Carbon inner side sills

Ale_72

So…

here I am.

Trying to review the inner side sills from Carbonlution.

First of all a quick note on the company and their customer service. Five stars. Really. Sam was really helpful and following me up on each step and supporting me and making sure that everything could work on the limited timeframe I had. I could not recommend them enough. Stunning. Now after the purchase they disappeared, but maybe he is in vacation. Nevertheless, no complain about the process and people. Again, rate 10/10!

Let’s move to the product.

Just to make it clear for all the people that, like me, did not know it, this is not a full carbon fibre piece. It’s a standard, normal (original, and this is important) inner side sill from Porsche, that has been covered by a layer of carbon fibre and then lacquered.

The carbon fibre weave is really nice BUT:

1. it’s definitely much more yellowish that the stock one (or at least than the one that I have on my bucket seats)

2. the pattern is different from the stock one

1sidebyside.jpg

side.jpg

side2.jpg

side3.jpg

The layer is well positioned (no weird conjunction points or weave lacks etc) BUT

1.it does not follow the curves of the boot and bonnet commands or the umbrella pocket on the driver side. Let be frank, I now checked other carbon fibre (and more expensive) manufacturers and it seems to me that everybody follow this approach.

2. the lacquering is glossy while the rest of stock carbon parts (seats and roof crossbar is between matte) is satin.

horizontal.jpg

2detailcarbonstraight.jpg

Installation is really straightforward (look any youtube video).

In summary:

Would I buy them again? Maybe. My OCD makes me struggle with this not 100% stock solution but I think that for 90% of the people this would simply look amazing. If I should rate it, I’d give it a 7.5/10.

I think I could consider buying from them, with a proper price, the front and side vents surrounds (if they answer to my email :-))

light.jpg

light2.jpg

shadow.jpg

Thanks for the review

The weave colour/finish is not something I would have considered being an issue, but as you say it's not a prefect match, but still great.

Dare I ask the price?

I had them delivered in US (since I had a friend there for some meetings).

I paid, including shipping, 530 USD (if I recall right, double check on their website).

If you want to check other manufacturers, I recall maccarbon as brand.

I think they look great ? 

Matching aftermarket carbon and factory has always been a problem, I had similar with my 986 dash. The weave is always slightly different but I never had any colour issues.

I think MA Carbon are one of the best aftermarket carbon suppliers but I doubt even theirs would match perfectly side by side with oem ?

Your sills have not been made with the same weave pattern - they will never match the seats. Seats are "twill" sills are "plain"

I had OEM and aftermarket carbon on my old 986 and it all matched perfectly.

Sorry but you have scored down a product for you lack of attention to detail prior to purchase.

5 minutes ago, Patt said:

lack of attention to detail prior to purchase.

Yes, probably. But the pics in the website for sure were not showing the yellowish tint (that is the thing that I notice more) and annoys me more.

• 1 month later...

As expected...

Despite the supernice support of Sam from Carbonlution, I decided to get rid of those and go for old good leather. I really could not stand the yellowish tone.

IMG-4841.jpg

IMG-4845.jpg

I will never stop. But if she learned not to destroy the leather sills in the other car (with much much less space), I have good hopes for this one as well.

Archived