, together with the code from Dmitry (Russia). I now have full MF steering wheel, a disabled MF stork, as I guess you can't have both! Still can't get the double paddle neutral (though I'm not concerned) as the 981 only appears to have options for MF wheels or Paddle wheels, maybe the 718 has both. So a pretty straight forward process, does anyone fancy a Sport Design wheel, now surplus and destined for e-bay.

So the steps are different for the 981 vs the 987.2; easy to deal with Dmitry in Russia to get the code (within the hour); easy to deal with Paul in China to get the interface (3 days), import duty was £22.00.

Oh and yes I have rain sensitive wipers too, just switch to the intermittent wipe and they are moisture dependent for acting, much improved. Interesting that they only needed activating, I wonder  what else there is that can be easily added!

21 hours ago, AnthonyR said:

I have got to be honest I was in Ian's hands in this, he was following the instructions that are posted on the GPS website and he did it multiple times but to no avail.

I have the full log file if want to have a look at it......

I haven't heard back from the GPS guy as yet either so I am struggling for a solution, otherwise I have a very expensive ornament.....

You lose the stalk control when you code the multi-function wheel.  Having read the instructions for fitting the SportDesign paddle wheel to a car which has a multifunction wheel you have to change the stalk unit to give the lower-right stalk, which isn't fitted if it has a MFSW.  The instructions also say the SD wheel is only available without heating (I345) by the way.

So it looks like you can have multifunction controls via the a stalk, or via a MFSW, but not both.  I did the coding for David today, and that's what happened.  I was half tempted to try coding it for a SD wheel AND MFSW, but we thought better of it.

Anyway, the GPS adapter David fitted would seem to make the clockspring/control unit recognise the multifunction controls.  Personally, I can't see the point of fitting an adapter AND a new (MFSW) clockspring/control unit.  Of course, you need a different clockspring for heating, but if the clockspring you bought was for MFSW and heating, I think you probably have too many units installed.  If that was the clockspring you bought, I would try doing the coding without any adapters in place. 

Thanks very much for the comprehensive reply Richard.

Ian did say that the functions of the stalk are transferred to the MFSW however when we put the coding back to how it was before we started but with the MFSW and new clockspring still fitted the stalk still would not work.

I still have my original wheel and clockspring and was going to try different combinations to see if anything improves, unfortunately Ian lives about 45 mins away from me so making coding changes requires a bit of planning.

25 minutes ago, AnthonyR said:

..... however when we put the coding back to how it was before we started but with the MFSW and new clockspring still fitted the stalk still would not work.

If you left the new clockspring in place, then I think I would expect that to happen.  Because the clocksprings are different for MFSW/Non-MFSW, I expect there are different connections inside.

As a matter of interest, what is the part number of the new clockspring?

12 hours ago, AnthonyR said:

The clockspring is: 9A7 953 568 11

The MFSW is: 99104440031A34

That's a 718 clockspring for a heated wheel.  It is only used on the 718 - no other models.  Unlike the 981 (which has about 8 variants), it looks like there are only two 718 clocksprings - one for heated wheels, and one without.  To be honest, I think you are in completely uncharted territory here.  I think you have two options.  a) Change back to your original clockspring, fit both adapters, and do the coding again (99% likely to work IMO) or b) Leave the 982 clockspring in place, remove the GPS adapters and re-code it (50:50 IMO).

I suspect that if the 718 clockspring worked on a 981 then Porsche would offer it as a replacement for the 981, which they don't.

43 minutes ago, Richard Hamilton said:

That's a 718 clockspring for a heated wheel.  It is only used on the 718 - no other models.  Unlike the 981 (which has about 8 variants), it looks like there are only two 718 clocksprings - one for heated wheels, and one without.  To be honest, I think you are in completely uncharted territory here.  I think you have two options.  a) Change back to your original clockspring, fit both adapters, and do the coding again (99% likely to work IMO) or b) Leave the 982 clockspring in place, remove the GPS adapters and re-code it (50:50 IMO).

I suspect that if the 718 clockspring worked on a 981 then Porsche would offer it as a replacement for the 981, which they don't.

Richard if they had such a thing as Mastermind for Porsche you would win it hands down.👍

1 hour ago, Richard Hamilton said:

That's great info, many thanks. I will definitely be giving that a go.

Any chance you could dig out the 981 clockspring part no for MFSW and heating in case I have to get another one 

If this works I am going to owe you a beer!!

It is a bit of a minefield, but from what I can make out, it should be 958.652.568.14 (£276.55 incl. VAT).  That is the only one I can find for a Manual with MFSW and Steering Wheel Heating.

As you already have them, I would definitely try option (a) first if I were you.  After all, that's what the two adapters were designed to do.

Digging deeper into the parts list, I found that there are only two versions of the clockspring/control unit for the 981 now:

958.652.568.04 - Without heated steering wheel - £302.46 incl. VAT
958.652.568.14  - With heated steering wheel - £276.55 incl. VAT

All previous versions have been replaced with one of these two.  I'll leave it to someone else to figure out why it is cheaper for the heated wheel version....

23 hours ago, AnthonyR said:

Thanks, will let you know how I get on.

Will deffo try my original clockspring firs

My understanding of the adapter was to allow the alternative wheel from the 718 to communicate with 981 parts, which would surely mean using the 981 click spring in one form or other? When I changed my wheel to the 718 wheel that was my understanding after communication from Paul at GPS, it was a plug and play, therefore I would assume the 718 clockspring to be the wrong part?

I changed the clockspring back to the original one, the selector stalk is now working again but I am still getting the steering error message and the multifunction and heating are not working.

I did this without any coding, the car had been left coded as if it had a heated multifunction wheel so I thought it might work. 

I think you will need to re-do the coding.  If the stalk is working, it is coded for a standard steering wheel.  If it was coded for MFSW, the stalk wouldn't work. 

You'll get the steering angle sensor error as a result of disconnecting the clockspring, and it needs initialising, or maybe even calibration.  To initialise it, start the car and put the wheels in the straight ahead position.  Turn the wheel about 20° to the right, and then back to centre.  Drive forward, and when you reach about 2mph the error should go.  If that doesn't work, it will need calibrating with PIWIS.

• 2 weeks later...

All still working well with the new wheel, which looks like the 718, much more modern and saving my arm all that movement back and forward to the PCM! But finding the, now redundant stalk annoying, so I decided to finish the project and remove this. Apparently this can just be taken off, like a 987 as the connector on the back links it to the wiper stalk (I'll try this later just to check). There are a number of replacement stalk assemblies available (thanks for your help Richard), but you need to check the options and I have the headlight cleaning (never used) which is a bit less common, so I decided to buy the replacement from OPC Silverstone (always helpful!) and I fitted it yesterday without issue, all working correctly (including the auto-rain sensor) and now no spare stalk. Out of interest, I did the fitment without disconnecting the battery, risking an issue with the steering sensor I know, but potentially benefiting from not losing any settings and it paid off. The airbag removal replacement wasn't an issue, I've done that before, but I was able to remove the clock-spring from the stalk housing, without unplugging it from the car, so no resetting of the angle sensor (or anything else) required.