What does it mean?

Freeman

I am sure that they know. They are busy now after the holidays and also the place is upside down due to refurbishment, so I am sure that they will appreciate 1 less tel. call from me.

Busy or not, you are the customer and they should be willing to explain a comment on their report. Red implies danger and urgent action required, unless of course they are referring to the colour of the calipers! 😂

Hi, had a recent health check at my local Indy. Report is RED requires urgent attention, AMBER advisory and GREEN visually OK. Is the garage using this system. A red on my health check was wheel  centre caps different colour to colour of wheels along with all  cross pipes corroded. 🤔

Have you done the obvious and looked at the front calipers to see if the backing plate of the pad is indeed red? You should be able to see it through the wheel spokes. 

When I saw it I was completely confused.

The calipers are red but they won't mean this. There is a comment that new pads were fitted on old disks so I don't think that the red comment is "the pads are worn", also the car stops as I would expect. In any case the car is booked for more TLC and MOT.

Will check the pads during day light tomorrow.

Thank you all.

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 6:55 PM, edc said:

Have you done the obvious and looked at the front calipers to see if the backing plate of the pad is indeed red? You should be able to see it through the wheel spokes. 

Checked today and as you said the backing plate is painted red and so are the sides. Is there any significance to it? On Friday I have emailed the shop but still awaiting a reply.

Thanks

Unless the garage removed the pads then they won't know what they are. My best bet is EBC reds. 

What are you expecting them to say or do? If you are happy with the way the brakes feel and work just enjoy the car :D

Yes, I am happy the way the car drives and brakes. According to the manufacturer/distributor they are some sort of ceramics and provide better braking. The thing that I don't understand why they have pointed it out as it is a problem. 

Paul P

I would like to keep the garage's name undisclosed, however, it is a well respected and known Indi.

The garage looked at the car as I needed a valuation for my new insurance due to 'agreed value', they refused to give a valuation without seeing the car and rightly so. The car is already booked in for the repairs and MOT.

Other observations were:

1. Front disks are old with corrosion ring and were fitted with new pads (the red pads).

2. gear box rubber mounts are shot and in need of replacement.

3. An old dry small spot of coolent on the gearbox.

4. Wheels need refurbishment.

5. Oil cooler and pipes are a bit rusty.

6. Rear bottom ball joint rubbers are just starting to come away.

7. Heater control buttons are worn away.

8. Roof switch is upside down (this will be left as there is a need to remove the console).

Fair enough. Wasn’t looking to name and shame but the context of who and  why is important. 

If it had been a halfrauds free winter check then I wouldn’t have been surprised if they had added “.... and the sky is blue”

Given they know what they are talking abut They should be able to tell you what they meant, but on the face of it noting the pads were a particular brand / manufacture doesn’t seem to add much to overall picture. 

Archived