PASM or not

alank

Sport and Sports Plus do two different things and IIRC you have to put Sports Plus on in a car which has both for it to put PASM and PSE in sports mode (wheras a car with no SPorts Lpus they both work on the Sport button alone)

I wouldn't have one without. The 981S with 20" wheels and PASM rides incredibly well. I'm so impressed with it, especially when I get into my BMW Z4M afterwards which has such a horrible hard ride! 

Yes to be clear.

‘Sport+‘ comes as part of The Sport Chrono package

PASM is stand alone and indicated by a picture of a shock absorber 

When you activate  Sport+ It activates PASM and PSE if installed, however both can then be turned off independently whilst leaving Sport+ on. You can in fact activate any combination of these three you like. 

‘Sport’ mode is standard. You can active either ‘Sport’ or ‘Sport+’ not both at once.

• 1 month later...

My wife and test drove 981S cars with and without PASM. Both on 20 inch wheels.

We could both tell the difference and were much happier with the general ride of the PASM car in "standard" mode.

It is more compliant and easier / more comfortable compared to the standard suspension.

PASM became a "must have" option for us and our "new" 981S has it.

We leave it in standard mode.

Mark

I’ve owned a non PASM and PASM 981 boxster and now the GT4 has PASM also. I’d always want PASM in future.

On the boxster pasm made the standard more comfortable and on sports mode more firm compared to the non PASM car. For me it transformed the usability of the car for commuting. 

On the GT4 the PASM set up is very firm to begin with and even on track I’ve not found the need to firm the suspension up. Although Porsche state that standard setting is for Nurburgring and sports for everywhere else. 

I took my car for a spirited drive the other day around the Purbecks. They're pretty bumpy roads in some areas. On sport chassis mode it was too firm and I broke traction a couple of times over some of the bumps. But on normal mode it was amazing. It absorbed all the bumps in the road and never once felt like it was breaking traction. It really is an amazing system. But I think Sport Chassis is best suited to smooth roads. 

PASM is clever and if you try back to back you can definitely tell the difference. It's worth thinking about damper replacement due to age on these cars now. Some people might wait till they fail an MOT - I wouldn't. Surely a shock is well passed it's best after 5 or 7 years and 30 plus thousand miles. I think the PASM shocks can be refurbed but not sure. Otherwise replacing them will be expensive and you have very few options other than just standard. 

Everything about a car is a compromise and the debate will run on about comfort or feel. The aftermarket is rife with damper options for Porsche cars and some people like Nitron or Ohlins or KW. If you want to go this way then you have to ditch the PASM. The 981 Spyder comes with the X73 setup and not many people drive that and say it's awful and hard do they?

Everyone seems to want 20 inch wheels now on their 981. I thought I'd chime in here as I've driven my 981 which has no PASM with 20, 19 and 18 inch wheels. I prefer the feel of the 19 for pottering around and with the 18 you can drive into curbs without a care in the world safe in the knowledge that there is no way the rim will get grazed. Also with standard ride height you can drive up and down curbs too without worrying about ripping bumpers off.

I didn't go looking for PASM or not. I just bought a car I liked and it didn't have PASM. We might think the slightly lower car looks better and I will agree to that but the average Joe just sees a Porsche. 

So it's very personal. It's easy to get carried away with options and toys. My car has heated seats and steering wheel and in the winter if you want to get the roof down you really need the heated wheel unless you're wearing skiing gloves. I'm talking at 4 or 5 degrees C when you can get brain freeze over 70mph.

Has that helped anyone - probably not!

Archived