Snap, crackle, pop and blip - sorry... newbie silly questions

moospeed

First off... apologies for the probably very basic question here, I have tried with the Search function but not having any luck at all.  Not sure if it's something to do with the mobile browser but here goes... you seem friendly so hopefully I won't get flamed too badly.

Q1. do all 981 models (Boxster and Cayman) have the overrun crackle exhaust noise or is it only on as an option ?

Q2. the auto downshift blip on the manual box, is that an optional extra?  I thought it was only with Sport Chrono but have read a conflicting statement on another forum.

Q3. is anyone offering a different final drive yet for shorter gears?

Many thanks

Steve

1. There is a small amount of overrun crackle with the standard exhaust but not much. This increases in Sport mode and obviously depends on driving style, so accelerate hard in 1st or second and then lift off and you will get some crackle.  When you have the PSE (sport exhaust) they also update the engine map to significantly  increase the crackle/pop and it’s obviously louder due to less silencing.  Note in Sport+ (Sport Chrono) the crackles are slightly reduced over Sport mode as this is a more performance oriented mode.

2. Yes this is part of Sport Chrono. (Or heel and toe ?)

There are some companies offering either final drive or revised ratios for the gearbox.  Only in USA and Germany that I've seen.

Not a cheap modification, and not quite as necessary with the PDK box.

7 hours ago, Greenman said:

1. There is a small amount of overrun crackle with the standard exhaust but not much. This increases in Sport mode and obviously depends on driving style, so accelerate hard in 1st or second and then lift off and you will get some crackle.  When you have the PSE (sport exhaust) they also update the engine map to significantly  increase the crackle/pop and it’s obviously louder due to less silencing.  Note in Sport+ (Sport Chrono) the crackles are slightly reduced over Sport mode as this is a more performance oriented mode.

2. Yes this is part of Sport Chrono. (Or heel and toe ?)

Many thanks, good to know.

I've been pedalling sportscars for thirty years now (jeez, what a realisation) so I'm aware it's a bit of a gimmick.  But I quite like the idea of having the option and playing with the toys ?

5 hours ago, Patt said:

There are some companies offering either final drive or revised ratios for the gearbox.  Only in USA and Germany that I've seen.

Not a cheap modification, and not quite as necessary with the PDK box.

Yeah, it seems the PDK was perhaps Porsche's favoured choice when building these.  That would of course answer the auto-blip as well ??

Thanks for the answers.

7 hours ago, Stuart21UK said:

auto blip is not available on early manual cars from what I recall....my 2013 doesn't have it and I do have pse but not sports plus/chrono

I’m not 100% sure whether the early cars had it or not, ( I thought they did) but given it’s a feature of Sport Chrono then you wouldn’t expect it to to have it in any case.

Edit: Just doing a bit of reading suggests it may have appeared in MY14 manual cars, so looks like you are right.

9 hours ago, Greenman said:

I’m not 100% sure whether the early cars had it or not, ( I thought they did) but given it’s a feature of Sport Chrono then you wouldn’t expect it to to have it in any case.

Edit: Just doing a bit of reading suggests it may have appeared in MY14 manual cars, so looks like you are right.

Yes think it came in on later 981 manuals...not sure how if you had to have sports plus/chrono though....

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't realise the car popped and banged more in 'Sport' as opposed to 'Sport +', i'll have to test this, I just assumed it would pop more in 'Sport +', hence I drive mine in 'Sport +' all the time ?

Archived