Porsche wisdom now cut out

the baron

So as a few will know I have had rot just below the air intake, this is mainly due to a piece of sponge behind the metal body work, this over time rusts, mines gone on the nearside.

Ive now had it cut out and a new bit of metal welded in and all wax oiled behind the panel so hopefully good for a few more years.

Why oh why did Porsche put sponge here?/

Here’s the pics:

C045AB53-8B26-46BB-BBB0-4D0729EF0863.jpe

C26B5CF9-B9AB-4DFF-9C19-488FF3276B59.jpe

9 minutes ago, Eddy555 said:

What was the cost of having this done?

Ive been shopping around for a while and have had varying quotes right upto £1200 + vat.

I paid £320 and he’s not VAT registered, he’s been doing this for 30 yrs and has an excellent reputation hence using him, I’m more than happy with the result, he sprayed the whole rear qtr and part of the door to blend it in, he even wax oiled the inner panel.

On 8/18/2018 at 11:07 AM, the baron said:

So as a few will know I have had rot just below the air intake, this is mainly due to a piece of sponge behind the metal body work, this over time rusts, mines gone on the nearside.

Ive now had it cut out and a new bit of metal welded in and all wax oiled behind the panel so hopefully good for a few more years.

Why oh why did Porsche put sponge here?/

Here’s the pics:

C045AB53-8B26-46BB-BBB0-4D0729EF0863.jpe

C26B5CF9-B9AB-4DFF-9C19-488FF3276B59.jpe

We have an older Seat Ibiza, this has the same issue with the front wings. They rust at the top of the wheel arch due to a sound deadening piece of sponge. Doh!!

It is usually the driver side though. I think they were putting foam there, for sound absorbing and usually the driver's side intake gets very hot! Over time, there is usually moisture in that area and with a small crack the rust gets in...Considering your car 20 years old, not bad with that age.

8 minutes ago, ooid said:

Body work on 986/996 is fantastic I think. Compare to similar age, TVR or another car, they are just brilliant. 

Yep. This was one of the major factors in my decision to buy a Boxster in the first place. 

I've not had that problem either (mine is a 98) but as ooid says, they are now approaching the age when rust starts to become a problem even for galvanised cars. I've recently seen a few with rusty arches (front and back) and I know there have been a few reports of rust on the underside

11 hours ago, Topbox said:

No its on the nearside, end of first paragraph. Incidently @the baron are you now aware of anthing that could be done in  the form of preventative measures?

I would remove the sound deadening/foam to help stop moisture build up and also apply a liberal amount of wax oil type wax, very thick and nasty stuff but it will help.

Coincidentally a number of people I approached to do the work said this seemed to be a common problem on the Boxster and they were seeing more and more cars needing this work

9 hours ago, ooid said:

It is usually the driver side though. I think they were putting foam there, for sound absorbing and usually the driver's side intake gets very hot! Over time, there is usually moisture in that area and with a small crack the rust gets in...Considering your car 20 years old, not bad with that age.

My logic of thinking was that there was probably sponge both sides and it was due to puddles etc on the nearside splashing up into the vent and being wetter than the offside vent.

The nearside is intake and the offside is an outlet where the hot air from the engine fan blows out. I'm sure that would help keep it drier. 

I have rust bubbles on both sides of my car which I hope to get seen to shortly.

Mine appear to be a little lower down than the Baron's was though, at least an inch or two below the bottom of the intake, still suspect that it is the sound deadening though.

On 8/21/2018 at 10:33 AM, edc said:

The nearside is intake and the offside is an outlet where the hot air from the engine fan blows out. I'm sure that would help keep it drier. 

That would make sense and explain the issues I had with my car, along with puddles splashing up on the nearside and not drying out like the offside.

Archived