Hold on Reversing up a steep incline with MT

toocan

Nearly got myself in a few scrapes on a forward steep incline then reversing. Effectively foot is on clutch and brake, stick it in Reverse the min I take my foot off the brake I would expect the hill hold to kick in so have to rapidaly move the foot to the accelerator to stop the car rolling forward (its a steep include)

The other option is to use the E-brake like a conventional handbrake but its very awkward reaching down to your right knee

Thoughts?

It might not be the same with MT but with PDK if you have your seatbelt on, the electronic hand brake automatically releases when the car senses you're trying to pull away when you give it some throttle, you don't need to reach down and flick the switch manually. Maybe on the manual it will auto release the e-brake as the clutch starts to bite, but if that is the case it will only work if your seatbelt is on.

the handbrake doesnt release in reverse even when seatbelt is on and theirs enough torque to knock it off if it was going forward in a similar situation .... im assuming the hill hold function isnt working correctly - it should work in 1st or R on the incline its at.. possible issue? Its under warranty just going to be a realy hard one to demo to them

8 hours ago, toocan said:

the handbrake doesnt release in reverse even when seatbelt is on and theirs enough torque to knock it off if it was going forward in a similar situation .... im assuming the hill hold function isnt working correctly - it should work in 1st or R on the incline its at.. possible issue? Its under warranty just going to be a realy hard one to demo to them

on a 6MT - pretty sure mine does auto let off e-handbrake whether in forward or reverse (always reverse out of the driveway and cant remember ever taking off manually).

I dont think Hill Hold works on reverse though, never notice it as rarely reverse down a hill...

Does it say it works on both in the manual?

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/2014-boxster-manual/7/132/Electric-Parking-Brake

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/2014-boxster-manual/7/163/HOLD-Function:-Drive-Off-Assistant-Standstill-Management

this implies it only works pulling away UP a hill

HOLD Function: Drive-Off Assistant, Standstill Management
The HOLD function, as an assistance function, assists the driver when stopping and driving off on upward slopes.

The vehicle is automatically prevented from rolling back away from the desired direction of travel.

When the HOLD function is active, the indicator light hold_icon_green.jpg on the instrument panel comes on.

Driving off with the Drive-Off Assistant on vehicles with manual transmission

1. Hold the vehicle securely on the slope with the footbrake.
    The engine must be running.
  2. Press the clutch pedal fully.
  3. Engage a gear corresponding to the direction of travel up the slope (1st gear or reverse gear).
  4. Release the footbrake while keeping the clutch pedal pressed.
    The vehicle is held on the slope to facilitate driving off and prevent it from rolling back.
  5. Drive off as usual.

info_icon.pngInformation
If the vehicle is held on the slope by the electric parking brake, drive off in the usual way. The electric parking brake detects the driver’s intention to drive off and is released automatically.

For information on the electric parking brake:

• Please see the chapter "ELECTRIC PARKING BRAKE" on page 132.

1 hour ago, MIkeyv60 said:

Ive never known a hill hold to work when reversering up a hill. The idea is to stop you rolling backwards when pulling away so if you are facing forward i dont thinks its clever enough 

The way I read the manual it seems to imply it works in reverse as well as forward:

3. Engage a gear corresponding to the direction of travel up the slope (1st gear or reverse gear).
    The vehicle is held on the slope to facilitate driving off and prevent it from rolling back.
  5. Drive off as usual.

13 hours ago, Buzzfox said:

The way I read the manual it seems to imply it works in reverse as well as forward:

5. Drive off as usual.

I have pdk so i dont notice it working , but i stand corrected as tried on van today and which is manual and does work, so i would guess the porsche would?

20 hours ago, MIkeyv60 said:

Ive never known a hill hold to work when reversering up a hill. The idea is to stop you rolling backwards when pulling away so if you are facing forward i dont thinks its clever enough 

The car is clever enough to automagically apply the electic parking brake when parking on a slope...

