What is PADM / Engine mount failure please

bluenote909

Hello everyone,

I read an article in the PCGB magazine Boxster register in Januaray's edition about a question received about engine mounts on a car that's 6 years old. I'm guessing it's a 981 or a very late 987.

The article reads as the attention the car needs is huge in terms of ££££ and just wondered as a Gen 2 987 2009 owner is this wide spread and indeed if it's a 987 or 981 problem or both? I had a lovely 986 which never had any issues apart from the creaky coffin boxes.

Just curious as to which model and how widespread the issue is, my car has averaged 5K a year over the past 10 years and is no garage queen and gets used every week albeit we have another car.

Kind regards and thank you,

Paul

This is likely to relate to the dynamic transmission mounts which are part of the sports chrono package on the 981.  They can fail, i'm guessing anywhere up to £2k for a replacement inc fitting. 

41 minutes ago, daz05 said:

This is likely to relate to the dynamic transmission mounts which are part of the sports chrono package on the 981.  They can fail, i'm guessing anywhere up to £2k for a replacement inc fitting. 

I had a PADm failure a couple of years ago. It was fixed under warranty. took about 6-7 hours.  I believe the part was cheap. Under £50 but the labour would have been another matter as I think the engine needs to be lifted to replace the parts.

The mounts can fail, as they can in the 911 (same issue basically), as said these come as part of Sport Chrono on the 981. The part is around £950 with 4 hrs labour.  I am led to believe that the  parts have been modified and they have seen no failures with the new parts (or so a tech at Sheffield OPC has told me).

On 2/1/2019 at 10:05 AM, Jofoley said:

I had a PADm failure a couple of years ago. It was fixed under warranty. took about 6-7 hours.  I believe the part was cheap. Under £50 but the labour would have been another matter as I think the engine needs to be lifted to replace the parts.

12 hours ago, Greenman said:

The mounts can fail, as they can in the 911 (same issue basically), as said these come as part of Sport Chrono on the 981. The part is around £950 with 4 hrs labour.  I am led to believe that the  parts have been modified and they have seen no failures with the new parts (or so a tech at Sheffield OPC has told me).

How many mounts to a car? If more than one, sounds like it would be worth replacing all at the same time while the engine is out. 

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

How many mounts to a car? If more than one, sounds like it would be worth replacing all at the same time while the engine is out. 

Two per car. I’m not sure what jofoley had replaced but it obviously wasn’t the same as me, as mine took just 4 hrs and the part is around £950 so in this case likely not worth replaceing both. It’s not an engine out task it just gets dropped( or lifted?) a few inches to make room to get the mount in and out. 

I am only going on what the service rep said at Reading Porsche. As it didnt cost me anything I didnt get a breakdown. 

two per car.  The dashboard will tell you, plus the handling feels less tight.

Porsche have it as a warranty replacements , but NOT on their  Porsche Assist list.  So if you do get the issue, talk nicely to your AA man and just say "not fit for purpose" 😉

Archived