Short trip mpg.

PaulQ

Does anyone use their 987 predominantly for short trips (under 5 miles) and what sort of mpg are you getting? 

My reason for asking is i'm getting around 13 mpg at the moment in my 2.5 986 and was wondering if the bigger engined cars are any worse in this regard, as I'm possibly considering an early 2.7 sometime next year. 

Yes I know I should find an alternative method for getting to and from work, but I like sitting in my Porsch at break times : ) 

6 minutes ago, brickwall said:

That sounds pretty bad.

Yeah, it's not good. Computer says between 13 and 15, and I've done a couple of calculated fills, though not brimmed the tank which come out the same. 

MPG is fine on a longer run, so I'm pretty sure theres nothing actually wrong with the car. 

Just now, PaulQ said:

Yeah, it's not good. Computer says between 13 and 15, and I've done a couple of calculated fills, though not brimmed the tank which come out the same. 

MPG is fine on a longer run, so I'm pretty sure theres nothing actually wrong with the car. 

I've stopped tracking it so religiously, but I think the worst tank I've had was about 16.5 - and that was a whole tank of endless London traffic. Even my old BMW 745i did 13.5mpg round town!

If I was stuck in traffic it might actually be a little better, as at least the car would have a chance to actually warm up a bit more. 

Colder weather probably not helping either as I'm pretty sure it was in the high teens back in the summer. 

9 hours ago, PaulQ said:

My reason for asking is i'm getting around 13 mpg at the moment in my 2.5 986 

That is well below what you should expect, that's track day mpg! Even on short trips (but up to temperature) my car (also a 2.5) will return 25+. Computer currently is at 28+. 

11 hours ago, Boxob said:

That is well below what you should expect, that's track day mpg! Even on short trips (but up to temperature) my car (also a 2.5) will return 25+. Computer currently is at 28+. 

I don't really know what to expect to be honest as it's the first year I have used the car for work. 

Back in the summer I think i was getting around 25mpg but I was doing a lot more 20 to 30 mile trips then, where as now I'm not. 

If I did a decent run and got the car up to temperature, then reset the computer and drove 3 or 4 miles I expect it would show 25+ the same as yours. I guess you don't do any short trips when the cars cold then? 

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

Maybe a sensor (MAF, lambda) has gone and the fuelling is now too rich?  Thought we had that here just a few months ago and I think that was the solution. 

You think so.? Doesn't smell of fuel at all and the emissions was spot on at the recent MOT as it always is. 

1 minute ago, PaulQ said:

I don't really know what to expect to be honest as it's the first year I have used the car for work. 

Back in the summer I think i was getting around 25mpg but I was doing a lot more 20 to 30 mile trips then, where as now I'm not. 

If I did a decent run and got the car up to temperature, then reset the computer and drove 3 or 4 miles I expect it would show 25+ the same as yours. I guess you don't do any short trips when the cars cold then? 

To the golf course and back twice a week - about 8 miles.

When I picked up my 2.7 987 the mpg was at 15 - it very quickly picked up though. A good run (to France and back), I was at about 32mpg, but it normally sits at about 30, a little less (currently 29.6) since things started getting colder. OK, I do more than 4 miles/journey, but...

I assumed the initial 15mpg was the results of very spirited test drives or a track day or similar. I couldn't keep a car regularly doing 13mpg. 

It's my daily driver btw.

16 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

So how do you get the car up to temperature? My trip to work is 4 miles.

By the time I arrive (actually before) it's up to temperature. Bit of traffic en route slows progress but gives time for the engine to warm.

I'd cycle to work if it was only 4 miles! 😋

44 minutes ago, Rob™ said:

I couldn't keep a car regularly doing 13mpg

Chuck in a few longer trips and this figure goes up considerably, so it's  annoying but can live with it. I've only recently noticed this as I don't really monitor the mpg like I used too. 

Taking a slightly longer route could well make all the difference, but that means leaving even earlier, and I struggle to get there for a 7.30 start as it is, but will try.! 

1 hour ago, Rob™ said:

I couldn't keep a car regularly doing 13mpg. 

Nor could I - it's one of the (many) reasons I swapped my 745i for the 987 S. Going from 13mpg even to 18mpg makes a big difference to the fuel bill. A few MPG is a big % of an already big number when the base mpg is so low. 

My commute to work is about 8-9 miles & is a mix of town and semi-rural type roads.I can get between 20 & 28 depending on how hard I try (& the traffic!).

Not preaching cos it’s your car and your choices but there are bigger issues with that kind of average journey. 

Battery charge. It will never be properly changed with such a short run. Also. Oil won’t get up to temp and you will get condensation in the oil and a fair amount of engine wear since most of that occurs in the first 15 mins or so of running. 

Mix in a few longer runs for the sake of the engine and brakes etc getting up to temp. 

That said. 1st 3 or 4 miles of my journey computer tells me approx 20 mph (2.9 987.2) and it picks up from there. 

19 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Not preaching cos it’s your car and your choices but there are bigger issues with that kind of average journey. 

Battery charge. It will never be properly changed with such a short run. Also. Oil won’t get up to temp and you will get condensation in the oil and a fair amount of engine wear since most of that occurs in the first 15 mins or so of running. 

Mix in a few longer runs for the sake of the engine and brakes etc getting up to temp. 

That said. 1st 3 or 4 miles of my journey computer tells me approx 20 mph (2.9 987.2) and it picks up from there. 

The battery is fine as I've got a volt meter plugged into the cigarette lighter socket, so can monitor it. 

The oil gets changed every 6 months to take into account any moisture/fuel dilution, though I don't even get any condensation on the inside of the oil filler cap.

It gets a good run every now and then though, just less frequently this time of year. 

While not ideal usage, I think the engine wear thing is overstated. Any modern car should cope just fine with this type of use. 

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 2:50 PM, brickwall said:

That sounds pretty bad. I have a 3.2S, and MPG tends to be:

Eco driving (50mph average speed checks, etc.): 30-32mpg

Long journey/motorway: 26-28mpg

Mixed driving: 22-24 mpg

Round town: 18-20mpg

I am pretty much getting identical figures to the above with a Boxster S 3.2 also.

I'm retired, so don't travel much in rush hour traffic - but do use my Boxster every day in London. Just to go shopping - but because I enjoy driving it take the long way round. Temp gauge will show normal by about half way on the journey. And something like 15 mpg (UK) is about what I get. This one - a 3.4 PDK - is actually better than my previous 2.7 Tip. Even more so on a long journey due to the higher gearing.

Archived