1 hour ago, Maples said:

I tried this on a parkade ramp and yes indeed the hold feature worked in reverse, I have a 2015 BGTS, manual transmission.

everyday is a school day :)

would try it one mine but OPC still have it and would like their PDK 718 back tomorrow irrespective...

13 hours ago, Maples said:

I tried this on a parkade ramp and yes indeed the hold feature worked in reverse, I have a 2015 BGTS, manual transmission.

maybe the incline was greater or i was doing it wrong

1. footbrake one
2. Clutch down
3. Put it in reverse

you then see the word "HOLD" then you can take your foot of the brake?

59 minutes ago, toocan said:

maybe the incline was greater or i was doing it wrong

1. footbrake one
2. Clutch down
3. Put it in reverse

you then see the word "HOLD" then you can take your foot of the brake?

Yes thats it, assuming "If the engine is running, the driver’s door is closed and the driver’s safety belt is fastened"  thats pretty obvious.  I was on a down slope into a garage, footbrake on and clutch depressed, when I put it into reverse the "HOLD" light came, take your foot off the brake and the car is held as long as the clutch is depressed.  Depending on how steep the slope is it can be a little tricky giving it enough revs so that when you release the clutch it will move up the slope.

The important thing is that the "HOLD" light comes on, if not then presumably it is either faulty, or the slope is not steep enough to activate the hold feature.

I have noticed on my car that this feature is inconsistent, driving the same route and stopped at the same traffic light the hold feature will sometimes engage, or not.  I am not sure if this is because that location is close to the computer recognizing the degree of slope which is stated as 5% by Porsche.

I hate the hold function in my MT 718S. In fact, it is one of the absolutely stupidest things I have ever seen Porsche or any other car maker do. It works absolutely fine in our PDK McCann, but with MT it's a PITA.

We used to have a Golf Mk7 that had manual and hold function was brilliant. Come up to a stop, good firm shove on the brake pedal, hold engaged, into neutral and the auto stop kicks in. Ready to drive off? Clutch in, engage gear and off you go, perfectly.

So I get my 718S expecting it to be the same. Oh no. Wrong.

Firstly the slope has to be above 5% as stated. Geraint Thomas would struggle on a slope of 5% - it's that steep. So on anything other than an Alp, it's useless. There is no way to bring it in manually, like a good firm shove on the pedal like PDK cars can do. Why not?

Ok, so assume that you're on a 5%+ slope and auto hold is engaged while you're waiting for the lights to change. Put the car in neutral to engage auto stop, and it disengages the hold function and the car rolls backwards and makes you look like a complete dick. Ask me how I know this.

If only Porsche adopted the VW system, or the way the PDK cars' system operates there would be no rant required.

(Un)Happy.

2 hours ago, Happy Days said:

I hate the hold function in my MT 718S. In fact, it is one of the absolutely stupidest things I have ever seen Porsche or any other car maker do. It works absolutely fine in our PDK McCann, but with MT it's a PITA.

We used to have a Golf Mk7 that had manual and hold function was brilliant. Come up to a stop, good firm shove on the brake pedal, hold engaged, into neutral and the auto stop kicks in. Ready to drive off? Clutch in, engage gear and off you go, perfectly.

So I get my 718S expecting it to be the same. Oh no. Wrong.

Firstly the slope has to be above 5% as stated. Geraint Thomas would struggle on a slope of 5% - it's that steep. So on anything other than an Alp, it's useless. There is no way to bring it in manually, like a good firm shove on the pedal like PDK cars can do. Why not?

Ok, so assume that you're on a 5%+ slope and auto hold is engaged while you're waiting for the lights to change. Put the car in neutral to engage auto stop, and it disengages the hold function and the car rolls backwards and makes you look like a complete dick. Ask me how I know this.

If only Porsche adopted the VW system, or the way the PDK cars' system operates there would be no rant required.

(Un)Happy.

works fine on my 6MT....foot on footbrake in the short term and in gear, clutch engaged...if at lights I rarely have the misfortune of beign on a slope and wanting to slip out of gear anyway

Archived