PASM or not

alank

It's tough to get a car with everything you want so you have to weigh it all up. 

What I can tell you is that PASM is good because the car rides better in normal mode and it you can stiffen it up if required.  Another bonus is that the ride height drops 10mm which I feel makes the car looks a bit better. 

A car without it isn't bad though as it's still a great set up.   However, if the car has 20s and you will use the car daily it's probably worth waiting for.

I have PASM and I think it’s very good, the ride is superb for a sports car with 20” wheels and low profile tyres.  However many do not have it and are still happy with the ride and handling, so it’s impossible to say where your opinion will fall. Really you need to try a 981 without and see what you think, the chassis is very good and even without the ride may be better than many similar cars.

11 hours ago, alank said:

Hi , looking at a 981 without  PASM. Should I buy it or not. What are owners thoughts. Thanks

Specifically looked for a 981S without PASM in order to add the X73 sports suspension. The car is now 20 mm lower and in my opinion, handles as it should and looks so much better. I also run 20" wheels shod with Michelin not Pirelli.

6 hours ago, mneil said:

Specifically looked for a 981S without PASM in order to add the X73 sports suspension. The car is now 20 mm lower and in my opinion, handles as it should and looks so much better. I also run 20" wheels shod with Michelin not Pirelli.

Try this X73 option before you buy it though! I agree the lower stance looks great but I found  the ride too stiff on the bumpy roads where I drive, which conversely made the handling worse!

I don't have PASM, but 20" wheels and the ride is fine. I took it around the Porsche experience track and it handled great. Mind you, I don't drive line that normally! 

Same here, non PASM with 20’s and I find the ride is fine, certainly pretty good for a sports car. Not had the benefit of comparing one with it though, so can only give you a one sided view

I've had both a PASM and standard 981 Boxster,  both on 20" alloys, very little difference truth be told. I never touch the PASM switch in my current car!

As said earlier however, the X73 lowered sports suspension option is a completely different kettle of fish...

On 11/16/2018 at 6:40 PM, RBD914 v2 said:

I never touch the PASM switch in my current car!

For those that don’t know, PASM when fitted is used all the time, the switch just moves between a Sport and a comfort setting, both settings are adaptive and a vigorously driven car in comfort is likely to be in a harder setting than someone tootling in Sport.

Im suprised your GTS didn’t have  PASM Rob, I thought that was one of the packaged options for the GTS?

My own Experiance is that I do engage Sport mode when driving accordingly in the dry as I find it seems to sharpen up the back end feel a bit, but I only really feel the different when pushing a bit.

On 11/16/2018 at 6:28 PM, Forest said:

Same here, non PASM with 20’s and I find the ride is fine, certainly pretty good for a sports car. Not had the benefit of comparing one with it though, so can only give you a one sided view

+1

39 minutes ago, Greenman said:

For those that don’t know, PASM when fitted is used all the time, the switch just moves between a Sport and a comfort setting, both settings are adaptive and a vigorously driven car in comfort is likely to be in a harder setting than someone tootling in Sport.

Im suprised your GTS didn’t have  PASM Rob, I thought that was one of the packaged options for the GTS?

My own Experiance is that I do engage Sport mode when driving accordingly in the dry as I find it seems to sharpen up the back end feel a bit, but I only really feel the different when pushing a bit.

Yes the GTS had it and so does my current S.

I was just saying that I very rarely push the button though!

Another vote for PASM.  Have it on mine with 20" alloys. I find the ride very compliant. 

I very rarely press the button but as already mentioned, that doesn't mean I'm not using it! ☺️ I will use sport if the roads smooth but I find  the default setting is best for most roads I'm on. 

I've had a PASM car and if you look into the detail it's pretty clever. Under braking for example it will push back to stop the front end diving and reduce braking distance in normal mode. 

It can also stiffen up the 2 outside wheels under hard cornering to prevent body roll, its a sophisticated system with quite a few benefits even if you hardly ever select sport mode 

On 11/16/2018 at 10:20 AM, Higgy said:

Totally agree

+16

had a 987 on 10's and it was harsher thant the 981 on 20's (both without PASM) and mines a daily driver.

If it had it on the car i'd say it was a nice bonus..

here's PASM and how it works between 'on and off' (although as has been said its never off, always adapting just in two different modes)

pasm-porsche.jpg

excuse my ignorance, but is this the 'sport plus' button?

33 minutes ago, smartin said:

Think Sports Plus button comes with Sport Chrono Pack.

PASM is a computer controlled adjustable suspension option and has an button on the centre console to activate a stiffer suspension setting.

Ahh that's the spring button isn't it.

Archived