Exhaust tip stainless covers??

the baron

Nothing wrong with my exhaust on my 1997 2.5 but the tail pipe is discoloured and no amount of rubbing is going to bring back that stainless shine.

Is there cover that can be fitted over the tailpipe to make it look shiny again, it really lets the car down but dont really want to spend out on a new back box when it is in good nick, its purely aesthetic’s.

Thanks

14 minutes ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

I don’t think you can get a cover but if you go to a Powerflow or similar stainless exhaust builder they will cut the old tip off and fit a new one 👍

Sounds like a plan, will find out some prices, thanks for the idea

@the baron

Have you tried drenching it in cola? I've not done it myself or even remember where I heard it, but I thought there was a 3 step process of Coke soak, Soap and water (scrub with a kitchen scourer) and use a metal polish. 

Maybe it was a youtube video. 

1 hour ago, edc said:

Is the 2.5 tip welded on like the pre-facelift S? 

The tip I’ve ordered is held in place by a couple of bolts and just slips over the old one, which I presume is welded in place.

4 hours ago, EXY said:

Aren't they usually Stainless Steel that has been Chrome plated, that's why they are Soooo Shiney ;)

So over rubbing your tip could have some consequences.

As in, it will become shiny again?

5 hours ago, the baron said:

As in, it will become shiny again?

I suspect if that were true they wouldn't Chrome plate them, so if you remove the Chrome layer you will struggle to get the S/S to match the original shineyness.

Although again IIRC they are TRIPLE Chrome plated, but over rubbing could still have consequences and some of the cleaning descriptions make you wince.

2 hours ago, EXY said:

I suspect if that were true they wouldn't Chrome plate them, so if you remove the Chrome layer you will struggle to get the S/S to match the original shineyness.

Although again IIRC they are TRIPLE Chrome plated, but over rubbing could still have consequences and some of the cleaning descriptions make you wince.

That’s what I thought, I’ve ordered the exhaust tip so looking forward to having a nice shiny end.....

Have you tried autosol, that usually cleans up discolouration very well.  Are they tips not bolted on looking at mine the other day it looks like it has a 8 or 10mm bolt holding it on.

53 minutes ago, Dooge said:

Have you tried autosol, that usually cleans up discolouration very well.  Are they tips not bolted on looking at mine the other day it looks like it has a 8 or 10mm bolt holding it on.

Early cars = welded on, facelift cars = bolted 

Archived