sound package plus

mark_j70

I am going to view a 987-1 this weekend (it would be my first Boxster).

It has some nice options, Xenons, PASM, Sports steering wheel, short shift & cruise control. It does not have bose which sounds superb in my Macan. My question is can SPP be upgraded easily with a replacement head? is this likely to make a difference or is the problem more deeply rooted?

Theres many members on here who have replaced the head unit & speakers.

Hopefully someone with experience will be along to answer you properly :)

What's the "problem" with Sound Package Plus? 

Also- BOSE or SPP are the speakers and the amp (and in the bose case some acoustic smarts for surround etc.) - the head unit in either spec is the same (or rather the same range).

I'm not aware there is a problem with it, but it was my understanding that Bose is superior, though i am quite happy to hear otherwise. More a problem is that i have just been emailed the build sheet and it does not specify heated seats, i didnt think to ask if it had them, are they not standard in a 981-1 if not this could be a deal breaker.

1 hour ago, mark_j70 said:

I'm not aware there is a problem with it, but it was my understanding that Bose is superior, though i am quite happy to hear otherwise. More a problem is that i have just been emailed the build sheet and it does not specify heated seats, i didnt think to ask if it had them, are they not standard in a 981-1 if not this could be a deal breaker.

Personally - I wouldn't make it a deal breaker ....... more details (if you are interested).....

People normally upgrade the head unit to get more functionality - iPhone/AUX/USB in and/or bluetooth for hands free or audio streaming - or sometimes, Carplay or Android Auto, dedicated NAV, reverse cameras etc. Depending on what you have to start with - there may be options that for a unit that pretends to be the CD autochanger.  Picture changes slightly with PCM3 (if car is specced with it) in the 987.2's - but for .1 - it's a recurring theme for upgrade.

From an audio point of view - Personally, I don't hear much difference - comparing my SPP in my 987.2 to my buddies BOSE in his 987.1 but is either "good enough" is a personal call - I think either are OK. From a feature point of view - BOSE has some toys, a subwoofer, and some smarts for surround sound and some ambient noise adaption (I think it's call Audio Pilot but not 100% on that). But - he found turning off Audio Pilot and Surround (perhaps they are part of the same) gave him the best sound. I don't think a auto audiophile would rate either system as "good" - but in a convertible, at the national speed limit, with the roof down - I can still hear the tunes - so - good enough for me.

When it comes to upgrading head units - it gets complicated - BOSE is FIBRE OPTIC - using the MOST bus, so to get from a non Porsche head until to BOSE requires an adapter (costs about £160) to go from "copper on the back of the head' to "fibre in the front of the amp". There's also some fiddling about to make sure the amp gets powered etc. - there are some plug and play replacement head units (Dynavin and XTRONS) come to mind - not cheap - but generally well received by those who have gone that far. - these units plug into the MOST bus..... Others have gone down the route of abandoning BOSE altogether - issue there is the speakers are "funny" (unusual impedance) - so to remove BOSE you need new amp, new cables, new speakers. On the other hand the SPP system uses an ASK amp - that - as far as I know - uses conventional "copper" connections. Apart from a bit of power again - this amp is more receptive to head unit upgrades as far as I know. 

Also - as far as I know - any third party solution appears to lose the steering wheel controls if you have them.

As to heated seats - no - not standard - - again personal preference - I don't have them - but they will be highly desirable for the next car - I want them - but I am one of those "obsessed with roof down" types.

One thing - build sheets aren't always right (and sometimes if a seat that does have them as standard is specced - then they might be there without being mentioned) - get a photo of the centre console/dash - you will see if the buttons are there for the seats and you will get a clue about what head unit the car has. (post the photo hear and we can point out what the buttons are).

Good luck with the search.........

Consensus here is in the 987.1 Bose is not sounding so much better than SPP, but is a sod to upgrade for the reasons outlined above. So if you buy one without and factor in a few hundred to upgrade, you'll end up with a far better system.

Does the SPP have the rear speaker? Mine is just bog standard (i.e. very poor) and therefore I have storage - watched a video for fitting the speaker, absolutely not something I would try... got three thumbs and 12 fingers on each hand so would end up making a royal mess with the dremel.

On 2/27/2019 at 9:51 PM, mark_j70 said:

It does not have bose which sounds superb in my Macan.

To be fair the Macan is so well ‘road noise insulated’ it’s not hard for the sound system to sound very good.

There are members of the Macan forum who don’t even have BOSE and state the quality is still very good.

The Boxster on the other hand is a whole different ball game

Good luck with your search :)

6 hours ago, Rob™ said:

Does the SPP have the rear speaker? Mine is just bog standard (i.e. very poor) and therefore I have storage - watched a video for fitting the speaker, absolutely not something I would try... got three thumbs and 12 fingers on each hand so would end up making a royal mess with the dremel.

No rear speaker with SPP. I think the amp drives the door speakers and you get a reasonable (in my opinion) bass without going wooly.

i can still hear it fine at high speed with the roof down. 

Archived