981 multifunction steering wheel replaced

Cupola981

25 minutes ago, Cupola981 said:

Just swapped my multifunction wheel for a new style 991.2 can’t believe what a difference it’s made this is the wheel the 981 should’ve had from new   

5A390B2B-8DF3-40A5-AE87-3533D4DD7612.jpeg

Congrats. Nice piece of kit, isn't it :)

Wheel cost including airbag £950 Ebay guy bought it to swap into his 991.1 and opc said couldn’t be done. So he never got round to sorting it and then changed car. Then I had to buy a small adapter and new heated wheel activation switch £440 ?then took me an hour to fit the adapter recodes the signals from the steering wheel and sends the correct signals to the clock spring I think and the 45 mins to swap the wheel. All works as factory including heating and designation button 

So £950 + £440 and a bit of head scratching. 

7 minutes ago, spook said:

Noticed from the picture that your 981 has 75k miles. Mine is of a similar vintage. Have you had any mileage-related problems?

Well how long have you got ? I’ve had the car 2 years only one previous owner full opc history 69k when I got it.  First thing I noticed was the roof seemed to bulge out and catch the boot lid when folded down took it to the opc Sheffield and the said it needed a complete new roof and was replaced under warranty. Second problem air con condenser developed a leak so that too was replaced under warranty after this work was done the air con lost its gas twice.solution was pipe need replacement a huge job they said again warranty took care of it. other things I had to do. New windscreen refurbished wheels repainted front bumper both side skirts and roll over hoops. New 991.2 steering wheel oh I forgot exhaust had to have new upper mounts fitted due to a slight blow this wasn’t covered under warranty oh and when it went in for the air con work they chipped one of the headlights but denied it .and I ended up paying a third towards a new one phew. 

but I’m absolutely mad about this car. I’ve been loaned a few 718s and all I can think is what a absolute shame. It isn’t anywhere near a special i my 981. 

20 minutes ago, topradio said:

Great mod, I will have to look into this. Where does the heated wheel switch go?

It just replaced the original switch inside the new wheel apparently The new wheel needs a modified resistor to work in the 981. My original wheel was multifunction with heating and the new wheel is the same so a straight swap as far as functionally was concerned. 

3 minutes ago, rpn said:

Can I ask where you got the adopter from? I've read a post, iirc in Planet-9, a guy in the US did the same mods and he got the adopter from China.

Yes came from China company called German Performance Service. Very good at keeping in touch and good website with instructions and the guy replies very fast to queries can’t recommend them enough not a cheap thing but so worth it. 

2 hours ago, Boxster981S said:

Does fitting this not invalidate your OPC warranty? Or has it already expired?

No my warranty still has a year to run I don’t see how it could unless I claimed for a fault that was to do with the new wheel 

I’d like to see them try and invalidate my warranty especially when they’ve been nothing short of useless on many occasions. 

Anyway I’m keeping the old MF wheel and as it’s a 15 min job to swap back over if it needed to go into them. and nothing on the cars been changed I can’t see any problem 

6 minutes ago, topradio said:

Such a modification will almost certainly invalidate the warranty - if that's important to you. 

How would they ever know they are total puddings. 

imagine the case against them we won’t honour your warranty ie for a gearbox problem because you fitted a genuine Porsche steering wheel and air bag. 

Me doesn’t think so ? I don’t roll over that easy. 

and anyway how would they know. as I said it takes 15 mins to put back to factory. 

You are correct of course. However if you were to call Porsche and ask them they will tell you that it will invalidate the warranty. Something as simple as fitting Zunsport grills will do the same. However I can't see that fitting a MF steering wheel not designed for the car could should indemnify them from honouring the guarantee but the small print will say that it can

43 minutes ago, topradio said:

You are correct of course. However if you were to call Porsche and ask them they will tell you that it will invalidate the warranty. Something as simple as fitting Zunsport grills will do the same. However I can't see that fitting a MF steering wheel not designed for the car could should indemnify them from honouring the guarantee but the small print will say that it can

I t

43 minutes ago, topradio said:

I totally agree with you but I don’t think there as sharp as we’d like to think a case in point I’ve done other mods that weren’t picked up on the last condition check the one you pay £180 for prior to the extended warranty being issued so Im not worried in the least.  I suspect the check consists of 1 does it start 2 is it shiny. 3 get £1200 of them for 2 years   Can’t see them looking for a reason not to take my hard earned off me after all that’s something porsche seem to be very good at.

and bear in mind the the wheel I fitted was sold to a customer fitting it to an early version 991 strange they never mentioned any problems with fitting or warranty they just got pound signs in there eyes.  

I have a standard wheel on a MT car I fancy having a go at this am i right in thinking buy

1) Any 718, 991.2 wheel with multifunction for a MT car
2) Buy a new clockring
3) Buy the code to enable MF from that russian site
4) Connect it all up and code with PIWIS to enable MF 
and oilla?

26 minutes ago, toocan said:

I have a standard wheel on a MT car I fancy having a go at this am i right in thinking buy

1) Any 718, 991.2 wheel with multifunction for a MT car
2) Buy a new clockring
3) Buy the code to enable MF from that russian site
4) Connect it all up and code with PIWIS to enable MF 
and oilla?

No need for a new clock ring - the PIWIS will code it for MFSW.

You will also need the German Performance Service adapter.

Et voila then Rodney.

Edited by spook

11 minutes ago, toocan said:

You sure on the clock ring as ive read none mf need new ring to uodate to mf (as well as coding)

As far as I'm aware, there is just the one part number for the clock spring and the applicable options are coded by PIWIS

On 7/21/2018 at 11:03 PM, Cupola981 said:

First thing I noticed was the roof seemed to bulge out and catch the boot lid when folded down took it to the opc Sheffield and the said it needed a complete new roof and was replaced under warranty.

Nice work on the wheel. Regarding the roof issue. Was yours rubbing the boot a lot or jut in a couple of spots? Mines has 2 spots that rub against the bootlid one each side about 15mm wide. My old 981 didn't do this. Was wondering if I needed to pop in for them to look at it