Boxster prices abroad.

el 3.2S

Below is a list of all Boxsters for sale in my area on one of the main car websites in Spain. I think it makes UK prices appear very reasonable - certainly at the lower end of the spectrum? I can't take the pictures out of the website to post on their own, but in the second link check out the subtly modified red 1997 2.5 model for 70,000 Euros:lmaosmiley:. Haha only in Marbella.

https://www.milanuncios.com/porsche-boxster-de-segunda-mano-en-malaga/?desde=4000&demanda=n&orden=baratos

https://www.milanuncios.com/porsche-de-segunda-mano/porsche-boxster-277604128.htm

Prices not a worry for me, as I bought my 2000 S at a bargain basement UK price!:)

I have always said that secondhand prices for cars and other consumables are noticeably lower in the UK than a lot (all?) of  other European countries. We just don't seem to value things once the gloss has worn off and also I think one of the biggest drivers of reducing used prices is low cost finance with consumers having the ability to upgrade as soon as they have paid off the loan (or before sometimes).

I first observed this over a decade ago when my in-laws lived in Portugal and they bought a cheap run around. They paid about €2500 for an ancient Fiat Panda that would be a serious contestant for the scrap heap in the UK.

22 minutes ago, Southy said:

lets try this - second car lol - to be fair I have seen worse standard Boxster aftermarket kits

Vea el historial del vehículo

PORSCHE - BOXSTER - - foto 1

I was not able to get the pics like that - thanks! Agree, have seen worse but that is at 718 prices!

6 minutes ago, topradio said:

I have always said that secondhand prices for cars and other consumables are noticeably lower in the UK than a lot (all?) of  other European countries. We just don't seem to value things once the gloss has worn off and also I think one of the biggest drivers of reducing used prices is low cost finance with consumers having the ability to upgrade as soon as they have paid off the loan (or before sometimes).

I first observed this over a decade ago when my in-laws lived in Portugal and they bought a cheap run around. They paid about €2500 for an ancient Fiat Panda that would be a serious contestant for the scrap heap in the UK.

Plenty of these types of cars round here too!  They make new cars seem inexpensive.

New car buying, or registering a used car, in Portugal involves a massive tax payment. That trickles down through used prices. 

Years ago Germany and Belgium were good places to buy cheap cars. I think the change in exchange rate in early 2000s skewed that (£ was €1.50, dropped to €1.15 over a few months and never really recovered). 

Many European countries have very high car taxes. 

Basic EU law is that a car should be registered to that country if it is there for more than 6 months - and that's where they'll ask for a tax payment of the value of the car or even higher.

Several foreigners ignore that, but recently around our international schools the cops have hung out to stop regular offenders and have literally confiscated their cars (apparently).

Here in the emerald isle there is a 27% tax on a vehicle imported from the UK - so currency fluctuations and Vehicle Registration Tax ( VRT )  add circa 33% to the base cost ....................

We also enjoy ludicrous insurance premiums and massive road tax  :unsure:

KT

2 hours ago, Southy said:

Any problems selling rhd cars?. May be worth a drive out :)

If you live in Spain you can import a car and get it matriculated onto Spanish plates, as long as it is a model which they have sold there (or else it gets even more complicated). There is a formula based on age of car, value when new and CO2 emissions. The authorities produce tables which you look up to find the values. When I took mine in the total cost (including paying someone to do all the paperwork and running around) was about 800E. Fortunately I paid a RHD price £5200 for a LHD car, which makes the total cost of mine quite reasonable compared to local values.

The other crazy thing which affects car sales is the high cost to change owner. The ML I bought last year cost me 500 Euros to get the name changed over to mine - and this was on a 15 year old car.

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Basic EU law is that a car should be registered to that country if it is there for more than 6 months - and that's where they'll ask for a tax payment of the value of the car or even higher.

Several foreigners ignore that, but recently around our international schools the cops have hung out to stop regular offenders and have literally confiscated their cars (apparently).

The police had a big purge here a few years ago and similar stories were circulating.  I think they saw it as a way to get some quick cash! It seems to have worked though, as the number of foreign plated cars has gone down a lot lately - although it is offset somewhat, as many foreigners have also moved back to where they came from.

Porsche site has the prices, Just change the country in the address bar to compare.

Portugal has the base 718 at 67k euros, and the S at 83k. 

Spain, 61.5 and 75.

Germany, 55 and 67.

France, 57 and 70.

UK site has them at 45k pounds and 54k, respectively.

I'd like to see Sweden, Denmark, Malta, but that route doesn't show it.

As above, these high prices trickle down through s/h prices, and import taxes stop the market being diluted.

Well, there are exceptions - base Boxster in Denmark is 980 000kr, which xe.com says is currently 131 000 euro; and Norway, don't you have connections there? put it at 785 000 kr which is apparently 81 000 euro :money:

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Well, there are exceptions - base Boxster in Denmark is 980 000kr, which xe.com says is currently 131 000 euro; and Norway, don't you have connections there? put it at 785 000 kr which is apparently 81 000 euro :money:

Yes, true. Current weak NOK making Norway a bit cheaper. I am forever connected with Norway due to work (amongst orher things) and am here now.

6 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Porsche site has the prices, Just change the country in the address bar to compare.

Portugal has the base 718 at 67k euros, and the S at 83k. 

Spain, 61.5 and 75.

Germany, 55 and 67.

France, 57 and 70.

UK site has them at 45k pounds and 54k, respectively.

I'd like to see Sweden, Denmark, Malta, but that route doesn't show it.

As above, these high prices trickle down through s/h prices, and import taxes stop the market being diluted.

That's amazing, so the UK is by far the cheapest place to buy a 718 in Europe based on your research.

21 hours ago, KT986 said:

Here in the emerald isle there is a 27% tax on a vehicle imported from the UK - so currency fluctuations and Vehicle Registration Tax ( VRT )  add circa 33% to the base cost ....................

We also enjoy ludicrous insurance premiums and massive road tax  :unsure:

KT

Exactly why I live in Galway but run my Boxster in Manchester when I am working here. Where are you located?

On 9/3/2018 at 4:25 PM, topradio said:

From what I've seen and heard, a government can choose one of two policy directions (doubtless various middle ways are possible). It might choose to get as much tax money as possible from new car buyers, considered a relatively inelastic demand so a safe bet; see Portugal, Denmark.  Or it might want to stimulate demand for domestic car production to support industry by lowering new prices and/or by putting rigourous requirements on used cars - safety, pollution etc - that encourages people to constantly buy new(er) ones. A German friend in the mid-80s told me cars there more than three years old were worth peanuts as they couldn't pass the stringent checks. At the introduction of NCAP in the early 90s this also would have contributed to the lowering death rate on the roads as the rigid steering columns and non-crumple zones were gradually removed from the roads, and that's visible in the road safety statistics. More recently we know that was done around 2008-10 to stimulate the EU car industry during the recession, with the scrappage scheme. Whichever policy route is taken will affect used car prices accordingly.  You may well be right about the finance thing but I'm not sure the UK is different there to many other countries.

Just imported a morris minor back into the UK from Portugal and the DVLA never charged me a penny.

The car obviously started life in the UK in 66 but was then registered in Portugal.

Not sure it would be the same the other way round.

we dont realise how lucky we are in the UK without the paperwork they love abroad.

Archived