Fitting Cayman side grilles - straight swap?

red rocket

Inspired by @lordlee in particular i am looking at doing a couple of (hopefully) subtle modifications. One is fitting Cayman side grilles if i can find any at a reasonable price. Question is, are they a straight swap? Looking at parts diagrams the frames into which the grilles fit are slightly different, the Boxster evidently having 2 horizontal slats and the Cayman 3.

They will fit but you need the inner frame and the Cayman outer grills. They are as rare as hens teeth second hand but look good on the Boxster. Not sure how much they are brand new but if I was going to buy new I would buy the Spyder/Cayman R  vents. 

Clive has the Spyder vents on his Black Edition and I may well end up doing the same 👍

56 minutes ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

They will fit but you need the inner frame and the Cayman outer grills. They are as rare as hens teeth second hand but look good on the Boxster. Not sure how much they are brand new but if I was going to buy new I would buy the Spyder/Cayman R  vents. 

Clive has the Spyder vents on his Black Edition and I may well end up doing the same 👍

Thanks. Yes VERY rare. New, primed but not painted, are £110.  When you say 'inner frame' do you mean from Cayman which obviously pushes the price up.

1 hour ago, Rob™ said:

are they not just the cayman side grills in the box sport edition? I’ve never checked, but I’d assumed it to be the case... if not, is that another option?

Sport Edition has standard grilles. Spyder has mesh.

8 minutes ago, red rocket said:

Thanks. Yes VERY rare. New, primed but not painted, are £110.  When you say 'inner frame' do you mean from Cayman which obviously pushes the price up.

Yep you need the inner Cayman frame to fit the Cayman grills to 👍

Just had mine sprayed basalt black - I’m biased but reckon it’s a great mod so go for it. Worth seeing if Steve has both of these for that price - he may do you a deal on the inners too. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F292522274334

Reckon the silver grills would look great against Atlas grey. 

3 hours ago, lordlee said:

Just had mine sprayed basalt black - I’m biased but reckon it’s a great mod so go for it. Worth seeing if Steve has both of these for that price - he may do you a deal on the inners too. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F292522274334

Reckon the silver grills would look great against Atlas grey. 

Thanks Lee. Have been watching that one. Maybe i'll call and ask whethee he's got both. Otherwise thinking i may paint the existing grilles Atlas Grey if i can get them out unscathed.

• 4 weeks later...

Managed to remove the existing side grilles and frames no problem. Having read various threads on here i warmed them first with a heat gun which, given it was pretty cold at the time, definitely helped. Bought the only 2 used Cayman grilles i could find with frames; the Silver one from Steve Strange mentioned above and a Black one from Jasmine. Cost about £85 in all. Sadly Steve Strange insisted on stinging me for £12 for next day delivery rather than sending them by 2nd class post which would have sufficed.

Have spent the last week prepping them (rubbed down with 600 grit wet and dry) to give a key, 2 coats of plastic primer, 2 Atlas Grey base coat and 2 clear coat. Now drying off in the utility room. Will probably wait a couple of days before fitting. And SWMBO is happy the house will no longer stink of pear drops! 

Pretty pleased with results though photo doesn't do them justice

nx4IsmW.jpg

On 3/19/2019 at 9:39 PM, bally4563 said:

Do like the look of those, next job will be tackling those weeds on the drive!!!!

When it gets a bit warmer. Don't mind working on car in cold and rain but garden has to bright and hot, why it looks neglected.

Archived