Wet carpet under drivers seat (RHD UK car)

dim33

I just noticed after driving in the rain for 2 days that the carpet if wet under the driver's seat. Fortunately it's not the side where the electronics are stored which is dry.

I part opened the hood and the drain hole does not appear blocked but on sticking my little finger down the hole I can feel loads of crud.

I'm guessing this is the culprit and will get a coat hanger tomorrow and try and clean it out.

Is there anything else I need to check whilst I'm at it?

Edited by dim33

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

Not sure you should use a coat hanger, at least in some places there are membranes or plastic involved that you could puncture and make things worse. 

I think you're probably right. I found a diagram of the drain pipes and they are curved.

I will try some compressed air and also some electrical cable which will follow the bends of the drain pipe.

I did read elsewhere that the same problem can be caused by a faulty door membrane. I did recently have the electric window mechanism repaired, However apparently in these cases the door carpet is also wet, which mine doesn't seem to be. I will try and check this too.

I have heard of people using the “wire”’from net curtains or string from an strimmer. 

If you can find the bottoms of the drains try going up from there might be easier to push crud back up the pipe. 

2 hours ago, map said:

Following a recommendation on this forum I got hold of one of these  >> Amazon Link << - it's a Trombone Brush and works really well.  

Having dodged a bullet with blocked drains early last year I use it during the Autumn/Winter to make sure they're clear - it's a zero fuss job with this.

I use the same.  Quick and easy to do. 

2 hours ago, map said:

Following a recommendation on this forum I got hold of one of these  >> Amazon Link << - it's a Trombone Brush and works really well.  

Having dodged a bullet with blocked drains early last year I use it during the Autumn/Winter to make sure they're clear - it's a zero fuss job with this.

Trombone brush ordered! It looks perfect for the job. Thanks.

Am really hoping it's nothing to do with the recent window regulator repair. I've read that the membrane not being properly reattached can also cause a wet carpet. The door pocket and carpet are both dry though.

I think with the door, the test is to take the door card off, then pour a jug of water over the window gap from the outside and watch what happens on the inside.

Someone who's done it should confirm before you try though, I'm not sure if "take the door card off" is somehow not as simple as it sounds...

Even if you find your drain holes are blocked, no harm in testing the door membrane as well for peace of mind. (Or piece of mind, if you need to go back and shout at an incompetent worker.)

3 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

I think with the door, the test is to take the door card off, then pour a jug of water over the window gap from the outside and watch what happens on the inside.

I just spent some time trying to see where the problem is. Removing the door card is not so hard. I got the indy to show me how when I had the regulator changed. But since the problem is on the right/non critical side I poured a watering can onto the window as you suggested and had a good feel of the bottom of the door carpet for dampness but nothing. Even yesterday when the carpet behind the seat was soaked through the door carpet was bone dry.

The driver's side clam shell drainage hole however is certainly quite blocked. Pouring a glass of water into the drip tray confirmed that the hole is partially blocked. The water drained away very slowly and in my collection bowl underneath the water just dripped out. By contrast the left hole cleared the water quickly and came out under the car as quickly as I poured it in.

I'm now waiting for my trombone brush to arrive from Amazon.

Edited by dim33

Job done! The brush linked to my map above is perfect and really I'd say a must have. It is shear luck that it was the right side that got blocked and not the left. From now on I will check the holes regularly.

There was a stone wrapped in crud that was blocking the drain hole but it was a couple of inches in and not visible when inspecting the hole from above. Up until now I have only checked that the holes themselves we not obstructed. Lesson learned.

Attached are some pics of the brush against the car to show the size.

Whereas the water was dribbling out at the bottom now it's Niagara Falls.

Brush2.jpg

Brush1.jpg

Edited by dim33

4 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Did you go in from the top or the bottom? - I assume the brush is long enough to go all the way but probably easier to push crud back up the pipe rather than all the way down 

Top to bottom. Didn't occur to me to go the other way.

Yes the pipe came out at the bottom with length to spare. You can see from the pic above that the brush is pretty much the width of the boot near the hood.

Edited by dim33

I’ve found the exact same issue. Went to Wales and the carpet on the drivers side on the floor behind the seat was soaked. Took days to dry. Cleaned the drainage holes but no obvious blockage. Drove in the rain again recently and there’s still some moisture getting in. Almost like condensation and only noticeable under the carpet but doesn’t appear passenger side. Doesn’t seem to happen if it’s just parked though. Did your thourough clean stop the problem? I’ll have another go tomorrow at the drainage holes tomorrow in case I missed one.

55 minutes ago, domb84 said:

I’ve found the exact same issue. Went to Wales and the carpet on the drivers side on the floor behind the seat was soaked. Took days to dry. Cleaned the drainage holes but no obvious blockage. Drove in the rain again recently and there’s still some moisture getting in. Almost like condensation and only noticeable under the carpet but doesn’t appear passenger side. Doesn’t seem to happen if it’s just parked though. Did your thourough clean stop the problem? I’ll have another go tomorrow at the drainage holes tomorrow in case I missed one.

I don't know if it's been successful yet as I only did it this morning and the car has not been out of the garage. Mine did have an obvious blockage though.

I placed a load of absorbent paper under the carpet and stood on it to help get the water out. I've left it with the windows open for the last 2 days and also wedged the carpet up so that it can breath underneath. It is now almost dry.

Check to see if the drip tray itself is torn, cracked or punctured in some way. If it is water will get through even if the holes are not blocked.

Also feel the very bottom of the door carpet to see if it's damp. If it is you have an issue with the door membrane seal.

Edited by dim33

41 minutes ago, domb84 said:

Did the same thing to dry it out. I’ll see if I can find the drip tray you mentioned and have another go at the drainage pipes. Not noticed any dampness on door carpet. It’s pretty frustrating! 

The drip tray is the rubber/plastic that surrounds the drain hole. It's made of a single piece or material and should not have any tears. For example it can be torn if one of the roof struts becomes detached when operating the roof.

Those are both fine that I can see. Rodded all 8 drain holes again. All seem to drain ok. No wet on door carpet that I can see. It might even just be left over condensation from when it was soaked a couple of weeks back. That yellow sponge under the carpet holds moisture like nothing else! Will get the hair dryer out later and make sure it’s fully dried out and see how things go. 

@domb84  have you checked around the bottom of the drivers door for dampness, sometimes the internal seals go and the water ends up draining to the inside under the seat,  others here will be more knowledgable than I. Tends to occur more when driven rather than standing I believe.

1 minute ago, domb84 said:

I certainly have. I popped the passenger door card off to change a speaker so it’s not too hard, maybe I’ll do the same with the drivers the weekend, but as I’ve said above there’s no wet on the door carpet.

Ah yes sorry,  just a quick thought, had not read the whole thread carefully, good luck ?