Oops, I've had a little accident

Darkstar

When putting the roof up I did not notice the catch was in the wrong position and its knocked the catch plate with the courtesy light off.

GocC90k.jpg

I have the two screws but the thread in the hole you can see seams to have been striped out. Maybe I can get some kind of plastic insert.

Any ideas.

Think about getting a Smart top in the future. I've done this before but the smart top just stops the operation. 

1 minute ago, the baron said:

Re tap with a tapping tool, easy fix as stated above.

They can't be retapped unfortunately, you need a better picture to understand. Take a disk of metal and punch a hole through it to create four petals and put a thread in the petals. My problem is one of the petals is now missing.

Anyway I forced part of a raw plug in after checking I could run the bolt in to the raw plug. Other side still had some grip so left it alone. Plate is not securely back in place.

If you can get to the other side, a nut with the same thread and hole size will work. You just need to break off the other three tabs (or bend them down out of the way away from the hole) and as suggested above, Araldite the nut on there. The adhesive just has to stop the nut from turning; the pressure across the plate once everything is done up will do the job of holding everything in place.

This is a fairly crucial brace that needs to be secure due to the high g forces exerted on this area at high speed.

i would try and get it sorted with a whole new piece rather than trying to alternatives

3 hours ago, Darkstar said:

They can't be retapped unfortunately, you need a better picture to understand. Take a disk of metal and punch a hole through it to create four petals and put a thread in the petals. My problem is one of the petals is now missing.

Anyway I forced part of a raw plug in after checking I could run the bolt in to the raw plug. Other side still had some grip so left it alone. Plate is not securely back in place.

Seems sensible - if you say there were four plastic petals and now one has snapped, that to me suggests they were not designed to take major force in the first place. I could imagine that gluing a rawlplug into the three remaining, and using a narrower shank bolt / self-tapper that fits in the hole in the rawlplug, should be enough?

• 6 months later...

Update - So the other fixing finally failed and the catch plate was dangling from the roof again. It also showed me the raw plug was not working that great as once the torque of putting the screw it gets high enough the raw plug just spins. Easily fixed just screwed the bolt in to the raw plug a few threads and pull and out it popped.

So down the pub yesterday for a free bar and I got talking and the suggestion of a plastic rivet was offered along with a few samples. They are perfect and pushed in nice and snug and I replaced the plastic bolt with a 25mm M6 and hay presto my catch plate is nice and secure.

I had phoned Lee at CPS and booked the car in for them to have a look but will have to phone to let him know I have fixed it for now. I do still want to go back to see Lee as I need some work done but really need to delay as I don't have the cash right now.

The 986 has captive nuts that are made out of monkey metal and they crack even without any extra strain. The problem is that you can't get to the other side so I have replaced all mine with nut inserts like these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4X-Carbon-Steel-Rivet-Nut-Insert-Nutsert-M4-M5-M6-M8-M10-120-Pieces-V2C4/283488759049?hash=item42013f2d09:g:DoIAAOSwr6Rc4ABD

In theory you will need a tool to fit them but you can improvise with a long bolt and a spacer to pull them up tight. They are a much better solution than the one Porsche decided to employ.

I managed to break the brass nuts on my old Boxster and used rivnuts as above - it worked great (I bought a rivnut tool which has proven very handy since). Fishing the broken bits of nut out was a pain however.

14 hours ago, topradio said:

The 986 has captive nuts that are made out of monkey metal and they crack even without any extra strain. The problem is that you can't get to the other side so I have replaced all mine with nut inserts like these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4X-Carbon-Steel-Rivet-Nut-Insert-Nutsert-M4-M5-M6-M8-M10-120-Pieces-V2C4/283488759049?hash=item42013f2d09:g:DoIAAOSwr6Rc4ABD

In theory you will need a tool to fit them but you can improvise with a long bolt and a spacer to pull them up tight. They are a much better solution than the one Porsche decided to employ.

They look great. If I have any further problems with my plastic rivets I will change to those but for now I will leave alone and see if they last.

£13.88 for the fitting tool and 86 of different rivet nuts looks a very reasonable price as well from ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/86Pcs-Threaded-Nut-Rivet-Gun-M3-M8-Insert-Tool-Riveter-Rivnut-Nutsert-Riveting/312594235278?hash=item48c8117f8e&enc=AQADAAADAFjVrDbVsZ8oH%2F8PNHtt9VX4%2Fw7FZcmMuqsX8uaFEduVNHYoWfgtfnnBLY0Rz4dY%2FrMHUZeA7WMUf8fvpWJRx0PiYRtJHtnhjuAFojj0DjQUo%2FEGFeUurjIGziBywYCbexUQcY9c%2BnruTUMeu0ExMjkjvbdTJsX9g408F%2BAH4uNL1MbHMIzWoOxOnST2WaNz%2BlPS0ixhnZBi0y7oBQEUPHFKQOVKpjxzL3XRtrft9R9MKUVW%2FvCxYsaZ1fx7%2FKEb0dWyK2UHtM5BLg82sR36LOk1R41psoCOrmI%2Bxoy9fkrQKrkDrUTuIc5kN1KZ6iKOpQtFPEJXHjhISkB0DhLKvxok9YPicfbc9oTyvl6sSxfs%2F%2F1LypaC028TONBqtdOfDS3yA6BhOQ0ZduiFH1QgK3%2FT%2B8axflpQq3XewlmY9H0rjI6NdRiVSar%2Fm3hRIvurASyAuhkQHXdixP%2F0oaQfSx%2F0tIzngbYVlG3JVCryoizs36rS4xtMhxw1Z4JLiWrzSg0acjbA6aDKnYnzFOu%2BjztzFxpWaPnNZPgonIHBtk%2FJ4fhz5v1XWLuJUe5w%2BZcBDXxX6AkGmdraqQYVOcNKZG8LEEL6WsVPNze9MyvYF977npX5%2FANcBGvZ6aPSqQO8zNPFZo9vIccEgPHGMrU1%2FumYg58PPXJ8nArtS2Z4uS9BDeGBq01KKbNVvRQhd0Cnxx4gwnZdSsjgbDPFcBxDDMdkx8%2FIAR99bH5TNADn8uJgrtEdBpMoC81W4KvUM%2F8lqPZ3Vn1B7uJ3gO3QEwD3h%2Fv%2BUnFdlFbGYk%2Ff5oCVjtlZMuV4Uv2AssPQelnQipOt0Vcw%2Fz0TEGYPMJL4d%2BZPK87FiYEkrWMNhHy4ResUjHKNyLR4PICRTt%2FApdPdJYzBa34Hg6je878GX6LHWRMZXLKU8EX2xThuy6cwHIA3hKUdlgXti4TwrDrM581kQs%2FEWgu2Xf7v3evFkW1WT5uiXvogfEorveHiARaBfi9AT0QQ1P%2BfEPY1Tc0OHuP7Eb2vKA%3D%3D&checksum=31259423527876017fe5c55d4a578e57791b93e2f419

Archived