981 multifunction steering wheel replaced

Cupola981

1 hour ago, Raffe said:

I’ve bought the adapter which has arrived already. I will report back once all the bits have arrived albeit not expecting the wheel until after Christmas break now.

They want £500 for the one to control the mode dial, that's crazy. Will add more value to you with your set up..good luck.

• Like 1

I picked mine up off eBay delivered for £260 - came from a 2017 Cayman. Wheel was brand new and got the GPS harness which you’ll need from China. All in its about £1750, not cheap but will make a huge difference to driving experience.

About to fit, hoping for it to be straight forward.. 🤞

52587055120_b69107a323_k.jpg

11 minutes ago, Raffe said:

I picked mine up off eBay delivered for £260 - came from a 2017 Cayman. Wheel was brand new and got the GPS harness which you’ll need from China. All in its about £1750, not cheap but will make a huge difference to driving experience.

About to fit, hoping for it to be straight forward.. 🤞

52587055120_b69107a323_k.jpg

Thanks - and the airbag?

6 hours ago, Beancounter said:

Thanks - and the airbag?

£260 from eBay as per last post, be careful though as I’m going to have to return this as it’s no good. Think I’m going to have to go new for piece of mind.

For me, the best thing was getting the rotary dial working to set the sports/sports plus mode, otherwise I’d doubt I’ll get the GPS adapter . 

It was a bit of an expensive upgrade in total, but for me makes the experience much better not having to look down to change driving modes 

40 minutes ago, daz05 said:

@Driyageand that works via Bluetooth is that right? 

When I flashed my cluster for pcm4 before I coded everything I was able to create an individual mode which I guess is linked to the rotary dial.

I’m not quite sure if it is Bluetooth(haven’t really dug into it), but the GPS module in the steering wheel and the receiver that plugs into the centre console are pre paired. 

Interestingly one thing I’ve noticed is that since fitting my Joyeauto, there’s a slight interference between the wireless CarPlay and the GPS module in the sense that it takes a couple of minutes longer for the rotary dial to register any mode changes. This is probably because my joyeauto unit is pretty much under the steering wheel on the right 

• 2 weeks later...

With a bit of collaboration from Daz on airbags all in and good to go, really pleased. All of the multifunction buttons work perfectly as expected with the GPS Adapter box of tricks. 

The cost isn’t really justifiable but I hated the OEM wheel so much it had to be done.

52612782184_b34b9ed853_k.jpg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Raffe said:

With a bit of collaboration from Daz on airbags all in and good to go, really pleased. All of the multifunction buttons work perfectly as expected with the GPS Adapter box of tricks. 

The cost isn’t really justifiable but I hated the OEM wheel so much it had to be done.

52612782184_b34b9ed853_k.jpg

Looks awesome, different proposition altogether when you need to replace the old MF wheel.

I've just realised with Pcm4 installed the GPS adapter probably wouldn't have worked for me anyway I would have need to upgrade the clockspring and modules and would have needed the cruise control and MF codes enabled. So either way I was in for an expensive project.

• 4 months later...

Can some please help me with my 981S.  I retrofitted a PCM 4.0 which required me to code the cluster for it to work.  I am having the following issues

1.  I had retrofitted a 718 GT steering wheel with GPSAdapter from a sport design wheel.  Now it does not work.  Do I need to get a new clockspring? Also do I have to get it coded to get the multifunction to work(worked with GPSadapter).  Will I lose cruise control and require a new code?  If I want heating is that an addtional code?  (adding up quickly. lol)

2. Is it possible to code the PCM for backup camera?  I was told I needed just the pigtail from the pcm to rca for aftermarket camera.  I had a pcm 3.1 backup camera adapter before.

3. I added voice stalk do I need just to get activation code?

On 12/28/2022 at 3:26 PM, daz05 said:

@Driyageand that works via Bluetooth is that right? 

When I flashed my cluster for pcm4 before I coded everything I was able to create an individual mode which I guess is linked to the rotary dial.

Do you upgraded to the new steering wheel with the Rotary dial? did you have to change the Clock spring? What coding did you do?