MoT pass

golfprorich

Went through today with just the same advisories as last year, corrosion on front brake pipes. I'll get them done anyway once it warms up a bit!!

Thinking of re-MoT'ing it in the summer anyway as if it fails at this time of year it's way too cold to be working on a car!! 😑

Good strategy.  Was pleased to find my car has an early May MOT date when I bought it in September so I can get it to my local independent in April for annual service and a pre-MOT check and have hopefully OK weather to do the bits I can do myself to get it through if any are needed.

Need to get my MOT done but have postponed it till March, as I'm not using it and I need to do some work on the brake pipes.

So the plan is to have MOT'd and serviced in March, so the following year everything will tie in nicely. 

11 hours ago, Sanky said:

Need to get my MOT done but have postponed it till March, as I'm not using it and I need to do some work on the brake pipes.

So the plan is to have MOT'd and serviced in March, so the following year everything will tie in nicely. 

I think unless your car is sorned it is compulsory to have it MOT'd. My car failed for a split CV gaiter. £40 for the gaiter! Whereas my son'e EOS also failed and his CV gaiter was £14!

Mine also passed yesterday, and as I was working on it last weekend to help it pass I was thinking exactly the same about just doing another MOT in summer. Especially when the hail started dropping on me while I had all four wheels off! Unfortunately it still needed work to pass - I really ought to update my cars thread.

They must be reaching that age; mine had an advisory on crusty brake pipes too.

CV gaiter is only about £10 from design911 assuming you fit it yourself...... I did all 4 for just over £40 back in September, did take about 8 hours on my back on the drive using axle stands to support the car and didn't remove any exhaust parts and teh driveshafts stayed in the hubs.  Passenger side trickier than driver's side.

4 hours ago, ½cwt said:

CV gaiter is only about £10 from design911 assuming you fit it yourself...... I did all 4 for just over £40 back in September, did take about 8 hours on my back on the drive using axle stands to support the car and didn't remove any exhaust parts and teh driveshafts stayed in the hubs.  Passenger side trickier than driver's side.

Did you manage to mark up the position of the bolts that you took out to avoid needing an alignment after doing it? I need to replace the outer gaiter at the rear driver side of mine - I'd rather not split the hub if possible. 

39 minutes ago, MattO89 said:

Did you manage to mark up the position of the bolts that you took out to avoid needing an alignment after doing it? I need to replace the outer gaiter at the rear driver side of mine - I'd rather not split the hub if possible. 

The outers are more awkward because you cannot separate the outer CV joint from the driveshaft. You need to remove the inner CV joint then slide the new gaitor down. But it can be done without  removing the driveshaft from the hub

On 1/30/2019 at 9:48 AM, the baron said:

Also a good strategy to try and coincide your MOT date with your tax renewal so you dont forget to get the car MOT’d which ive done a few times.

Have a look at know your car app.  Quite handy for reminding you of things like mot date. 

On 1/30/2019 at 9:48 AM, the baron said:

Also a good strategy to try and coincide your MOT date with your tax renewal so you dont forget to get the car MOT’d which ive done a few times.

You can now sign up at the gov web site for MOT reminders by email. I now have all my vehicles set up there as I have forgotten on a couple of occasions.

2 hours ago, Sussexlad said:

You can now sign up at the gov web site for MOT reminders by email. I now have all my vehicles set up there as I have forgotten on a couple of occasions.

👍

19 hours ago, MattO89 said:

Other than the undertray components, 6 driveshaft bolts, the roll bar mounts and drop links, the only suspension bolt I removed was the tuning fork bolt to give fore/aft movement, the eccentric bolts remained in position so should not have affected geometry, however I am planning a full geometry check in the spring after the car goes to my local indy for its first full check up in my ownership in case some suspension work is required.  As golfprorich says you have to remove the inner joint to then pull the outer gaiter down the driveshaft so an opportunity to repack the outer with grease and to clean and repack the inner joint and replace the inner gaiter at the same time to equal out life, you dont want to be doing this dismantling too often.  I did all 4 of my gaiters as three had fully split ant the 4th was showing severe cracking and potential to break up soon, according to the record they were 7 years and only 6000 miles old.

Sorry, hijacking an MOT thread here...

On 1/30/2019 at 11:26 AM, Sanky said:

Mine's sorned at the moment and MOT runs out in mid March. I'm hoping for a warm start to March and I can then get it on the road and give it a good run before the MOT. Otherwise, I'll just get it MOT'd when the weather warms up and hope the run to the MOT station is enough clean off the brakes and warm up the engine. It got an advise for scabby brake pipes last year, so I cleaned them up and greased them and was planning on redoing them this summer. Hope they get through MOT ok as don't fancy doing that in the cold😨

Ive always done cv gaiters with a cone stretcher, no need to remove cv joints. You do need a decent gaiter but warm them up, turn it inside out, bit of suitable lube and you'd be amazed how they stretch over the cone.

22 hours ago, Rev Ken said:

As I understand it, unless a car is sorned it must have an up to date MOT and be insured, whether or not it is being used.

Mines SORN’d and sat in the garage

Archived