981 multifunction steering wheel replaced

Cupola981

36 minutes ago, CMA said:

Nice work on the wheel. Regarding the roof issue. Was yours rubbing the boot a lot or jut in a couple of spots? Mines has 2 spots that rub against the bootlid one each side about 15mm wide. My old 981 didn't do this. Was wondering if I needed to pop in for them to look at it

Yes I suspect when the roof folds back there is some way of keeping the outer roof and the interior linings together otherwise they would just end up in a crumpled mess mine had issues with the drivers side section so when it stowed down it didn’t fold in properly hence the rubbing/catching of the upper edge of the boot if it’s rubbing on any bodypanels it’s not right. Although the marks/ abrasions that seem to appear on the rear side sections are right.  I was told the famous opc sentence “they all do that” 

18 minutes ago, Cupola981 said:

Yes I suspect when the roof folds back there is some way of keeping the outer roof and the interior linings together otherwise they would just end up in a crumpled mess mine had issues with the drivers side section so when it stowed down it didn’t fold in properly hence the rubbing/catching of the upper edge of the boot if it’s rubbing on any bodypanels it’s not right. Although the marks/ abrasions that seem to appear on the rear side sections are right.  I was told the famous opc sentence “they all do that” 

Thanks for that this is what mine looks like on the drivers side, its the same on the passenger side. Similar? Sheffields my local OPC so handy to know they have already seen similar if I take it in

43596761601_4e68c0c3cc_c.jpg

(just popped the roof up a few inch for this shot)

Edited by CMA

57 minutes ago, Cupola981 said:

well they don't 'all do that' but read into it 'it's a design flaw but we aren't covering it sir, now feck off' as the truer, but less polite response from an OPC

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CMA said:

Thanks for that this is what mine looks like on the drivers side, its the same on the passenger side. Similar? Sheffields my local OPC so handy to know they have already seen similar if I take it in

43596761601_4e68c0c3cc_c.jpg

(just popped the roof up a few inch for this shot)

Hmm that’s never right my boxster had 69k when I got it 2 years ago and although they replaced my roof under warranty there weren’t any pressure marks like that. 

Great mod - the practicality of the MF, the styling is better and the paddles are still there too !

I was never a fan of the MF but I find myself thinking I'm often searching for buttons with so much connectivity in the newer cars.

• 1 year later...
6 minutes ago, david25455 said:

I'm just about to make the same mod to my 981, adding a MF steering wheel to an originally non MF car. Can you advise the Russian website for the coding? I assume that worked ok! Who did the PIWIS coding for you?

Like Cupola981, my original wheel was MF so it was just plug and play via the module from German Performance Service in China. Take a look on his website, one clever guy and also very quick to respond to an enquiry.

not used myself as my 981 has most of the options I want or need.

My warranty doesn't expire until next March either. I am tempted by the MF sports wheel, however I think reversing camera would be higher up my wish list.

And all that is after the sports suspension (X73 I think it's called)

As far as i know when they check your cars spec they can tell if anything is different from the original delivery.  If the extra was carried out by Porsche then this data will be updated. I can only say as they picked up i have pse now and it was retrofitted by an independent . Did say any issues with it then it i would have to take it up with the independent? 

I am going through this process at the moment as well, I have gone for a heated multifunction GT sports wheel with the mode selector switch as well.

So far I have the new wheel, air bag and clock spring, I have the activation codes for heating and multifunction from the Russian guy, I spent last night installing the adapters in the wheel, the heated version is a little bit more difficult as you have to change the micro switch as well, but that is all done now.

Just need to get my coding guy to come before I can install everything, apparently you can't start the car after installing the new clock spring  unless you have the PIWIS tool plugged in, not sure why.

I was told by the guy that makes the adapters that you need to change the clock spring, on a car of my age (2013) if you are adding wheel heating, otherwise you don't have to.

My coding guy is coming tomorrow so we are approaching the moment of truth!!

Edited by AnthonyR

Well that didn't go very well, all fitted on OK and connected up the PIWIS system, then calibrated the steering angle sensor, all good so far but after that it didn't matter which options we selected on the PIWIS, it just wouldn't recognize the multifunction wheel and the heater at all, the mode selector switch works but that is all.

To cap it all the function select lever on the steering column now doesn't work at all either.

Not sure at this time if I have made a mistake in the connecting the adapters or if something is faulty, I have emailed the adapter guy to see what he comes up with