P-zeros

Spinjim

Had my 981 a couple of months and I did notice the tyres Pzeroz are a bit old and only 3mm of tread, ( bit miffed as it came from an OPC and they were just 4mm) 

This morning I braked not overly hard and the ABS kicked in, are these tyres gone or is the 981 ABS easy to activate 

Jim

1 hour ago, Spinjim said:

Had my 981 a couple of months and I did notice the tyres Pzeroz are a bit old and only 3mm of tread, ( bit miffed as it came from an OPC and they were just 4mm) 

This morning I braked not overly hard and the ABS kicked in, are these tyres gone or is the 981 ABS easy to activate 

Jim

What year of manufacture are the tyres?

Some people don’t like the Pzeros, I think they are fine, but one thing in particular that some complain about is grip in cold and damp conditions.  My front Pzeros (N0) have about 3mm tread left but I haven’t noticed any particular issues, but I have got some age related cracking which is something frequently reported. mine are 4 years old with 21k miles.

Maybe that bit of tarmac was particularly greasy?  Unless you find this is a frequent problem then I wouldn’t worry too much.

This morning here we had a light frost and the temp gauge in the car showed 3.5 degrees so if it was similar where you are then yes summer tyres don't work as well under 7 degrees so making the abs kick in is a lot easier than on a hot summer's day.

11 hours ago, RBD914 v2 said:

This is what I did and got two new tyres out of them.

Good result?. I dropped my P zeros for Michelin, would never change, great in the wet, unbelievable on a warm dry road and don't give up do easily in the cold.

After 16yrs. of Boxster ownership and only had P Zeros on my cars I cant recall having any problems. Not having any experience of Michelin or any other make I cant say that the P Zeros are any better or worse.

Also had Pzeros on a few cars and have to report I think they are overrated, lateral grip in the ''slightly'' damp or at lower temps is questionable...I now fit exclusively either Nexen N fera Su, Toyo T1r, Kumho KU39 or Goodyear eagle F1

it all depends on whether i'm changing all or just one axle and whether I'm brand or tread matching , whether it be the front or rear axle, the car FWD or RWD and whether current tyres are directional.

I wouldn't fit PZero's again with so much better available at the same price point.

I have done a lot of miles on Eagle F1s and MPS4 in various cars.  My feeling is the Pirelli’s are a harder compound but the tyre walls are also not as stiff. This means wet grip isn’t as good as say Michelin’s, and dry grip isn’t as good as Eagle F1s either. It’s a weird combination IMHO, and I won’t be putting them on again when they wear out.

You quite probably have OEM P Zero NO's that are known to go very hard, brittle and crack - I had these on my car from the OPC and with a brief conversation with both the OPC and Pirelli I had 4 new P Zero N1's that so far have been just fine and significantly better then the N0's.

Michelin Pilot Sports a more grippy option too and seem generally preferred, but check the size compatibility for 20" GTS wheels.

Drop me a PM if you want the contact details for Pirelli who will probably come and check them out for you.

Archived