981 Spyder Daily Driver ?

GTB981

I currently have a 981 GTS which I`ve owned for 18 months. Looking to change soon and considering the options. One is to order a new 718 GTS. Benefits of that are it would be to my exact spec and new but I`m not a great fan of the sound (have tested a 718S before I got this car). I don`t aspire to the 911 badge and don`t need 4 seats and as a convertible don`t like its hump.

So I am now considering a 981 Spyder. My dilemna with this is would it work as a daily driver ? The roof is I believe thinner and not insulated and I would imagine the suspension to be firmer and a lower ride ? I use the GTS all year round and set off for work at 6am. Concerned that a Spyder is more of a track day car than a daily driver.

The other option is to deck the GTS out with DB Carbon and upgrade the stereo and keep it. Problem is I`ll still have itchy feet.

Anyone got experience of a Spyder on a daily basis ?

Thanks for input.

Hi

I had a 981 Spyder for 22 months, and loved every minute of it! However it was a weekend car, my daily driver was, and still is, a Macan.

If it were me for a daily driver I'd either keep your current car or buy a 718 GTS.

The Spyder is as you've suggested; much more noisy with the roof up ( which takes time, stationary,  to put up and take down), the ride is very firm and as there is less insulation so you have more 'mechanical' noise inside the car. I took the Spyder on two trips to Europe and, after a hard days driving, both my wife and I were more tired than our previous experiences with our 981S.

Hope this helps!

Two downsides for daily'ing a Spyder, one is the manual box, but that depends on your drive to work.  The second is depreciation, if the miles get too high the premium you paid to own it will be lost - you just don't see many high mileage Spyders about. 

I daily a Golf R alongside my 981 and it works very well.  

4 hours ago, Carmand said:

I would say its as practical as any other Boxster (I've had two of those in the past) - tricky to access the rear boot with the hood up, but there is the frunk.  A little noisier inside , but then that's kind of the point, and just as weatherproof - I find the roof easy and quick to put up, but then its predecessor was an S1 Elise!  ...  Oh and it you do use it regularly look for one with a reversing camera - the visibility is nil.

So not quite as practical as any other Boxster then? ;)

9 hours ago, JohnSyn said:

@GTB981 did you come to any conclusion?

Yes John. Now gone off at a tangent but you are only here once and can`t take it with you. There are, after all, no pockets in a shroud.

Last Saturday we went to Portsmouth OPC where they have 3 x 991 GTS. Will be having a test drive in a couple of weeks. They have a very nice silver one with one owner and 1100 miles but it has Carrera S wheels and I prefer the centre locks. They also have a fantastic night blue one. Pass has been stamped but waiting on another project to progress first hence the slight delay. Alternatively see what the new 992 is like and place an order November.

You did ask........

11 minutes ago, GTB981 said:

Yes John. Now gone off at a tangent but you are only here once and can`t take it with you. There are, after all, no pockets in a shroud.

Last Saturday we went to Portsmouth OPC where they have 3 x 991 GTS. Will be having a test drive in a couple of weeks. They have a very nice silver one with one owner and 1100 miles but it has Carrera S wheels and I prefer the centre locks. They also have a fantastic night blue one. Pass has been stamped but waiting on another project to progress first hence the slight delay. Alternatively see what the new 992 is like and place an order November.

You did ask........

I did...and glad to see you are still on the case!

I totally agree about only being here once. I've had my 991.2C4 GTS for 16 months and love it!

Archived